How do you express outrage to a sufficiently high level?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

How do you express outrage to a sufficiently high level?

Postby Positive Passion » 11 Dec 2021, 07:59

There a seriously miserable story about three Brazilian boys called Lucas, Alexandre and Fernando around - I found it in a short report in the Guardian. They are the poorest of the poor, and about a year ago they got on the wrong side of some gangster (these are 10/11 year old kids, remember) and were killed (the scanty details I have read are just awful - you can find them yourself if you really want and I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg).

Of course I realise terrible things happen all the time, and also that the vast majority of people live their lives without encountering terrible things. These kids probably weren't the only ones to die in that city that day.

The thing is I can't find the words to express how fucking beyond fucking outrageous this really is. Swearing even in capital letters doesn't seem to get out what I'm trying to say.

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING also doesn't seem an adequate response.

Six String

Re: How do you express outrage to a sufficiently high level?

Postby Six String » 11 Dec 2021, 18:15

A friend of mine from Honduras is selling her house there because the gang activity is so bad it is longer safe for anyone to live there. One of the reasons she came to the U.S. was due to gangs and wanting to protect her son. It’s a brutal world out there.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 11 Dec 2021, 19:22

Even here in Montreal, generally a very peaceful city, there have been two especially worrying trends of late. Feminicides are way up in the past 24 months. Most of that is being blamed on the pandemic and its effects on families. The other, more recent trend is where street gangs attack random youths just to make their mark (apparently - I really only know what is being reported in the media obviously). That used to happen at a esser rate but more importantly rarely involved actual weapons and almost never resulted in the victims' deaths. Awful stuff.

I am the son of a policeman (who passed away more than 35 years ago!) who was also a hunter. We had guns and hunting rifles in the house when I was growing up. I always knew where the rifles were, hardly ever saw the gun(s). Ammo was well hidden and it was clear that none of that stuff was to be touched in any way shape or form. Never!

I hate firearms so much it's hard to describe. Hate is a mild word in this case for me. Heck, I hate violence in any form really. I was chastised on a few occasions, especially by teammates, for my passivity back when I played hockey as a teen. I'd rather take the verbal abuse than stoop to actually risking hurting someone physically, especially in a GAME FFS.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 11 Dec 2021, 20:21

The world is a shithole. Pre-pandemic I regularly visited Bogota on business. I'm far from a bigwig but my associates wouldn't let me go anywhere without an armed guard. Venezuela was the same. In 1981 I worked in Ivory Coast for 9 months. Got robbed three times. In 2018 I visited Rio de Janeiro. The poverty is indescribable. During my 20 years of living in Singapore a visited Vietnam, The Philippines, Indonesia etc. I saw people living in conditions so horrible I don't even wish them on Rudy Guliani. We are some of the very lucky few. Then again, in 1986 I stayed in a hotel near LAX Airport. My wife's passport and wallet got stolen when we exited the terminal. After dark we wanted to go for a walk. We were pretty much stopped from leaving the premises because it wasn't safe out there. We're a terrible race.

And how do you express outrage? You better don't. I refer to Joe Strummer's Know Your Rights.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Postby Six String » 12 Dec 2021, 00:48

Human beings can be so disgusting.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan