Genealogy

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Re: Genealogy

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Jan 2022, 17:20

Rayge wrote:I'm surprised Polishgirl hasn't leapt on this thread - she's very keen on this sort of thing

Late to the party, as per :D

It’s true; I have a genealogy obsession. It started when I was 12, and we had to put together a family tree for school. We didn’t know much - both my maternal grandparents were dead, and the paternals didn’t know much beyond their own grandparents- and that was sketchy. The biggest temptation was the story that we’re descended from the Pendle Witches on my mum’s side.

I started in earnest when I moved to London, and had regular trips to the Family History Centre in Islington- before everything went online. I’ve been adding to it since - most recently with the 1921 census - yum!! A couple of lines are back to 1600. My main struggle has been with my Lancashire Catholic line, as they tend not to appear in a lot of church records pre 1790 or so. I’ve done other people’s trees as well.

Like most of us, I’m from humble working class stock; my dad’s line mostly grindingly poor from Stoke, working in the potteries, and mum’s lines of mill workers and servants from Lancashire and agricultural labourers from Shropshire. You pick up masses of social history along the way. I like the fact that it gets me thinking about all those people before me and their ordinary lives - it’s almost like an act of remembrance ( I know that sounds OTT).

It’s like your own personal treasure hunt.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 14 Jan 2022, 17:25

I have never dwelved in this arena, but I would imagine the search is made much more complicated with fairly common last names? Mine is quite common in French Canada, Louisiana and of course, France.

I may get into it in a couple of years. I do find it interesting.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Jan 2022, 18:12

It can be- but unusual first or middle names can really help with that.

The searching can involve a lot of lateral thinking, which can be part of the intrigue! Sometimes, if you’re struggling to tie down ( not literally..) a direct ancestor, getting at them via a 3rd party can work - I found my great grandfather’s elusive mother by finding his cousin’s mother - the sister of my tricky one.

Occupations can help to narrow things down, too. Military records can include unexpected useful details. In the uk, jobs like police, railway bring extra records into the mix, and Victorian trade directories can be good.

There’s also a great, if somewhat sombre, website called Find A Grave where you might find a photo of someone’s headstone- that can give you DOBs and other family members. I’m not sure if it’s worldwide but it’s useful.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 Jan 2022, 19:01

Also the common surname is only one branch, You can follow mother's side and paternal grandmother for example if names are less common.

It's worth putting down what you know from family history. If for example you can go back to great grandparents, there's more names to work with. One thing I found particularly useful, although you'll need subscription, is that you can see public famiy trees which may ave been created already by more distant relatives and you can copy information from those.
We're way past rhubarb

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 14 Jan 2022, 21:47

You guys are giving me the itch. Really sounds like a lot of fun.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 15 Jan 2022, 00:17

The Fish wrote:Also the common surname is only one branch, You can follow mother's side and paternal grandmother for example if names are less common.

It's worth putting down what you know from family history. If for example you can go back to great grandparents, there's more names to work with. One thing I found particularly useful, although you'll need subscription, is that you can see public famiy trees which may ave been created already by more distant relatives and you can copy information from those.

Your story was really fascinating. I hope it continues to intrigue you and open new doors!
I'm increasingly drawn to this as in interest -maybe it has something to do with getting older and wanting to touch the past in a meaningful way before everyone else that is closely involved in it is still alive.
I wish I had asked Mum more about what certain things meant, but it's only long after she died that I could really get to grips with exploring Estonia on my own terms.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 15 Jan 2022, 12:33

The Fish wrote: One thing I found particularly useful, although you'll need subscription, is that you can see public famiy trees which may ave been created already by more distant relatives and you can copy information from those.

The only thing is with that, don't assume that other people's family trees are correct. I've found my grandfather, for example, on another subscriber's family tree, with a completely different family linked to him... I'd say if documents like birth certificates, census returns etc are primary evidence, it's best to treat coinciding family trees as secondary evidence, which needs checking to ensure it's accurate.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 15 Jan 2022, 16:25

I have a feeling that in my case, things would be easier for a few generarons on my mother's side, at least for a few generations. I'll hit into that little bit of Scottish in me (at least I assume Scotland, could be wrong of course). On my father's side, it's almost like looking at Smith over here and way going back.

Mom was a Valentine.