Milton Keynes

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Milton Keynes

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Nov 2021, 18:08

London is the most cosmopolitan, multicultural city in the world, over 150 nationalities. Everywhere you go, it's "where are you from?" In all the years I lived there, I was in hostels, room and board. In one hostel, we had cleaners come in every morning, and there was this Nigerian guy, whom I'd have a chat with, as I got ready to go out and face the new day. He was sympathetic to "smoke", and would always say, "You've got to lively up yourself." One morning he said, "You must go to Milton Keynes and find English Rose." I found that remark amusing, for there was some truth to the matter; there was London, and then there was the rest of Britain. London is an entity unto itself.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

jimboo

Re: Milton Keynes

Postby jimboo » 19 Nov 2021, 18:56

I lived in Milton Keynes for thirteen years, never met a Rose.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Nov 2021, 20:35

The point the Nigerian fellow was trying to make was that I needed to get out of town to experience the real Britain. Can't say I followed his advice. I only left town four times: Two trips to Brighton, a class trip to Bradford, and a day trip to York with my father. I never even saw Liverpool, probably a mistake.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Nov 2021, 22:50

I spent a night in Carlisle once, on the way to the Isle of Skye. That's third world country, that is.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

OUTPLAY
hounds people off the board

Postby OUTPLAY » 19 Nov 2021, 23:02

mudshark wrote:I spent a night in Carlisle once, on the way to the Isle of Skye. That's third world country, that is.

how RUDE!

it's the most ADVANCED place in the county!
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know who it is that is throwing plastic bags overboard from ships, but it certainly isn't me, and I've never met anyone who does that.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 Nov 2021, 14:35

That's says more about the rest of the country than about Carlisle.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Nov 2021, 15:55

Surely the point the guy was making was that you, or perhaps everyone, needs to listen to more Paul Weller.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 20 Nov 2021, 19:14

Why? I think he's from Woking and that's pretty much London, innit?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 20 Nov 2021, 23:54

mudshark wrote:Why? I think he's from Woking and that's pretty much London, innit?

Thank god someone asked. Because Weller wrote both Come to Milton Keynes and The English Rose.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Nov 2021, 00:36

Positive Passion wrote:
mudshark wrote:Why? I think he's from Woking and that's pretty much London, innit?

Thank god someone asked. Because Weller wrote both Come to Milton Keynes and The English Rose.

:D