Lunar eclipse

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion

Lunar eclipse

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Nov 2021, 20:43

I love stuff like this. Apparently it will be quite hard for Londoners to see because the moon will be near the horizon, even if no clouds. I will have a look tomorrow anyway.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Lunar eclipse

Postby souphound » 18 Nov 2021, 21:22

I have been an astronomy buff since my teens and love events like that. Luckily, lunar eclipses are relatively frequent compared to solar ones, but still intreresting sights.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Nov 2021, 08:49

Oh well - solid cloud cover

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 19 Nov 2021, 16:47

Yeah same here. Plus it was rather late in the day here. It started after 1am. I was still up but nothing to see, not that I looked as zonked as I was.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 19 Nov 2021, 19:26

Frankly I even get excited at a full moon, or seeing Venus in the sky. A few years back I was in the centre of Australia, sleeping outdoors. The Milky Way was just dazzling. Whenever I surfaced in the night I would check the progress of Venus, Jupiter and Mars across the sky.

Little dude was given some award recently which won £250 for his scout troop. He asked that they spend it on a decent telescope - which they did.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 20 Nov 2021, 16:11

The Milky Way is a fantastic sight when you have a dark night/clear sky. Jupiter is also quite the sight these days. Absolutely dazzling.

I would go nuts if I lived in the country. In the city, unfortunately, the experience is much more subdued unfortunately.