US elections

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jumper K

US elections

Postby Jumper K » 03 Nov 2021, 08:49

Interesting night in Virginia and New Jersey. Democrats seem to be in trouble. What I find interesting was Youngkin’s campaign which pointed to what I think the GOP strategy will be in 2 years, namely acknowledging Trump and some of his policies, but playing down the strident stupidity. Of course I might have completely misread everything.

Charlie O.

Re: US elections

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Nov 2021, 23:59

No, I think that's about right.

Personally, I'm all in favor of the Republicans playing down the strident stupidity. I'd be more in favor of them curbing it altogether, but I'll take what I can get.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Nov 2021, 16:33

I hope this is a wake-up call for the left wing Democrats. This country is not ready (yet) for a big swing to the left. They need to bide their time and in the meantime listing to the conservative democrats and the blue collar people who are feeling betrayed by the Dems and are starting to listen to the GOP again. If this is not going to happen I fear the mid-terms will be a disaster for them.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Nov 2021, 17:03

I am so frustrated with the Dems and especially Manchin that I am close to canceling my newspaper sub and ignoring it all. Not that I won’t vote mind, but as Mudshark said, the far left are overplaying their hand and they are going to lose everything. At least we got four years without Trump but what comes in 2024?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 04 Nov 2021, 17:50

If they don't get something done on Climate Change we can all look forward to even more fires and hurricanes and floods and by then 1.75 Trillion will seem a drop in the bucket.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Nov 2021, 17:55

Yes, I'm frustrated with Manchin too, but we've got to realize that the people of West Virginia have different interests than those in Brooklyn or San Francisco. The AOC crowd have to come off their high horse and compromise. I just drove 2,400 miles over the U.S. highway: that domestic bill really has come through!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 04 Nov 2021, 18:12

mudshark wrote:Yes, I'm frustrated with Manchin too, but we've got to realize that the people of West Virginia have different interests than those in Brooklyn or San Francisco. The AOC crowd have to come off their high horse and compromise. I just drove 2,400 miles over the U.S. highway: that domestic bill really has come through!

By "different interests" I take it you mean coal ? Joe Manchin receives more money from the coal industry than anyone other senator in the US so its no surprise he's standing in the way. So the world has to pay the price of climate change because the people of WV can't seem to understand or don't care that burning is coal is destroying the planet ?

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Nov 2021, 18:15

Until there are an extra handful of Democrats in the Senate, that appears to be the case.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 04 Nov 2021, 18:19

der Freiherr wrote:Until there are an extra handful of Democrats in the Senate, that appears to be the case.

Exactly.
It seems to me to be an act of supreme stupidity to destroy your own home.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Nov 2021, 18:59

Not only the coal. Democrats in (among other places) WV are just a lot more conservative in general.
Why is it that the GOP can put together agenda that gets approval from the vast majority of their backers while the Dems. never seem to be able to do this? Change must come in small steps.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Nov 2021, 19:00

While I’m at it, there were rumors Manchin could switch parties which heightens the anxiety facing Supreme Court watchers who eagerly await Justice Breyer’s retirement. It doesn’t appear that he’s learned from RBG’s mistake of hanging on too long.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Nov 2021, 19:01

mudshark wrote:Why is it that the GOP can put together agenda that gets approval from the vast majority of their backers while the Dems. never seem to be able to do this? Change must come in small steps.

Because Republicans appear to be united by common, pernicious grievances. There was nothing “conservative” about Trump’s policies, to the extent he had any. The party is united by animus and fear.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Nov 2021, 20:36

This has been a problem for ages. USA in elections are not run by the Dems or the Reps. It's run by the independents the Dems never get this. They win the presidency and then get nothing done because they are in disagreement within their own party and its way more than just Manchin. The republicans get stuff done because they don't have the same problem. That then pisses off the independents who then turn their back on them and vote Rep. Then the Rep gets in and they destroy the economy (funny they always get quoted as the better party for the economy) and the independents flip back to the Dems. American house wives also are jumpy.

The dumb ass Democrat's seriously are getting worse. It will not get better as they will never get 60 senators to vote on anything and most likely the next election will put the Dems back under 50 senators.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 04 Nov 2021, 21:59

Hightea wrote:This has been a problem for ages. USA in elections are not run by the Dems or the Reps. It's run by the independents the Dems never get this. They win the presidency and then get nothing done because they are in disagreement within their own party and its way more than just Manchin. The republicans get stuff done because they don't have the same problem. That then pisses off the independents who then turn their back on them and vote Rep. Then the Rep gets in and they destroy the economy (funny they always get quoted as the better party for the economy) and the independents flip back to the Dems. American house wives also are jumpy.

The dumb ass Democrat's seriously are getting worse. It will not get better as they will never get 60 senators to vote on anything and most likely the next election will put the Dems back under 50 senators.

Yes, wash rinse and repeat

The Republicans get back in, more tax cuts for the rich, rip off Joe Sixpack some more, run off with the money and run the country into the ground then hand it back over to the Dems.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 17 minutes ago

I hope you're right because I dread different. I don't think they plan on giving it back this time.
they are systematically removing all the safeguards that kept TRUMP from staying put. they are gerrymandering the fuck out of districts that have already been gerrymandered the fuck out of. Wisconsin has replaced bi-partisan election officials with straight up partisans. they won't be the last. Poll workers are being intimidated. "poll watching" and ID laws are openly intimidating voters from participating.

I think the voter suppression is landing with both feet. The Republicans are fixing it so that they don't lose until they say so. I don't think they plan to say so - EVER again.

meanwhile the Dems are playing with themselves. somebody needs to give them a drumstick and a drum to beat because they sure can't seem to find one on their own.
uggy poopy doody.