Answer these things

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Answer these things

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 21 Oct 2021, 16:36

Why do pictures of animals or humans sleeping promote tender responses from the viewer? What's special about sleeping as opposed to say, eating or running?

Can you do that thrrrrrp thing with a set of playing cards with your fingers?

What's something considered generally uninteresting by others that you find thrilling?

It's Thursday. What's the best thing you've eaten this week?

What's the deal about the Squid Game? Looks pretty vile to me.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Re: Answer these things

Postby Six String » 21 Oct 2021, 16:55

Why do pictures of animals or humans sleeping promote tender responses from the viewer? What's special about sleeping as opposed to say, eating or running?

Sleeping is a peaceful, unguarded time vs. running or eating.

Nope. Rebecca can but not me. I’ve never really tried though I think it’s cool.

What's something considered generally uninteresting by others that you find thrilling?

The details of sake making!

A lamb London broil pan seared, a triple cream Italian cheese I’ve forgotten the name of and an eggplant/onion/garlic/tomato dish I make during the eggplant/tomato season. Sorry, I couldn’t name just one.

I’ce heard of it but haven’t bothered to even read about it so I really don’t know.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Oct 2021, 17:09

True about pictures, for the same reasons mentioned above, but also true of the real thing. I am much calmer/quieter when my cat is sleeping, like right now. Little kids sleeping are the best little angels. :lol:

Yes, easily. I can also hold two stacked decks between my index and middle finger, cut and fold them. I have great hands for a pianist, long and lean. Can't play any musical instruments though. :x

Not sure about "thrilling, but I LOVE folding laundry. I like folding things anyway, but laundry? Let me at it. Please.

An easy one to answer, this week at least. Last night, for a snack, instead of resorting to cookies or chips or chocolate or whatever, I went for one of the two bio bartlett pears I bought a couple of days ago and which now looked just about perfectly ripened. It was so sweet, juicy, perfect that I couldn't help myself, forcing me to make the second one disappear too. Wonderful stuff.

Not my kind of thing at all from the little I have seen/know.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Flower

Postby Flower » 21 Oct 2021, 18:08

They are at peace and not doing anything naughty although they might be dreaming naughty thoughts.

Yes.

My garden in general .. also watching its inner life, the birds feeding, the bugs .. etc.

Jamaican Beef patties. I don't eat a lot of red meat and haven't had a Jamaican patty for a long time.

I don't watch the Squid Game but it appears to be partly based on a Tontine, except that the "players" don't put in the money.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine

Funny that you should post this question today as we watched "The Wrong Box" last night. "The Wrong Box" was about a tontine gone wrong. Some funny scenes and lines.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 21 Oct 2021, 21:26

Why do pictures of animals or humans sleeping promote tender responses from the viewer? What's special about sleeping as opposed to say, eating or running
It’s peaceful vulnerable and intimate I guess

Yes

Fonts

Last nights Tacos

I’ve avoided it

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Oct 2021, 21:32

Takes us back to the security of infancy.

Nope, but it sure looks good!

A record label like Decca.

Nuthin' good this week. Does Ben & Jerry's count?

I've only seen a few clips and will not be following it. But it is significant in that it has broken the American cultural hegemony.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 22 Oct 2021, 16:40

I’m empathetic to this image as I don’t get enough sleep and the quality of sleep is not good

Piece of piss

Tanks

Either some homemade cake by Mrs JKB or some homemade pakora by my wonderful colleague Noreen

I’m old, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Oct 2021, 16:57

I guess it's like pictures of babies sleeping? No real idea why it's cuter though.....

A riffle shuffle? Yes.

The technical side of sports - why a golfer plays predominantly with a fade as opposed to a draw. Why an American Football pass rusher will look at the offensive left tackles feet. How Shane Warne learnt to bowl a googly in five different ways - and why. That kind of thing. Wake up Anna!

A pork belly stir fry!

WTF is the Squid Game?
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Oct 2021, 19:22

I guess it's an internal acknowledgement that for a certain time we are all utterly vulnerable and unable to handle the mere job of existing without collapsing into an insensate state for hours at a time, thus prompting a sympathetic response.

No, but I probably could learn it if I cared enough to try.

The minutae of fantasy/sci-fi shows I follow.

Ann made some delish egg noodle/chicken thing earlier this week.

One of about a hundred Netflix shows that I've been told I need to watch, which I will get around to watching one of these days. Or not.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 23 Oct 2021, 13:29

I quite enjoyed Squid Game. I can't quite see how it's THE no1 Netflix show but it shed some light on how people down on their luck could act with the lure of money in front of them.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 23 Oct 2021, 16:04

It's a sweet thing.

Oh yeah.

Was getting excited the other day seeing some tree replanting along the Bronx River after the Ida storm did damage.

Lamb stew at a delightful Irish restaurant in New Paltz.

Not familiar with it.
The crazy music drives you insane

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 24 Oct 2021, 10:13

You obviously haven't ever seen a picture of me sleeping.

Not very well. My son studied magic for a few years and he's rather good at that sort of thing.

Me.

On a more serious note, there are too many to mention. One New Year's Day, a friend and I drove his girlfriend nuts by talking about sandwiches for three solid hours. I also love all science matters and I can never find anyone willing to talk about it with me.

Probably some crisps I had yesterday. I've recently been diagnosed with crap cholesterol levels and reeeeeeeally high blood pressure so I've cut out all the food I actually like. I was visiting a friend and allowed myself a little treat yesterday.

It is vile; brutal even; but pretty riveting stuff. I've only managed to watch three random episodes but I've 'enjoyed' them, in a 'hiding behind my hands', sort of way.
As the Prof mentioned, it's an interesting exploration of how people can behave in desperate circumstances. The acting varies between piss poor to excellent but the very human drama makes it quite gripping.
Bugger off.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 25 Oct 2021, 13:36

Why do pictures of animals or humans sleeping promote tender responses from the viewer? What's special about sleeping as opposed to say, eating or running? Vulnerability and cosiness. Is that a word?

Can you do that thrrrrrp thing with a set of playing cards with your fingers? I used to be able to when I played bridge obsessively ( I was such a rock n roll teenager ). Now, not so much, but I can eat 5 Tunnock’s caramel wafers on the trot.

What's something considered generally uninteresting by others that you find thrilling? Lots of geeky history stuff. I’m currently doing a WEA course about Tudor foreign policy. Once a rocker, always a rocker.

It's Thursday. What's the best thing you've eaten this week? I’m addicted to Naked chilli chicken ramen soup - suitable for vegetarians, praise the Lord and all His little cherubs.

What's the deal about the Squid Game? Looks pretty vile to me.No idea; my 16 year old niece loves it but she’s into all sorts of Korean shizz at the moment. I’m too busy watching the various iterations of Drag Race, and Rip Off Britain ( featuring the redoubtable Angela Rippon - you definitely don’t want to cross that one ) .
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 29 Oct 2021, 13:37

I suppose the vulnerability thing is true- pictures of animals sleeping feel like an instant warm embrace.

No!

Rhubarb. Rhubarb cake, rhubarb crumble, rhubarb pies, rhubarb cocktails, rhubarb in any form. The look of it, the taste of it, even how the word looks and sounds. I've recently started wearing rhubarb note based perfume. Nobody else I know gives a shit about rhubarb. So yes- rhubarb!

Well it's Friday now, but the best thing is still the cauliflower soup from the NYT list of "Best veggie soups." It's just cauliflower, stock, onions with rosemary oil and croutons and it's sensational. Might be the best soup I have ever made.

Looks like y'all are as in the dark as me!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 29 Oct 2021, 14:03

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Rhubarb. Rhubarb cake, rhubarb crumble, rhubarb pies, rhubarb cocktails, rhubarb in any form. The look of it, the taste of it, even how the word looks and sounds. I've recently started wearing rhubarb note based perfume. Nobody else I know gives a shit about rhubarb. So yes- rhubarb!

I know I used to love rhubarb pie. Haven't seen any in eons. I do miss it. Warm rhubarb pie with vanilla ice cream. Mmmmmmmm.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.