Colin Powell RIP

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
C
Robust

Colin Powell RIP

Postby C » 18 Oct 2021, 16:27

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58957273

Colin Powell was an iconic American success story. The child of immigrants, he became the first black man to rise to the highest positions in US military and diplomacy.
In the 1990s, Powell was one of the few American public figures with appeal that crossed political boundaries - reminiscent of General Dwight D Eisenhower after the Second World War.
Unlike Eisenhower, Powell would not ascend to the presidency - although there were abundant calls for him to run.
Those calls dwindled after the 2003 US invasion of Iraq, a decision Powell later acknowledged was a "blot" on his legacy. He had staked his reputation on the presence of Iraqi weapons of mass destruction - and his reputation suffered for it.
In his later years, Powell became a different kind of icon. His drift away from the Republican Party following Donald Trump's rise to power reflected the dwindling influence of Powell's moderate, internationalist faction within the American conservative movement.
Powell's life may be somewhat overshadowed by his cause of death, as he now ranks as the most prominent American to succumb to Covid-19.

John aka Josh wrote:
C wrote:Covid....?!

nah, strictly corvids and to a lesser degree Corbyns.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Colin Powell RIP

Postby souphound » 18 Oct 2021, 17:15

RIP. From what I know, as limited as that may be, he seemed like a good man.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Oct 2021, 22:55

His UN presentation on non-existing WMD's destroyed his reputation.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 18 Oct 2021, 23:00

mudshark wrote:His UN presentation on non-existing WMD's destroyed his reputation.

Very true... but his public condemnation of Trump did a bit to redeem him... still Iraq truly sucked.
the Eagles suck.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 18 Oct 2021, 23:16

Not for me. I found it incredible and ridiculous and unforgivable that he let Bush, Rumsfeld, Cheney etc. use him for one of the biggest lies since the Reichstag fire of 1933.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 19 Oct 2021, 10:38

mudshark wrote:His UN presentation on non-existing WMD's destroyed his reputation.

And it was only because people trusted him that the threat seemed credible. I remember watching the presentation and then being shocked at journalists and politicians claiming it had convinced them. If you looked at the evidence that was presented and ignored who was presenting it there was nothing there. Just a few blurry images of trucks, which were told were carrying WMDs.
Bugger off.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Oct 2021, 18:07

Exactly! But I don't believe for one minute that, for example, your Tony Blair was convinced any of it was true. He was convinced there needed to be a war and he used Powell's lie to justify it, while he very well knew it was all bullshit. And not only Blair of course, but I thought I mentioned him because I always thought of him as a evil scheming little rodent.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 20 Oct 2021, 10:23

Not that I'm in the habit of reading George Galloway tweets, but he quoted an excerpt from Powell's biography yesterday where Powell admits carrying out brutal war crimes in Vietnam including burning down whole villages.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Oct 2021, 11:04

As I recall, all the allies involved were somewhat surprised when no WMDs were found, Saddam never denied having them did he?
That's not to excuse anything that followed though, especially in light of the fact that one very significant near neighbour has shitloads of undeclared and illegal nuclear weaponry about which the west gives not a fuck.

The hypocrisy is staggering.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 20 Oct 2021, 15:02

He didn't know how to pronounce Colin.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Oct 2021, 17:26

I read this week that the name Nigel is extinct in the UK (well, nearly anyway). Colin (however it is pronounced) will be next, mark my words!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Oct 2021, 21:04

Deebank wrote:As I recall, all the allies involved were somewhat surprised when no WMDs were found, Saddam never denied having them did he?

Honestly?

I very doubt they even bothered looking, to be fair. It was all bollocks and they all knew it was bollocks, prior to any invasion.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Oct 2021, 13:45

Diamond Dog wrote:
Deebank wrote:As I recall, all the allies involved were somewhat surprised when no WMDs were found, Saddam never denied having them did he?

Honestly?

I very doubt they even bothered looking, to be fair. It was all bollocks and they all knew it was bollocks, prior to any invasion.

The UN spent some considerable time looking under every pebble.
Like I say, given that Saddam had bragged about all the shit he had stashed away for years, it was a surprise when none - especially the chemical stuff - turned up.

But again, that's irrelevant when Israel has stacks of illegal nukes isn't it?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Oct 2021, 22:13

Deebank wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Honestly?

Like I say, given that Saddam had bragged about all the shit he had stashed away for years, it was a surprise when none - especially the chemical stuff - turned up.

The UN was completely in thrall to the US - there were some very serious pressures applied, no doubt.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Oct 2021, 09:44

Diamond Dog wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Honestly?

The UN was completely in thrall to the US - there were some very serious pressures applied, no doubt.

Pressures to find something... And they found nish

For David Kelly the pressure was literally intolerable.

I think the intelligence agencies 'knew' he had WMDs because they ensured he got them in the first place - it is a matter of record that he used them on his own people and Iran a number of times. I don't think any of that is in dispute. The surprise was that any stocks he had left had been destroyed prior to the invasion. Not something many would have expected given his track record.

But IMO not any sort of justification for an invasion anyway.