Have you ever been to a fan convention?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Hightea

Re: Have you ever been to a fan convention?

Postby Hightea » 01 Oct 2021, 15:59

der Freiherr wrote:Over the years, I got autographs from Bob Feller, Mickey Mantle, Lou Brock, Bob Gibson, and a few others. An asshole kid conned me out of my Mickey Mantle 8x10 back in the day.

Yeah my mom threw out my entire baseball card collection when I went to college. I had thousands because my friend's father growing up was VP at Topps. We would go to his house and make up games to win his cards. He didn't care if he lost because he had more coming every day. While the baseball cards were worth money it was the wacky stickers that would have sold for more. I had several first series unopened cards.

I went to a football convention way back in the 70's don't really remember much. MY dad knew the coaches of the NY Giants and somehow he dragged me along.

Minnie is on fire.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 01 Oct 2021, 21:28

Yep. Neil Young somewhere in Birmingham. Around time of Sleeps With Angels. Ian McNabb did a set of Neil songs iirc. It was full of Neil obsessives and I felt a bit out of place.

Also a weekend of The Church at Bush Hall about 3 or 4 years back. It was fabulous. Solo sets, full albums played. Steve Kilbey sat next to me!
[indistinct chatter]

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 01 Oct 2021, 23:12

That Arlington Stadium.... I wish a was a beer seller back then. During a day game one needed an average of 20 pints a game in order not to get completely dehydrated.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 02 Oct 2021, 10:44

I went to an XTC convention as I thought I was a bit of an obsessive and would enjoy it but I was a amateur compared to others there. It was all far too nerdy and no band members attended. I didn't go to another.

Far more enjoyable have been the two Fortean Times conventions I've attended in London. Some really good speakers on diverse and interesting subjects and a lot less conspiracy silliness than I was expecting.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 05 Oct 2021, 18:16

trans-chigley express wrote:I went to an XTC convention as I thought I was a bit of an obsessive and would enjoy it but I was a amateur compared to others there. It was all far too nerdy and no band members attended. I didn't go to another.

Far more enjoyable have been the two Fortean Times conventions I've attended in London. Some really good speakers on diverse and interesting subjects and a lot less conspiracy silliness than I was expecting.

My Neil Young convention experience was similar. The attendees were really serious NY nerds. They didn’t even listen to the first play of Sleeps With Angels that had been arranged. Maybe they’d already heard it. Neil Young wasn't there either!
[indistinct chatter]