To Live Is To Fly

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

To Live Is To Fly

Postby Six String » 30 Sep 2021, 05:27

This is a bit pre-emptive but my cider/saké making friend invited me on a road trip tomorrow to drop off some some cider at a client’s place in Marin County and the pick up some saké at a distributor in SF after that with a good meal somewhere in town before or after. Vince is an entrepreneur so a risk taker so he’s always a wild ride to hang with and I love him for that. I haven’t been to the SF Bay Area in several years so looking forward to the energy of the city and the unpredictable nature of Vince. More to follow….
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: To Live Is To Fly

Postby der Freiherr » 30 Sep 2021, 12:52

Sounds like an excellent adventure!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 30 Sep 2021, 13:41

I’m incredibly jealous. There is nowhere else I’d rather be. Have a blast!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Sep 2021, 16:18

Thanks. Vince is taking an on line saké refresher course this weekend so he needed some particular bottles. He invited me to sit in with him but I’ll probably be busy moving into my new jam space aka The Lava Room so will pass on that opportunity. I can’t even remember the last time I went to SF.
Mickey Newbury

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Oct 2021, 05:08

Tl;dr version we had a blast, picked up some cool saké and ate some good food.
Vince’s regular delivery guy took care of the delivery to Marin so we didn’t have to take that detour so we drove straight to SF. He has a Tesla Model Y so we could use all the available commuter lanes going into the city which is a real blessing. Some spots requires three people to qualify instead of the usual two so having an all electric vehicle was very convenient. Now I have an old car, a 2007 Honda Accord so being in this new and all electric car was quite an experience even from the passenger side. 0-60 in 5.5 seconds! It’s so weird to have everything controlled from a single computer screen.

True Saké is in the Hayes Valley in SF, a very busy/popular area. It took us a half hour to find a parking spot two blocks away. The saké shop was receiving shipments and since they don’t have a warehouse they were spread all over the floor and customers weren’t allowed in the shop! They had a Dutch door and the sales lady helped us there. Fine for Vince as he had a case already chosen and boxed up but I couldn’t peruse the shelves which was disappointing but the woman was very helpful and really new her stuff. This is the first shop dedicated to saké outside of Japan and they have been open since 2002. So I picked out three bottles to bring home, two unpasteurized versions which are less common. We left the wines at the shop so we could walk around and do some shopping and lunch. We went to the Epicurean Trader to buy empanadas for take home. They had eight different flavors and I bought four different one which came in handy later.

The woman at True Saké recommended Sasa for lunch which is in Japantown. http://sasasf.com/#/ Vince used Google for directions and while we parked really close to it he referred to Google again and it sent us on a wild goose chase or maybe he misinterpreted the directions. We ended up walking in the opposite direction and finally realized we needed to turn back. Entering the Japantown mall we asked for directions. Unfortunately for us there is a restaurant called Suzu so we were given directions to there which was in the west end of the mall. Sasa was in the east end which we finally figured out and we arrived hungry and exhausted at 1:57. Sasa closed at 2:00. We gave them the sad eyes and they let us in along with a group of four behind us who swore they had called ahead for reservations so they let us dine. Yippee! We decided to make it easy since they were so nice and went with the chef’s choice so we had a bunch of different things including some amazing tofu dishes, soups and of course sushi and a good bottle of saké. One of the finest meals I’ve had at a Japanese restaurant maybe ever.

We head back to True Saké and pick up our wines and surprisingly there was a parking spot across the street from the door. We were prepared to double park since they were paid for and we only needed to pick them up. Due to our long walk before the meal we ended up leaving SF at 3:30 which is not very good if you are heading our way home. So the road was thick but thanks to the Tesla’s assisted driving it was easy. We get close to home, about twenty miles away and Vince gets a notice that he has enough juice for 28 miles. So we pulled into Davis for a super charge and he pulled out a frisbee so we played catch for about twenty minutes in the parking lot so we could get plenty of cushion for him to get home.

So I’m sitting here typing this out eating empanadas and chasing it with a bottle of saké I already had open, saving the new bottles to share with Rebecca. One thing I like about saké is that once opened it lasts a long time unlike wines which ai feel I need to drink within two or three days. So I will open a 720ml bottle for one glass if I want it and not worry about it going south anytime soon.

It was great being back in SF again. We had a fun time and we both rolled with the punches as good friends do. No stressors, another adventure. We were living, we were flying.

Unrelated, Vince is having a chili fest on Monday. There will be Hatch chilis roasting, Hatch chili cheeseburgers on the grill, two chili flavored ciders and a Salsa band from New Mexico for the music. Huza!

I need to add that when we parked in Japantown the sun was shining directly on the meter and as it is all digital these days I couldn’t read shit on the screen so I inserted my card, punched the + sign a couple of times and we left. When we returned the meter was flashing red which I assume means we were expired but I had no charge notice on my card when I got home unlike the other items I bought so we may have never been legal but there was no ticket on the window so……
Mickey Newbury

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 01 Oct 2021, 14:41

so shake the dust off of your wings and the tears out of your eyes... 8-)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Oct 2021, 15:50

Sounds wonderful love me some Sake. 8-)
Had a friend in the late 90's who knew his Sake we use to go to these underground Japanese bars in NYC where we would be the only Americans in the place. Most of them were in basements of office buildings in Midtown. Always got strange looks as we would walk in but loved them.

Reminds me I've got two bottles at home.

Six String

Postby Six String » 01 Oct 2021, 16:53

Two of the three sakés I bought yesterday are Namas which means unpasteurized although what it actually means is that it is pasteurized only once instead of twice during the production. They have to be kept refrigerated from shipping to storage as they will go bad otherwise and taste awful. So they are hard to acquire as most stores won’t carry them and you have to be sure that the store you buy them takes care of them properly. The saké we had with lunch had a manual process of mixing the rice and koji with long wooden paddles instead of a mechanical method which is more common. The learning curve is real steep for me at the moment and trying to keep all the key words straight in my head is confusing but like anything the more I talk about it and use the words the easier it is. My goal is not to become an expert so to speak but to be a better informed consumer and I do enjoy getting into the weeds with subjects like this. It is so different from wine and beer.
Mickey Newbury

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Oct 2021, 20:51

Six String wrote:Two of the three sakés I bought yesterday are Namas which means unpasteurized although what it actually means is that it is pasteurized only once instead of twice during the production. They have to be kept refrigerated from shipping to storage as they will go bad otherwise and taste awful. So they are hard to acquire as most stores won’t carry them and you have to be sure that the store you buy them takes care of them properly. The saké we had with lunch had a manual process of mixing the rice and koji with long wooden paddles instead of a mechanical method which is more common. The learning curve is real steep for me at the moment and trying to keep all the key words straight in my head is confusing but like anything the more I talk about it and use the words the easier it is. My goal is not to become an expert so to speak but to be a better informed consumer and I do enjoy getting into the weeds with subjects like this. It is so different from wine and beer.

very interesting which I knew more.

Hag-man

Postby Hag-man » 14 Oct 2021, 09:13

Geezee wrote:so shake the dust off of your wings and the tears out of your eyes... 8-)

We all got holes to fill
Them holes are all that's real.

So fill 'em with sake.
Avant-garde? It's French for 'bullshit' - J. Lennon, 1965.

Chunky wrote: I'm a country member. I don't need to remember; I'm constantly reminded.