Gavin Newsom

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Gavin Newsom

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 14 Sep 2021, 13:48

I haven’t been following what’s going on with this recall malarkey at all. Californians (or anyone interested) what’s the history, what are your views? No matter how much I read about it, I can’t get a sense of the ‘reality’ of it at all - if such a thing exists!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Re: Gavin Newsom

Postby Six String » 14 Sep 2021, 17:42

The recall has been an available tool for about a hundred years I think. It usually fails. Gray Davis got recalled because he wasn’t very popular and the (R) candidate Schwarzenegger was of course very popular with the masses so he got plenty of independent and some (D) votes. It’s not looking very good for the Republicans as their guy is Larry Elder is kind of a Rush Limbaugh so Newsom will probably survive this one. At least I hope he does. Elder is a massive cunt nugget. This law needs some serious tweaking. While it might be good to recall someone who pulls a Trumpian move, one shouldn’t be able to organize a recall just because one can’t win with a normal election. If there are enough votes to recall Newsom, a candidate could win and become governor for the rest of N’s term with only a few million votes. Newsom won in a landslide. Outside of getting busted at the restaurant in Napa he has done well. The state has a massive reserve of cash and Gavin has weathered the covid situation well. The problems the candidates are pointing towards were here before Newsome (fires, homelessness and a few others) so they aren’t going to wave a magic wand and fix them either. If the recall is successful and Diane Feinstein doesn’t complete her term, a Republican governor could choose a replacement and throw the Congressional balance to the Republicans so it could have serious consequences. Diane is in her 80s and really needs to go imo but leaving before the next election could be disastrous for the Dems if they aren’t in the driver’s seat.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 14 Sep 2021, 19:40

Six String wrote:If the recall is successful and Diane Feinstein doesn’t complete her term, a Republican governor could choose a replacement and throw the Congressional balance to the Republicans so it could have serious consequences. Diane is in her 80s and really needs to go imo but leaving before the next election could be disastrous for the Dems if they aren’t in the driver’s seat.

That's the major interest for non-Californians. A recall and an expired Diane Feinstein would mean Joe Manchin becomes the least of the left's worries.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 14 Sep 2021, 19:44

I meant to say throw the Senate balance to the G.O.P. and not the entire Congress but you knew that.
Mickey Newbury

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 15 Sep 2021, 01:04

Thanks Les. The part of this that I didn't understand was who had instigated and propelled this forward. Keeping an eye on the polls.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 15 Sep 2021, 05:14

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Thanks Les. The part of this that I didn't understand was who had instigated and propelled this forward. Keeping an eye on the polls.

I don’t remember who started it but obviously it was Republican led. Doesn’t matter now. Thank you Larry Elder for being so disgusting that you woke the Democrats up.
Mickey Newbury

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Sep 2021, 09:10

Democrats are a pretty huge majority in California, and have been for decades now. They may not love Newsome, but the Trump fans, as loud as they can be, are also vastly outnumbered. Even in 2016 he was crushed in the popular vote.

The top republicans are fortunately stupid enough to hitch themselves to that particular star. They never really had a chance in hell of succeeding.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Sep 2021, 22:32

California is one of 19 states that allow voters to remove state officials before the end of their term. No reason is necessary — the only requirement to put a recall on the ballot is enough voter signatures. That number for executive elections must be 12% of voters in the last election for the office, and must include voters in at least five counties. CA has 58. The magic number for Newsom’s would-be recallers was 1,495,709 valid signatures.

The secretary of state certified on July 1 that recall supporters submitted 1,719,900 valid signatures — enough to trigger a recall election. That means:

An election was held on Sept. 14. Voters began receiving ballots in the mail beginning on Aug. 16.

Voters were asked two questions: Do they want to recall Newsom, yes or no? And, if more than 50% of voters say “yes,” who should replace him?

California has actually elected a fair amount of GOP governors and fairly recently - Arnold ('03 to '11), Pete Wilson ('91 to '99) and Dukmajian ('83 to '91).

The coast, except for Orange Co. and San Diego, until recently, because of its large military population, tends to go blue. The middle swath of the state goes red.

And by the time Jerry Brown had his second rodeo, he was much more moderate than his first go 'round. As a Democrat, he believe in a balanced budget, fancy that, which is where Newsom got the surplus he enjoys today.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Qube

Postby Qube » 30 Sep 2021, 19:18

Glad that the recall failed, but Newsom is pretty abysmal in general... mostly being hell bent on closing California's last nuclear power plant which is supplying 10% of the entire state's electricity, and a huge chunk of its carbon free electricity, they'll only be able to replace it with natural gas and cause emissions to spike (which is exactly what happened to NYC this year after shutting down Indian Point).