Friday Questions are BACK

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Friday Questions are BACK

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 10 Sep 2021, 14:52

How far away is your place of residence from looking like your "dream home," whatever that means?

What was the last thing you burnt?

Swimming underwater with goggles on - overrated?

You wake up one night and decide to liberate the animals from a nearby zoo. Who are you going to free first?

What thing, person or place could you look at for literally hours, without ever tiring of it?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Friday Questions are BACK

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Sep 2021, 15:40

How far away is your place of residence from looking like your "dream home," whatever that means?
I am sitting in it right now. A two room apartment is all I wanted, and it's on the 1st (2nd) floor, perfect.

Don't remember.

Swimming underwater is overrated.

You wake up one night and decide to liberate the animals from a nearby zoo. Who are you going to free first?
I'd have the pandas flown back to their natural habitat. Letting any of them loose in society would be cruel.

What thing, person or place could you look at for literally hours, without ever tiring of it?
I tend to focus on an image when I am on the phone (landline). Right above me is the Japanese "Godfather" poster, and the bottom image happens to be Michael Corleone on the phone, so that is an obvious choice.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 10 Sep 2021, 16:22

Dream home - Not too far off - I have a room for my books and records - we call it the “music room” because the main stereo is in there, but it is more like a library, with comfortable chairs etc. I have another room for my guitars. We have a big bathroom with a couple of chairs in it - I don’t like a pokey bathroom. Lots of family conferences take place in the bathroom! My kitchen is pretty good, though right now it is too cluttered. I live in inner London near Victoria Park, so great transport links and a fab park, and these days the big Westfield shopping centre at Stratford.

Goggles - not overrated at all - you see a million times better with goggles on. When he was four or five little dude was a bit nervous of putting his face in the water and it was hampering his swimming progress. We put goggles on him and straightaway he was off all over the pool, face in the water, diving to the bottom etc, and has never looked back.

Watch for hours ….. the sea. The one minor issue with our house is that is not by the sea. We are giving serious consideration to moving to the Carolinas or Southern California.

Flower

Postby Flower » 10 Sep 2021, 17:01

361 Meters.

A bridge or two.

Swimming underwater is overated.

The guy who cleans up after the elephants.

My garden, love watching the bees, butterflies, birds and bugs as well as the blooms.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 10 Sep 2021, 17:05

Not even close, but it will do.

Not really the buffalo chick peas, but the pan.

I went snorkeling once, and loved it.

The giraffes. They're so easy to spot, they'll need a head start!

I was roaming around the Planting Fields Arboretum the other day and I saw a deer pop out of some trees. It was pretty idyllic.
The crazy music drives you insane

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 10 Sep 2021, 17:26

Hard to tell really. I love the area where I live. The abode itself is a little small, especially the living room. But in the end, I tend to be pretty happy with my surroundings wherever I find myself. I guess I adapt pretty well to the situation. I ain't moving any time soon if I can help it.

Other than a cigarette? Burning something on purpose, I actually can't remember when or what that would have been. Accidentally, a burned a badly positioned hole (with cigarette droppings) in a nice sweater that was given to me only a couple of days before. That would be about 2 years ago I think.

I really enjoy nothing about swimming, so, goggles or not, count me out.

Definitely the monkeys. I live across the street from a beautiful park where they would have an absolute blast. I'd bring them bananas (and rotten tomatoes to throw at idiots partying loudly late into the night).

Again, has to do with the park across the street. Among many other offers, it has a fenced in area for little ones to play on slides, swings, all sorts of stuff. I love watching little kids playing in groups, especially when not using a ball or anything like that. Just running, jumping, skipping, laughing.... Beauty and happiness in motion. Couldn't get any better.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Sep 2021, 17:29

It's there.

A brioche bun that I was toasting for a breakfast sandwich.

Definitely not overrated. Snorkelling in the ocean is great, and although salt water isn't as hard on the eyes as chlorinated water is, it's still difficult to see through without goggles.

Only the ones that would've been native to the area.

My dog.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Sep 2021, 18:52

Geographically about 200 miles. Financially about £150,000

Toast. Yesterday

I can't do it/don't like it. Don't like snorkels either

Giraffes. No idea why, but you never asked for that anyway.

A really good book.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 Sep 2021, 22:26

I'm sitting in it.

My left index finger, last Sunday,

I rather don't say

The nocturnal animals of course. They'll be quicker to react.

Fire. It's mesmerizing.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Sep 2021, 23:07

It’s technically not mine but my rental is as close as I’ve ever been to owning something I really like. It’s 101 years old and it was the showcase house for the block back when it was built so lots of nice appointments like custom molding, beautiful hardwood floors and some unique items around the house.

Some bacon this morning. I had the burner a little higher than normal and tge bacon got very dark though still very edible. I mean, it’s bacon afterall.

Not for me as I’ve never been able to open my eyes underwater.

The raptors.

Monarch butterflies or looking out at the Pacific Ocean from Salt Point, Sonoma County.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 11 Sep 2021, 00:35

mudshark wrote:

Fire. It's mesmerizing.

Ooooooh. Good one. I love staring at (contained) fire.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 11 Sep 2021, 00:36

Our house is a late-70s suburban house. It is quite a long way away from any of five or six iterations of a personal dream home. But it's spacious, has a pleasingly wild back yard, my wife seems to like it, and we're so lucky to have it that it would be really wrong to actually complain. From time to time, when I turn the corner and see it sitting there, it does make me very happy to know that it's ours.

Toast, last week.

If you had goggles that held a dependable seal, then it would be hard to beat!

This is unlikely to happen to me, but it does seem likely to happen to my wife. So, I would help her free whatever she decided to free first. I'm sure she has strong feelings about this topic.

I like the approach to Pirita Beach, on the outskirts of Tallinn. You go through a forest of towering pine trees and all of a sudden, you can see the beach in an opening in the pines. Growing up only knowing the Gulf of Mexico, it's totally mind blowing to have a pine forest abutting a nice beach. They probably have this shit all over Canada and the upper midwest as well (Wisconsin, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, maybe?). I've been to some spectacular beaches in California that are more dramatic and maybe more beautiful, but I find a peace and happiness being that far north, on the Baltic.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 11 Sep 2021, 05:50

It's never going to be perfect, and it's plenty small, but yeah - like the Baron says, I like it, my wife likes it, and sometimes when I'm hanging out on the back porch drinking a glass of wine, sometimes it at least seems perfect in the moment.

Toast, yesterday.

Not much of a swimmer, so I'm not very likely to do it or overrate it.

Unlikely to happen, as, sadly, I suspect zoo life is probably cushier for them than having to scrounge for food in an area that humans are horning in on. There are wild cats fairly close to us. I don't think they have it that good.

My wife! She sometimes wishes I'd stop staring.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 11 Sep 2021, 10:07

Nearly there. I am about halfway through the hall at the moment. Just the william Morris Wallpaper and the stair runners to do. But that is a mountain of work. Then the new shower in the guest bathroom, and I think we are done. I don't know what I will do then...

My hand getting a pizza out of the oven.

don't like them

Baggy Point. 'd post a picture, but it will not do it justice.
You don't like me...do you?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 11 Sep 2021, 10:59

yomptepi wrote:. I don't know what I will do then...

Surely you start again.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Sep 2021, 12:44

My mother always made the distinction between her house - the building - and her home - the stuff, furnituIre, furnishings, ornaments and so on. I've always been more or less happy with my stuff, wherever it's housed. I don't have a 'dream home': I've lived in some nice places over the decades, and my tastes have changed with age and circumstances.
Stick of incense
On the few occasions I wore goggles, I didn't like them, but I have no idea how they are 'rated', or by whom
As a good ecologist and animal lover, I just wouldn't
Depends on circumstances, but generally, the sky
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 14 Sep 2021, 17:05

Pretty far. Contemplating moving to somewhere near the sea.

Myself, out.

Difficult to say, if I was in a sea of sharks I'd like to be able to see

I'd release the bats.

The National Gallery, and have done recently.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 15 Sep 2021, 01:16

On the interior - the floor tiles downstairs need to go. They may be practical and cool in Summer but they stop everything from "gelling."
A few licks of paint, more pictures up, the upstairs carpet going and being floorboarded. The outhouse being floored and turned into somewhere to hang out. Of course we will spend ages getting round to doing all this as travelling is more important at the moment.

I over-caramelised some onions that I was frying in a chickpea and tomato curry. I quite liked the sweetness but then you get those nasty little bitter brown bits when you least expect them.

I'm a bit nervous about being surprised by things underwater so I would rather not look.

I need the animals that have some dexterity first so I'm straight to the monkeys. I'm going to give the monkeys a list of instructions about opening the other cages and hope that one of them is listening. While they are off (to the rhinos, stag beetles and koalas) I am going to head to the big tortoises. I can strap them on the back of the cheetahs, because otherwise they will take fucking forever to escape and they will just be easily rounded up in the morning by the milkmen.

Yosemite or the Golden Gate Bridge. Things of magic, both.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.