True!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24364
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

True!

Postby Deebank » 07 Sep 2021, 14:45

Image

Just saw this on a Church of the Subgenius thread on FB.

It's true isn't it? You would think that in their alien shoes.

At face value It looks like a warning - like the skulls on sticks around a head-hunter tribe's village.

I've always thought it was weird and not a little distasteful. :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36236
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: True!

Postby yomptepi » 07 Sep 2021, 21:21

Deebank wrote:Image

Just saw this on a Church of the Subgenius thread on FB.

It's true isn't it? You would think that in their alien shoes.

At face value It looks like a warning - like the skulls on sticks around a head-hunter tribe's village.

I've always thought it was weird and not a little distasteful. :)


Absolutely. It is an horrific image. And all the more so when you consider the story behind it. Brutal, perverse and disturbing.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 43030
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: True!

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Sep 2021, 22:06

Reminds me of Bill Hicks' line - "You think if Jesus ever comes back to Earth he's ever gonna wanna see a fuckin' cross again?"
Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 29692
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: True!

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Sep 2021, 22:41

Are you trying to start a religious discussion? :lol:

I do love Bob.

I will say this. While there's some truth in the idea that, should aliens come upon this particular scene, that it would not be, uhh...welcoming, it's surely far from the only troubling symbol of man's cruelty. And I think a super-intelligent race would instantly recognize that the cultural output of the earth as a whole is endlessly complex and varied, and without the cultural conditioning that humans (particularly Americans) go through, they would not recognize this particular one as any more important than any other. (Assuming, as I do from the imbedded cement block, that they are looking at a church rather than an actual crucifixion taking place.)
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 43030
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: True!

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Sep 2021, 23:05

Long as we're at it, hatz, they probably wouldn't be communicating with each other in English, either.
Image

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 29692
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: True!

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Sep 2021, 23:17

Charlie O. wrote:Long as we're at it, hatz, they probably wouldn't be communicating with each other in English, either.


True. But I'm assuming this is a translation. :D
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44757
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: True!

Postby der Freiherr » 07 Sep 2021, 23:26

toomanyhatz wrote:And I think a super-intelligent race would instantly recognize that the cultural output of the earth as a whole is endlessly complex and varied …


But compared to what?
If it’s that of a super-intelligent race, I wouldn’t be so sure! We (well, some of us) have a sentimental attachment to humanity’s best efforts, but there’s really no other reference point.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.