Milk on the rocks

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Milk on the rocks

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Sep 2021, 21:00

As some of you may know, I am rather fond of Pepsi-Cola, and I always drink it ice cold, as I feel all cola should be enjoyed that way. I fill the glass with ice cubes and use a straw in the illusion that it may spare the enamel of my teeth a bit. Minutes later, I get acid stomach and then it is time to neutralize the acid, which is best done by a combination of milk of magnesia chewing tablets, followed by one or two glasses of ice cold milk. Yes, I pour milk over the remaining ice cubes in the glass. It is more effective that way, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that milk is always best enjoyed with ice, just like the Pepsi-Cola is. You may wonder why I don't just quit the Pepsi, but I am addicted to that stuff. It's a substitute for coffee in the morning and in the evening it helps me swallow my food. My goal is to reduce my daily intake to those two cans; it is my daily struggle. A friend of mine in Vancouver says I ought to sue Pepsico for making me addicted, but I am not litigious, and besides, I don't really think I have got a case here.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Positive Passion

Re: Milk on the rocks

Postby Positive Passion » 03 Sep 2021, 21:18

40 - 45 years ago I would often have a pint that was half coca-cola, half milk. It tastes surprisingly good.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 03 Sep 2021, 21:23

Pepsi and Milk is a thing.
I wouldn't touch it, of course. Pepsi is terrible stuff.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 03 Sep 2021, 21:25

I mean, what absolute fucking nonsense is this? First, that people would actually have to take a blind taste test, and second, that they would choose Pepsi. Total insanity.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Sep 2021, 00:08

I remember that blindfold taste. When I saw Michael Jackson on the BAD tour in 1988, they had a booth for the test outside Wembley Stadium. I passed, of course, Pepsi has a very distinct aromatic taste. It must have worked for them, that campaign, as it went on for several years.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Sep 2021, 02:01

GoogaMooga wrote:It must have worked for them, that campaign, as it went on for several years.

Indeed!

Flower

Postby Flower » 04 Sep 2021, 12:20

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Sep 2021, 12:36

der Freiherr wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:It must have worked for them, that campaign, as it went on for several years.

Indeed!

And the Pepsi was served chilled, and the other cola not so.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Sep 2021, 13:30

I read somewhere in a pop-science (not fizzy-pop science) psychology book that Pepsi were confident that it would win the taste test purely on the basis that it was sweeter. So with a sip, people were much more likely to pick it because it stood out. However, they were also aware that people tended to find it sickly and overpowering for a full can, but didn't feel the need to push that particular message.
Last edited by Darkness_Fish on 04 Sep 2021, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Sep 2021, 13:31

Doh.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Sep 2021, 15:52

Gabe Kaplan shilling for Pepsi!

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Sep 2021, 19:47

Go cold turkey Googa and just drink ice cold water. Looks good, tastes good and does you good.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Sep 2021, 20:00

robertff wrote:Go cold turkey Googa and just drink ice cold water. Looks good, tastes good and does you good.

I may have to, robertff, as it is very difficult to cut down on it. It wouldn't be a problem if it were only two cans, but there are some in between, as you might have guessed.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 Sep 2021, 20:26

Haven't had a cola without rum in decades. And when I drink that, it has to be either coke or HEB's (Texas supermarket) Original Cola. Pepsi's too sweet for a proper Cuba Libre.
Last edited by mudshark on 04 Sep 2021, 20:28, edited 1 time in total.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 04 Sep 2021, 20:26

GoogaMooga wrote:
robertff wrote:Go cold turkey Googa and just drink ice cold water. Looks good, tastes good and does you good.

I may have to, robertff, as it is very difficult to cut down on it. It wouldn't be a problem if it were only two cans, but there are some in between, as you might have guessed.

I drank Diet Pepsi for years - I much preferred it to Diet Coke which I find a bit flat and sour. I had to reduce my phosphate intake for medical reasons so I stopped dead and haven’t really touched it in a two years.

I haven’t missed it - I tend to drink 7up now :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Sep 2021, 20:43

Not much of a Cola drinker myself but I prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke.

I don’t understand the ice thing, it just waters it down. Stick it in the fridge.

Milk just leaves my mouth feeling claggy.

There, that’s my contribution!

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 05 Sep 2021, 00:55

I'm one of those nasty Pepsi drinkers, in that I prefer it over Coke. In fact, French Canadians, Quebecois especially are often referred to as "Les Pepsis" by the rest of Canada. Not 10% sure if that's still the case ut probably is. Maybe Harv can testify?

As far as I know, that's been running for quite a long time. Ah well.

I drink mine with ice as well. Max 500ml a day I would say, with none on many days.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Sep 2021, 08:47

souphound wrote:I'm one of those nasty Pepsi drinkers, in that I prefer it over Coke. In fact, French Canadians, Quebecois especially are often referred to as "Les Pepsis" by the rest of Canada. Not 10% sure if that's still the case ut probably is. Maybe Harv can testify?

As far as I know, that's been running for quite a long time. Ah well.

I drink mine with ice as well. Max 500ml a day I would say, with none on many days.

I didn't know that about the Quebecois. So is "Pepsis" meant in an affectionate or a derogatary way? :)

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 05 Sep 2021, 12:34

Lord Rother wrote:Not much of a Cola drinker myself but I prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke.

I don’t understand the ice thing, it just waters it down. Stick it in the fridge.

I don't know why it is, but ice improves most colas when they come from a can or bottle (aren't from a soda fountain).
It may just be that British and Europeans don't use enough ice. :lol:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 05 Sep 2021, 13:55

der Freiherr wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Not much of a Cola drinker myself but I prefer Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke.

I don't know why it is, but ice improves most colas when they come from a can or bottle (aren't from a soda fountain).
It may just be that British and Europeans don't use enough ice. :lol:

Reducing the temperature will reduce the flavour (in anything), so I suppose it depends what aspect is more important to the drinker... although we’re talking about cola not fine wines.

The only thing that makes lager tolerable is low temperature.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro