Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65749
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Postby C » 27 Aug 2021, 16:48

Anybody got a quality photo image they can send me please?

I need a nicely framed Spitfire in my study




.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7473
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Postby robertff » 01 Sep 2021, 13:35

Pretty sure there were a couple of Spitfires in my neck of the woods yesterday C. about halfway along the A251 between Ashford and Faversham. Was out walking with my two grandsons when a couple went over.


.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65749
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Postby C » 02 Sep 2021, 21:55

robertff wrote:Pretty sure there were a couple of Spitfires in my neck of the woods yesterday C. about halfway along the A251 between Ashford and Faversham. Was out walking with my two grandsons when a couple went over.


.


Undoubtedly Rob.

The two seaters take interested folk on the Battle of Britain route

Out from Biggin Hill, Asford in Kent and North Weald, just across the water, to Dover and beyond to France if you have the bread

I bought a brilliant photo for my study of probably one of those two aircraft in flight over Kent.

A stunning photo. I can't wait to get it in a frame and hung alongside Frank Zappa and Columbo!





.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24663
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Postby copehead » 03 Sep 2021, 14:18

C wrote:
pcqgod wrote: I am also partial to Hawker Hurricanes.


The Spitfire and the Messerschmitt 109 were pretty equal in terms of speed and agility, and both were faster than the Hurricane. The slightly larger Hurricane was an easier aircraft to fly and was effective against Luftwaffe bombers





.


I think the general consensus is that the Me109 was superior as a war plane during the Battle of Britain - better armed with canon, it could climb and dive faster with no "bunting" ( engine cut out by fuel starvation ) like the Spitfire when going into a dive as it was supercharged, and better straight line speed. But later iterations of the Spitfire turned it into a better plane in the context of the whole war.

The Spitfire, and Hurricane, could both out turn an Me109, which is enormously important in dogfighting so evened things up a bit, but the Me109's main advantage was its better armament.

Is there any sound more stirring than the sound of a Spitfire? The intro of the Public Service Broadcasting song Spitfire where you hear a Spifire do a low pass panning across the speakers literally makes the hairs on my neck stand up every time I hear it.



Interesting doing a Krautrock/motorik influenced song about the Spitfire.

Bit more info on Deebank's and my Grandfather's involvement in the RR Merlin engine. He was a an apprentice at Rolls Royce in Derby and then went into their experimental workshop as he was a highly skilled lathe operator and my recollection was that he was involved in machining parts for the engines that went into the Schneider trophy winner of 1929 when he would have been in his early 20s soon after finishing his apprenticeship.

Th least time I saw a Spit I was walking down Compton Bay on the Isle of Wight with my Dad a couple of Summers back when we heard that unmistakable sound we looked at each other and then out and saw a Spit come over the headland and do a 200' fly past down the bay a good chat, lovely moment.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65749
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Postby C » 03 Sep 2021, 23:03

C wrote:Anybody got a quality photo image they can send me please?

I need a nicely framed Spitfire in my study




.


Sorted!

https://www.darrenharbar.co.uk




.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65749
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Supermarine Spitfire Mk I

Postby C » 03 Sep 2021, 23:06

copehead wrote:
C wrote:
pcqgod wrote: I am also partial to Hawker Hurricanes.


The Spitfire and the Messerschmitt 109 were pretty equal in terms of speed and agility, and both were faster than the Hurricane. The slightly larger Hurricane was an easier aircraft to fly and was effective against Luftwaffe bombers





.


I think the general consensus is that the Me109 was superior as a war plane during the Battle of Britain - better armed with canon, it could climb and dive faster with no "bunting" ( engine cut out by fuel starvation ) like the Spitfire when going into a dive as it was supercharged, and better straight line speed. But later iterations of the Spitfire turned it into a better plane in the context of the whole war.

The Spitfire, and Hurricane, could both out turn an Me109, which is enormously important in dogfighting so evened things up a bit, but the Me109's main advantage was its better armament.

Is there any sound more stirring than the sound of a Spitfire? The intro of the Public Service Broadcasting song Spitfire where you hear a Spifire do a low pass panning across the speakers literally makes the hairs on my neck stand up every time I hear it.



Interesting doing a Krautrock/motorik influenced song about the Spitfire.

Bit more info on Deebank's and my Grandfather's involvement in the RR Merlin engine. He was a an apprentice at Rolls Royce in Derby and then went into their experimental workshop as he was a highly skilled lathe operator and my recollection was that he was involved in machining parts for the engines that went into the Schneider trophy winner of 1929 when he would have been in his early 20s soon after finishing his apprenticeship.

Th least time I saw a Spit I was walking down Compton Bay on the Isle of Wight with my Dad a couple of Summers back when we heard that unmistakable sound we looked at each other and then out and saw a Spit come over the headland and do a 200' fly past down the bay a good chat, lovely moment.


Agreed!

Nice story

Probably the Mitsubishi Zero was the best fighter of WWII - certainly until 1943





.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it