Granting people an echo chamber

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Granting people an echo chamber

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Aug 2021, 22:35

Dimbo wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Do you vet those links you quote at all? I mean, like ever??

Yeah, fairly thoroughly to be honest. I'll cherry pick a point or two if it suits my argument. But then If you find an inconsistency tell me. I mean, do you vet all the claptrap you seem to believe like vaccines and masks and social distancing are really helpful?

I can give you all some context if you want, but I want to ask the board two questions:

1) do we really want to provide an outlet for this?

2) is there ANYBODY ELSE IN THE HISTORY OF POSTING ON THIS BOARD whose posts you feel the need to 'vet' for accuracy? (Yes, I know you can ignore them. Most of us do, successfully, a good percentage of the time. But wouldn't you rather look at 'new posts' and see more things you actually want to engage with?)

Personally, I'm done.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2022?

Sneelock

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Sneelock » 24 Aug 2021, 00:50

I think it might be time for the nice young men with the butterfly nets to pay Jimbo a visit.
uggy poopy doody.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Aug 2021, 03:54

toomanyhatz wrote:
Dimbo wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Do you vet those links you quote at all? I mean, like ever??

Yeah, fairly thoroughly to be honest. I'll cherry pick a point or two if it suits my argument. But then If you find an inconsistency tell me. I mean, do you vet all the claptrap you seem to believe like vaccines and masks and social distancing are really helpful?

I can give you all some context if you want, but I want to ask the board two questions:

1) do we really want to provide an outlet for this?

2) is there ANYBODY ELSE IN THE HISTORY OF POSTING ON THIS BOARD whose posts you feel the need to 'vet' for accuracy? (Yes, I know you can ignore them. Most of us do, successfully, a good percentage of the time. But wouldn't you rather look at 'new posts' and see more things you actually want to engage with?)

Personally, I'm done.

Does this mean you are done with debating Jimbo? If so, it’s about time!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Aug 2021, 04:46

Oh, FFS!

First off, I don't think it's possible to debate with him, even if I wanted to, which I don't.

The problem is not me or anyone else engaging him on any level. Whether we do or don't, I have discovered, has no effect whatsoever.

What I have reached is a point where I no longer wish to be part of providing him a platform to continue posting misinformation. This is a music board. I want to look at 'new posts' and see stuff about music. Or stuff about the lives of my friends. This is not a conspiracy board. But whenever the nonsense section has more posts than any other (as happens often these days), we give the impression that we are.

So I am asking the board if anyone sees any reason why someone on a music board who hasn't posted about music in years should continue to be GIVEN A SECTION in which they're INVITED to post pages upon pages of misinformation.

Basically, that is not the kind of board I wish to be part of any more.

I feel much like Davey felt when he posted this, which is, as of now, his last post ever on this board:

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Did my last post get deleted? Guess I’ll repost and find out:

I’m done with this. I spoke up in this thread in order to clarify why I’ve participated here less lately. Seems like several others are in the same boat. I’ve never had any great preference for Preludin (I don’t even have an avatar there) - but what I’m taking from this thread is that some folks here really want to push a decision.

So fine. You choose Jimbo, so that pushes me out. Take care.

You know what you get when you fight to keep Jimbo. You get more Jimbo. Enjoy.

The only difference is, I have some friends here, and enjoy the synch listens, and in fact a LOT of what USED to go on here. But I have had at minimum 5 different people tell me they are not posting here as much primarily because the board is dominated by his nonsense. I would really like to stick around. And I think it would be improved immensely by him no longer being part of it.

If it were completely up to me, I would cut him loose. But it's not my board. It's ours. So I'm asking the board what it wants. Does him being here serve any of us (including him) in any way? If not, as long as I have the support of the majority here, and won't be abused for it by people I consider friends, I'm happy to be the one to pull the plug, since no other admin seems willing to do so, and Jethro doesn't seem to be here to do it.

Basically, I think it will eventually come down to one of two things: More Jimbo or no Jimbo. I'm casting my vote for the latter.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Aug 2021, 06:59

If it comes down to you or Jimbo, Dave. I choose you. I don't read any of his nonsense, but I can well understand that allowing a platform for that nonsense is tiring and will drive people away.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 24 Aug 2021, 07:00

I agree.

I still have some residual affection for Jimbo, if only for old times' sake (I put him on ignore ages ago - one of only two posters I've done that with, and I'm not sure the other still posts here), but his batshit craziness does us no favors, and I've come to doubt that our effectively enabling him ultimately does him any favors. I used to think that maybe the rest of us provided some kind of Voice Of Reason tether-to-reality for him that he wouldn't get if he just spent all his time talking to other crazy people. But I'm no longer sure that's the case.

Pull the plug, I say. Sorry, Jimbo.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 24 Aug 2021, 07:32

I was heavily in favour of ditching him some time ago but I agreed with the compromise and, for me, it worked. He was out of the way and I could 'engage' or ignore it as I saw fit.

However, this point resonates:

toomanyhatz wrote:This is not a conspiracy board. But whenever the nonsense section has more posts than any other (as happens often these days), we give the impression that we are.

And also, I'd like to be able to talk about Covid and vaccines etc. in both positive and negative terms if necessary but I know that won't be possible while he's around.

I understand the resistance to deleting anyone at all but I think Jimbo adds nothing and detracts a lot.
It might even be good for him.

Delete.
Bugger off.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 24 Aug 2021, 08:07

I never notice he’s around anymore since you have to choose to make a trip to his dungeon to see what he’s up to. Most of the time i forget it’s even there. Works great for me. Though the ignore button was also working great for me, for the most part.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Aug 2021, 09:07

I have never once visited Jimboland (except for just now), so he doesn't bother me. I am all for diversity and different voices and opinions and in a crazy sort of way I think it's cool if the board can provide a little corner for a nutjob.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 24 Aug 2021, 10:58

GoogaMooga wrote:I am all for diversity and different voices and opinions and in a crazy sort of way I think it's cool if the board can provide a little corner for a nutjob.

I can recommend Twitter to you.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 24 Aug 2021, 11:11

der Freiherr wrote:I never notice he’s around anymore since you have to choose to make a trip to his dungeon to see what he’s up to. Most of the time i forget it’s even there. Works great for me.

Same for me.
Give a shit or be a shit.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Aug 2021, 12:24

der Freiherr wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I am all for diversity and different voices and opinions and in a crazy sort of way I think it's cool if the board can provide a little corner for a nutjob.

I can recommend Twitter to you.

:D Thanks, but no thanks. No more log-ins and passwords, please god. Personally, I think the whole concept of Twitter is a bit stupid. Insubstantial like a ten second soundbite from a career politician.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 24 Aug 2021, 14:05

In full agreement. Bye bye jimbo.

He can set up his own platform where people can choose to be pelted with drivel. I'm not one of them.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Aug 2021, 14:12

Yep, get rid.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Aug 2021, 16:06

error
Last edited by Samoan on 24 Aug 2021, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Aug 2021, 16:57

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:I never notice he’s around anymore since you have to choose to make a trip to his dungeon to see what he’s up to. Most of the time i forget it’s even there. Works great for me.

Same for me.

Me also plus the Ignore button.

The compromise works fine.

These threads suit me amply for the topic concerned.

- MORE random stuff about your day
- Post something you've learnt today
- Will I be the first BCBer to get their covid jab....?
- Corona kind of Life.
- The news today.
Last edited by Samoan on 24 Aug 2021, 17:33, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 24 Aug 2021, 17:02

dp/error

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Aug 2021, 17:45

While I also don’t visit jimboland and have him on ignore I wouldn’t miss his presence if he was banned. If he is keeping other more worthy people from posting then I say open the trap door and say buh bye.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Aug 2021, 19:23

Charlie O. wrote:his batshit craziness does us no favors, and I've come to doubt that our effectively enabling him ultimately does him any favors. I used to think that maybe the rest of us provided some kind of Voice Of Reason tether-to-reality for him that he wouldn't get if he just spent all his time talking to other crazy people. But I'm no longer sure that's the case.

Pull the plug, I say. Sorry, Jimbo.

A very sensible take that puts into words exactly what I was thinking better than I was able to. That's the thing about crazy, you can't fight it with logic.

There's only so much 'voice of reason' you can offer before concluding that 'reason' is just not in some people's repertoire.
Footy wrote:

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Aug 2021, 19:51

GoogaMooga wrote:I have never once visited Jimboland (except for just now), so he doesn't bother me. I am all for diversity and different voices and opinions and in a crazy sort of way I think it's cool if the board can provide a little corner for a nutjob.

Just for the record, I too am for diversity and different voices. But if someone's deciding on what the 'truth' is in advance and then ignoring all evidence to the contrary, you're not just allowing for a different voice or opinion by giving them a platform - you're basically saying if you give a consenting opinion you have no burden of proof whatsoever. We are providing an outlet for mistruth.

And we've had nutjobs - or at least raving eccentrics - for quite a while now. As I pointed out above, there is no one else in the history of the board whose every utterance is almost exclusively based on mistruths. And we're talking about thousands of posters.

Let's put it this way - people's posts here are vetted all the time. If a new poster came in and their first five posts were all anti-vaxx propaganda, and they posted absolutely nothing about music, I would not allow those posts. I don't think we should make an exception for someone just because they once posted about the Charlatans.
Footy wrote: