Granting people an echo chamber

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 28194
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Aug 2021, 20:01

I prefer to remain neutral on this matter, but if he is actually keeping old posters away and never contributes with music talk, you do what you feel is right, Hatz. We should be about music first and foremost, I think.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 29692
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Aug 2021, 20:40

And again, I am not disputing that there's an ignore function and that it's possible to ignore those posts entirely by not going there. But there is a 'new posts' function that I'd love to use without rolling my eyes.

And just for a little perspective for those who've suggested that responding to him is the problem - Jimboland was created in March - less than six months ago. We were just over 100 pages then, and the thread was a year old. It was mostly posts by one person there, but not exclusively so - there are at least a dozen respondents within the first few pages. Since then we've added 77 pages - with almost 90% of the posts by one person.

In other words, it's an echo chamber. We're not providing him a little corner where he can stay out of the way of the adult discussion. We're providing him a forum where he can post pages and pages of propaganda, to an "audience" that's already decided they're not interested.

If someone can give me a good reason why we should continue to do so, I'm all ears. But I'm sure not hearing it so far. And please note that the poll on the 'Ban Jimbo' thread - and guess who started it? - was more than 2/3 in favor of banning. 77 pages ago.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

User avatar
Mike Boom
Posts: 3729
Joined: 02 Sep 2005, 03:49

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Mike Boom » 24 Aug 2021, 21:43

I totally agree with Hatz .

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 29692
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Aug 2021, 19:46

Leaving this up for a couple more days just to see if anyone else cares to respond. But there doesn't seem to be anyone expressing any great desire to defend his presence here. I think that, combined with the decisive response on the banning thread (which, again, was started by him) makes it pretty clear what has to happen here. If anyone wants to raise any objections to that, now is the time to do it.

Now might also be a good time for him to pack his shit.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 788
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby mudshark » 25 Aug 2021, 22:54

Seriously, he's that quaint fella in Tokyo that used to share he breakfast habit right? What's he done wrong?? His eating habits may be unappetizing but other than that perfectly harmless unless I'm missing something? Is he a Qanon supporter or, worse, a Genesis fan? It's all fine with me. We don't all need to agree with one another, and I'd sooner agree with Alex Wilson than Peter Gabriel.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8115
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Aug 2021, 23:48

He is a ridiculous conspiracy theorist so yes, you can be pretty sure he is a QAnon supporter and he absolutely adores Genesis, especially Who Dunnit and Jesus He Knows Me.

I was in the minority voting no ban last year but his relentless daily-dozen posts of utter bollocks about all things Covid has been going on long enough.

I’ve had enough.

Only thing I’ll regret after he’s binned is not seeing his “wish I’d got the fucking vaccine now” posts of contrition when he gets sick with Covid as will inevitably happen one day.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3528
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Rorschach » 26 Aug 2021, 07:25

Lord Rother wrote:
Only thing I’ll regret after he’s binned is not seeing his “wish I’d got the fucking vaccine now” posts of contrition when he gets sick with Covid as will inevitably happen one day.


I'm slightly ashamed to admit that that's what i was thinking too.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11509
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Samoan » 26 Aug 2021, 10:15

toomanyhatz wrote:Leaving this up for a couple more days just to see if anyone else cares to respond. But there doesn't seem to be anyone expressing any great desire to defend his presence here. I think that, combined with the decisive response on the banning thread (which, again, was started by him) makes it pretty clear what has to happen here. If anyone wants to raise any objections to that, now is the time to do it.

Now might also be a good time for him to pack his shit.


viewtopic.php?f=47&t=148348&p=4128701#p4128701
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24364
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Deebank » 26 Aug 2021, 10:31

Lord Rother wrote:He is a ridiculous conspiracy theorist so yes, you can be pretty sure he is a QAnon supporter and he absolutely adores Genesis, especially Who Dunnit and Jesus He Knows Me.

I was in the minority voting no ban last year but his relentless daily-dozen posts of utter bollocks about all things Covid has been going on long enough.

I’ve had enough.

Only thing I’ll regret after he’s binned is not seeing his “wish I’d got the fucking vaccine now” posts of contrition when he gets sick with Covid as will inevitably happen one day.



Is there a secret room?

Where is all this happening?

Are you people all going out of your way to access Jimbo's posts and get outraged by his bullshit?

I confess I also didn't realise J was still posting regularly thus I reckon 'Prof's Compromise' is working fine and further action just seems a bit vindictive.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 8115
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Aug 2021, 11:26


User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9839
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Granting people an echo chamber

Postby Flower » 27 Aug 2021, 13:34

Deebank wrote:

Is there a secret room?

Where is all this happening?

Are you people all going out of your way to access Jimbo's posts and get outraged by his bullshit?

I confess I also didn't realise J was still posting regularly thus I reckon 'Prof's Compromise' is working fine and further action just seems a bit vindictive.


Yes!

Jimboland is/was a portal into a "Twilight Zone" where people had the choice of going in or not. I don't get upset when people disagree with me but that is a minor opinion on this board. I also don't look to a music forum for medical/health information but then again ... oh well .. Jimbo has been banned and it is history.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.