Gnomes

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
C
Robust

Gnomes

Postby C » 10 Aug 2021, 17:41

I've really got into garden gnomes - no, not your tacky type mooning, flashing or giving the middle finger, but these - Norman and Kevin:

ImageImage

We have three - Kevin and Norman who stand guard over our tiny pond, and a small one, Trevor, who lives in our Belfast sink with the lavender.

Trevor:

Any other fans?

[No Bowie or Floyd puns please...!]

slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: Gnomes

Postby der Freiherr » 10 Aug 2021, 17:49

I really want some but they’re hard to find in my part of the world.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Aug 2021, 18:15

My neighbour Joe has a Nouveau/Nouvelle style Gnome. All one colour but a beard and a serene face. I like Him/Her.
Must look for a pic.....
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 Aug 2021, 19:24

How about a Gentle Giant pun?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 10 Aug 2021, 21:40

mudshark wrote:How about a Gentle Giant pun?

Fair enough Erik

:lol:
slightbreeze wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 10 Aug 2021, 22:04

C wrote:I've really got into garden gnomes - no, not your tacky type mooning, flashing or giving the middle finger, but these - Norman and Kevin:

ImageImage

We have three - Kevin and Norman who stand guard over our tiny pond, and a small one, Trevor, who lives in our Belfast sink with the lavender.

Trevor:

Any other fans?

seriously they are called Norman and Kevin those are my two brothers. Can I get them online might have to get one for each they have big yards.

I love Gnomes (Gong would be my reference)!

Love TEVOR

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Aug 2021, 02:30

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Aug 2021, 03:49

I thought this was gonna be a George Harrison thread.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Aug 2021, 08:59

Hightea wrote:
C wrote:I've really got into garden gnomes - no, not your tacky type mooning, flashing or giving the middle finger, but these - Norman and Kevin:

ImageImage

Trevor:

Any other fans?

seriously they are called Norman and Kevin those are my two brothers. Can I get them online might have to get one for each they have big yards.

I love Gnomes (Gong would be my reference)!

Love TREVOR

That's a coincidence re: names - I decided on them at random!

Amazon have all three:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

Kevin and Norman are large - 18 inches tall

Trevor is small and is 7 inches tall

[I enjoyed the video]

slightbreeze wrote:

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Aug 2021, 09:12

I've had a quick check - they're probably here:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gnomes+garde ... iss-sm_2_6

slightbreeze wrote:

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Aug 2021, 09:21

Mike Boom wrote:

The great Terry Scott and Hugh Lloyd

Thanks!

slightbreeze wrote:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 11 Aug 2021, 09:33

The village where I grew up had many garden gnomes.

We used to think it was hilarious to pinch them and leave them in amusing spots and that sort of japery - on the way back from the pub of an evening.

In the sixth forth we had an exchange thing with a school in Buffalo, NY. One of the guys came with us on a few raids, so to remind him of his visit it was agreed that we would procure and send him a gnome.

There was a house with a full Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs arranged around a pond - not strictly gnomes of course but close enough. It was decided that - IIRC - Grumpy (arms crossed, harrumphing) was the most amusing. He took some 'procuring'. Grumpy was only about a foot high, but made of solid concrete and cemented to the ground. I did not do the deed, I was probably hiding in a hedge some distance away, but Grumpy was removed amid much stifled giggling.

He was airfreighted to Buffalo (at some considerable cost as I recall) and presumably lives there to this day.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Aug 2021, 10:39

Deebank wrote:The village where I grew up had many garden gnomes.

We used to think it was hilarious to pinch them and leave them in amusing spots and that sort of japery - on the way back from the pub of an evening.

In the sixth forth we had an exchange thing with a school in Buffalo, NY. One of the guys came with us on a few raids, so to remind him of his visit it was agreed that we would procure and send him a gnome.

There was a house with a full Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs arranged around a pond - not strictly gnomes of course but close enough. It was decided that - IIRC - Grumpy (arms crossed, harrumphing) was the most amusing. He took some 'procuring'. Grumpy was only about a foot high, but made of solid concrete and cemented to the ground. I did not do the deed, I was probably hiding in a hedge some distance away, but Grumpy was removed amid much stifled giggling.

He was airfreighted to Buffalo (at some considerable cost as I recall) and presumably lives there to this day.

Great story

The owner probably still has a contract out on you...!

slightbreeze wrote:

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Aug 2021, 14:00

There was either a true tale or an urban myth going around once about a solitary, much loved gnome who went missing overnight from a front garden.

His distraught owner periodically got cheerful postcards purporting to be from him from various parts of the globe - Australia, India, the west coast of the USA, Nepal, Malaysia, South America, Mediterranean Europe, Southern Africa.
Then about one year later, the gnome reappeared overnight in exactly the same garden but with deeply tanned face and hands.
The thinking was it had been the work of a young person on one of those one year travel-round-the-world tickets and the gnome had been carefully stowed meantime at his local UK home until it was deemed time for a reunion.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

C
Robust

Postby C » 11 Aug 2021, 14:39

Samoan wrote:There was either a true tale or an urban myth going around once about a solitary, much loved gnome who went missing overnight from a front garden.

His distraught owner periodically got cheerful postcards purporting to be from him from various parts of the globe - Australia, India, the west coast of the USA, Nepal, Malaysia, South America, Mediterranean Europe, Southern Africa.
Then about one year later, the gnome reappeared overnight in exactly the same garden but with deeply tanned face and hands.
The thinking was it had been the work of a young person on one of those one year travel-round-the-world tickets and the gnome had been carefully stowed meantime at his local UK home until it was deemed time for a reunion.

Excellent! :D

Akin to this I think:

Hightea wrote:

slightbreeze wrote:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Aug 2021, 19:18

C wrote:
That's a coincidence re: names - I decided on them at random!

:lol: too funny thank god you didn't name Trevor Steven or I would be concerned you turned my family into gnomes. :lol:

around here the more popular lawn item is the lawn jockey mostly because its horse country. Lots of horse farms around me and where I grew up in central NJ. I prefer the gnome!!!

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 13 Aug 2021, 20:15

I like garden gnomes. As is my habit when something piques my interest, I go to Google Images and have a look around. I was surprised by some of the ones that are available, to be honest. I wasn't expecting such variety. I will not link to any directly here, but here are a few that caught my bewildered eye, in no particular order:

The funny mankini gnome
The diva drag queen gnome
The funny army gnome
The mini drunk garden gnome set
The nudist garden gnomes
The dancing pole gnome

I could go on and on.

I want a garden.

With a gnome in it.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Aug 2021, 21:45

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 13 Aug 2021, 21:51

every time i see a garden gnome, i hafta crank peter gabriel.

leave me alone.

C
Robust

Postby C » 14 Aug 2021, 00:25

I succumbed to a fourth yesterday (before I read your response H/T) - he's called Stanley

Last edited by C on 15 Aug 2021, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
slightbreeze wrote: