Northern California Wild Fires

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Re: Northern California Wild Fires

Postby Samoan » 07 Aug 2021, 16:55

Ireland's safe (The ROI) although it can be very stormy round the edges on occasions and it is of course a famously lush and green island - great for farming - due to the rainfall but I've spent many a cloudless and dry holiday there.

I take a little peek at Cone board now and then and Markus was just lamenting their current heat wave, which peaked at about 28*Celsius, and how intolerable it was - the Irish aren't built for heat - (I'm paraphrasing) but anyone can get used to any clime.

My Dad was from the north of Ireland and after five WW2 years in the North African desert, Palestine - he particularly liked sunbathing on the deck of a troop ship sailing down the Red Sea - British Raj India and Burma came home absolutely loving heat, sand and humidity so much so that every summer holiday we packed up the car and trailer, took the ferry across the channel and headed down to camp in the south of France.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 08 Aug 2021, 20:04

Hightea, after 20 years in Singapore and now 14 in Texas there's no way my wife or I could go through a Montana winter, That cabin would be the summer residence. My 2 daughters, the husband of one of them ad our granddaughter live with us. They'll look after the place during the summers when we're in Montana. Anyway, that's the plan,

That Dixie fire got a lot worse, I saw on the news. Really feel for the people whose houses are threatened. They must feel so incredibly helpless.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 Aug 2021, 01:45

mudshark wrote:Hightea, after 20 years in Singapore and now 14 in Texas there's no way my wife or I could go through a Montana winter, That cabin would be the summer residence. My 2 daughters, the husband of one of them ad our granddaughter live with us. They'll look after the place during the summers when we're in Montana. Anyway, that's the plan,

Sweet sounds wonderful! That is sort of my goal with the summer home in Maine.
Warren Haynes @ The Peach Festival 7/4/21 - Festivals are back!!!

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Aug 2021, 18:00

Another fire has started east of me. It has leveled another town, Grizzly Flats. It started Monday and is 0% contained. The winds shift this morning and is now blowing the smoke of the Dixie Fire into the valley. I had my windows opened overnight for the cool air and suddenly at 8:30 this a.m. I smelled a lot of smoke and had to close everything up. It now smells like I had a fire going inside with the flue closed. :( I won’t be going anywhere today.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 18 Aug 2021, 23:26

Here's wishing you a shift in the wind.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Aug 2021, 03:05

Thanks. It’s going to be a few days. I know a couple who live near the new fire to the east and connected with them today. They are safe and secure including the house and vineyard so fingers crossed that it remains so.
Mickey Newbury

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Aug 2021, 05:45

It’s 69 F outside @ 9:45 p.m. and I have to keep my windows closed because of the smoke level. Grateful my house isn’t burning down but still. :evil:
Mickey Newbury

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 19 Aug 2021, 18:02

Six String wrote:It’s 69 F outside @ 9:45 p.m. and I have to keep my windows closed because of the smoke level. Grateful my house isn’t burning down but still. :evil:

that sucks hope it gets better and stays far from your home!

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Aug 2021, 19:20

Air quality is better today. At least I can’t smell the smoke. I heard from friends who live near the fire yesterday. They are safe as well as the house and vineyard but they did have to evacuate. They have a place to stay and the fire is moving away from their property so fingers crossed.
Mickey Newbury

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 24 Aug 2021, 08:43

In Yorkshire, thinking about places to live away from the (American) south and west, wondering whether all these old stone buildings will need central air condition in 25 years, how much it would cost, and the extraordinary new demands on electrical supply that would require. :|
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Aug 2021, 17:03

The Caldor Fire is getting close to Lake Tahoe. It will be a miracle if it doesn’t happen which will be a real shame.
Mickey Newbury

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Sep 2021, 19:26

Six String wrote:The Caldor Fire is getting close to Lake Tahoe. It will be a miracle if it doesn’t happen which will be a real shame.

so sad - Lake Tahoe is a beautiful part of this country, have memories as a kid going there as my uncle was part owner of one of the hotels (sadly forgot which one).

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Sep 2021, 17:15

It was a near miracle but the town of South Lake Tahoe was spared from burning partly due to the winds but also some amazing work by Cal Fire. The ski resorts used their snow blowing machines to help fight the fires which was an excellent idea. There is a forecast of small thunderstorms that might include dry lightning over the next 24 hours so fingers crossed that more fires don’t happen. Outside of human causes, dry lightning is probably one of the more common causes of fires this time of year in the Sierra. The Dixie Fire has burned almost a million acres.
Mickey Newbury

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 09 Sep 2021, 18:32

I was hoping for good news on that front as related stories of fires on the west coast seem to have dropped out of our main newscasts. That's usually a good sign. Here's hoping that lightning goes and plays out to sea somewhere uninhabited.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Sep 2021, 15:48

Just as the big fires north east of here are under control we have fires south of us threatening the big trees in King’s Canyon and now a fire started about 150 miles due north two days ago and the wind will be blowing from the north so AQI will be unhealthy for sensitive groups.

Monday R and I danced vigorously outdoors for a few hours and paid for it, me worse than her. We both woke the next day with scratchy throats and a little post nasal drip. That’s as far as it went with her but I ended up with a runny/stuffy nose and a mild cough for a few days. Things are better for me today. I thought it was a cold at first but based on how fast it has moved through me I think it was the crap in the air from the southern fires. I forgot to check the AQI on line Monday and there was no smell of smoke so I thought it was ok.

While I am grateful that my house isn’t burning I am getting tired of the 90+ temps and bad air.
Mickey Newbury

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 24 Sep 2021, 17:01

Six String wrote:Things are better for me today. I thought it was a cold at first but based on how fast it has moved through me I think it was the crap in the air from the southern fires. I forgot to check the AQI on line Monday and there was no smell of smoke so I thought it was ok.

Glad to hear you're all better. That's never pleasant, especially in these times.

As far as noticing the smell of smoke, I will just say this. I am a smoker (I know, not the same kind of smoke, but still...). I smoke inside my home all the time. Whatever. If a non-smoker comes in to my place, they will surely smell the reek. I don't smell it while I'm here. But, especially if everything is closed up, I do smell it if I go out and then return. The fact that you did not smell smoke may mean that you are at least temporarily immune to it because it is ever present, at least to some degree. No?

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Sep 2021, 19:32

souphound wrote:
Six String wrote:Things are better for me today. I thought it was a cold at first but based on how fast it has moved through me I think it was the crap in the air from the southern fires. I forgot to check the AQI on line Monday and there was no smell of smoke so I thought it was ok.

Glad to hear you're all better. That's never pleasant, especially in these times.

As far as noticing the smell of smoke, I will just say this. I am a smoker (I know, not the same kind of smoke, but still...). I smoke inside my home all the time. Whatever. If a non-smoker comes in to my place, they will surely smell the reek. I don't smell it while I'm here. But, especially if everything is closed up, I do smell it if I go out and then return. The fact that you did not smell smoke may mean that you are at least temporarily immune to it because it is ever present, at least to some degree. No?

Thanks, yeah it could be an ever present level that makes it difficult to ascertain though if it is really present I do smell smoke when I first step outside the house. Although I do look at the AQI regularly I didn’t on Monday. Lesson learned.
Mickey Newbury