Northern California Wild Fires

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Northern California Wild Fires

Postby Six String » 05 Aug 2021, 17:57

There are two big ones going at the moment a few hours north/northeast of me. I am in no danger to be clear but to watch the speed of movement and destruction is soul crushing. Rebecca’s son in law is at the Dixie Fire which is now the sixth largest in California history and it just wiped out Greenville, a small Gold Rush era town. The River Fire started around 2 p.m. yesterday and went from 100 acres to over 1,000 acres in four hours. The town of Colfax was evacuated and it had grown to 2,400 acres by this morning. It seems if you live in a small town in forested area it is just a matter of time before you will have such an experience. Heart breaking.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

mudshark

Re: Northern California Wild Fires

Postby mudshark » 05 Aug 2021, 22:32

I wish you lots of luck. Terrible situation. The whole damn world is on fire. US, Canada, Italy, Greece, Siberia. So much hardship.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 06 Aug 2021, 00:16

Luck from here too, Awful stuff.

Just curious, even though you're not in immediate danger where you are, how is the air quality?

My sis lives in the agro area, southeast of Fresno and they often suffer the consequences even though they're not near either.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Flower

Postby Flower » 06 Aug 2021, 00:24

Turkey is being hit too ....

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Aug 2021, 00:41

souphound wrote:Luck from here too, Awful stuff.

Just curious, even though you're not in immediate danger where you are, how is the air quality?

My sis lives in the agro area, southeast of Fresno and they often suffer the consequences even though they're not near either.

Air quality has been good for my area as the wind has been blowing from the southwest so it has been sending the smoke in the opposite direction but tomorrow it will be blowing towards us so it is expected to be hazy or smoky depending on how it really goes. The wind is supposed to shift back Saturday so that will be good for us. Rebecca and I were planning on going to see a friend’s band and dance outdoors but we may end up staying home.

Re:Turkey, Guy lives a bit west of the fires in the south but I think he’s safe so far. I haven’t emailed him yet but will soon to check on him.
Mickey Newbury

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Aug 2021, 00:47

mudshark wrote:I wish you lots of luck. Terrible situation. The whole damn world is on fire. US, Canada, Italy, Greece, Siberia. So much hardship.

Yes, these are mostly small communities with fairly low incomes who live in beautiful but vulnerable areas due to the fire risks. The kind of places people go for vacations to camp, fish, hike, etc.
Mickey Newbury

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Aug 2021, 01:17

Good news on the River Fire that just started yesterday. It has burned 2400 acres but hasn’t grown since this morning which is great. Views from helicopters shows very little smoke over the area although the winds have actually increased in recent hours. The good news is that the fire hasn’t increased with the winds. That means things are under control. I think the River Fire might be history. I hope so. Cal Fire really hit that fire with everything it could muster and it was successful.
Mickey Newbury

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 06 Aug 2021, 12:49

We were in western North Carolina a few weeks ago, in Asheville and north of there in the Blue Ridge Mountains, at a time when western wildfire smoke had invaded the east coast. It sort of clouded the view in the distance but I couldn't tell whether that was the natural environmental haziness of the "Smoky Mountains" (there's a fine line between the Smokies and the Blue Ridge and I'm not sure where it is) or the natural environmental haziness of the wildfires out west.

I've been a fairly ardent environmentalist since I was a kid during the Reagan administration and, of course, people have been predicting some version of this since before then. But I always assumed I would be gone before we really saw climate change roil the appearance of stability in our natural environment. I don't know what role climate change plays in wildfires but it seems like a chronic issue now, and when I think about moving to the mountains for a more beautiful natural world and a more sane climate, I have to think that living in a place like, say Cloudcroft, is an untenable risk.

For retirement (or permanent remote work) my dream is escape Texas and be in a place with four seasons, or at least a place that is more cold and less hot (my dream is not necessarily exactly concurrent with my wife's dreams). It's weird to look at a map, thinking about the next decade, and ruling out whole swaths of continents as environmentally unstable or problematic.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 06 Aug 2021, 13:32

Baron, you would love Montreal. Except between October and April of course. :( ;)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 06 Aug 2021, 13:49

I am very much in favor of strong winters and have no doubt about the merits of Montreal!
When it comes to winter, my wife is less bullish.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Aug 2021, 13:58

der Freiherr wrote:..,

For retirement (or permanent remote work) my dream is escape Texas and be in a place with four seasons, or at least a place that is more cold and less hot (my dream is not necessarily exactly concurrent with my wife's dreams). It's weird to look at a map, thinking about the next decade, and ruling out whole swaths of continents as environmentally unstable or problematic.

Have you thought about South Island New Zealand ?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 06 Aug 2021, 14:07

oops

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 06 Aug 2021, 14:10

Samoan wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:..,

Have you thought about South Island New Zealand ?

No, though my cousin has moved down there (to the North Island). She's a nurse, and they're apparently in demand.
The prospect of actually moving somewhere dramatically different to retire is somewhat fanciful, but not impossible. Mostly, I dream of escaping Texas. I expect we would go somewhere where at least one of us is a citizen.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Aug 2021, 14:12

Minnie would be snapped up for work where ever in NZ and no language barrier.

The one and only negative I've heard about NZ (from a Kiwi A&E nurse I once worked
with) is that new arrivals, both adults and kids with mild asthma, can suddenly get really ill really fast as they find themselves exposed to plant pollens floating about that exist no where else on the planet and their respiratory systems don't like it until they acclimatise.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Aug 2021, 16:32

Though I wouldn’t want to do it for obvious reasons, living up in the foothills or mountains here in California has become impossible financially as fire insurance is either really expensive even with poor coverage or impossible at any price. It always sounded great thirty or so years ago but as time has passed I can’t see me ever leaving the city. Couple the fire danger with living far from medical coverage at retirement age and it seems crazy. I had thought of moving to Oregon or Washington a few years ago but the cost of living has risen dramatically.

It used to be just forests burning which is bad enough but now towns are being taken with them. Very sad but it’s also due to more people moving to these beautiful out of the way places. Forest fires have always been part of the deal but with more people living in these areas it has forced the state to put more resources on the fires to protect people and property.
Mickey Newbury

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 06 Aug 2021, 16:43

Six String wrote:It used to be just forests burning which is bad enough but now towns are being taken with them. Very sad but it’s also due to more people moving to these beautiful out of the way places. Forest fires have always been part of the deal but with more people living in these areas it has forced the state to put more resources on the fires to protect people and property.

Yeah, that’s got to be part of the problem. It’s like people living on the fringes of the LA sprawl and complaining about the wild animals digging through their trash! Forest fires are naturally occurring and necessary (and I’m no expert, but I suspect forestry management wasn’t great in the 20th century). That more people live in the middle of them only exacerbates the cost.

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Aug 2021, 17:36

The sky is that weird orange color we are used to seeing when smoke from fires fills the valley. Living between the Sierra foothills and the Coastal range it is like living in a bowl. So I’ll be staying indoors most likely to avoid breathing bad air. The silver lining is that the haze will probably mean slightly cooler temps today. The wind is supposed to shift the other way tomorrow so it will blow the smoke back out of here.
Mickey Newbury

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 06 Aug 2021, 18:14

If circumstances allow it the wife and I will head to Montana early September to visit friends and perhaps purchase a log cabin.
We're getting too old for those Texas summers. Prefer a colder climate, but the temperatures up North are rising every year as well and it's bone-dry as well so maybe that place will catch fire as well, and then a log cabin is not the safest place. But the one we're looking for is near a lake so we should be good.

972 Black Lake Rd, Rexford, MT 59930 | MLS #22112156 | Zillow
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Aug 2021, 16:23

While I love western USA and have thought a few times of living out there I've always said no because too many disasters for my liking. Hence why I've never left the northeast very little issues with climate and lots of water.

However, feel so sorry for these towns burning awful sights.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Aug 2021, 16:30

mudshark wrote:If circumstances allow it the wife and I will head to Montana early September to visit friends and perhaps purchase a log cabin.
We're getting too old for those Texas summers. Prefer a colder climate, but the temperatures up North are rising every year as well and it's bone-dry as well so maybe that place will catch fire as well, and then a log cabin is not the safest place. But the one we're looking for is near a lake so we should be good.

972 Black Lake Rd, Rexford, MT 59930 | MLS #22112156 | Zillow

Looks nice love Bog Sky country but don't think I could handle the winters and I've lived my whole life in the northeast. My problems is I like the ocean too much and when I lived in Northern Maine I couldn't handle it getting dark at 430 in the winter. Still having a hard time figuring out where to retire - the northeast is great but not sure I want so much snow anymore.