5 questions I still don’t know the answer to: For the Americans

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

5 questions I still don’t know the answer to: For the Americans

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 29 Jul 2021, 20:39

Your assistance is required:

If I'm food shopping and my hands are free, and the person at the till is still cashing up, am I supposed to start packing my own bloody shopping away or not?

When you get off a bus, does the driver expect you to say "Thank you!" or don't they?

When am I supposed to eat the two half strawberries that you insist on putting on my breakfast plate? Are they some kind of palate cleanser or an early supper or what?

Why would ANYONE choose to live somewhere with a HOA?

Most importantly: several weddings into my life here, I'll ask again: why don't Americans dance at weddings?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Re: 5 questions I still don’t know the answer to: For the Americans

Postby Six String » 29 Jul 2021, 21:08

If I'm food shopping and my hands are free, and the person at the till is still cashing up, am I supposed to start packing my own bloody shopping away or not?

No. I do it sometimes because I usually don’t buy a lot at one time so it would be more efficient if a bagger worked on someone else’s purchases. I am usually a little shocked to see people with massive amounts in large carts but I know many younger people have families with young children and they shop once or twice a month instead of every week like I do.

When you get off a bus, does the driver expect you to say "Thank you!" or don't they?

I think it might be polite if exiting the front f the bus but if you exiting from the back, i,e, middle of the bus then no. Whether a driver expects it I can’t say but somehow with all the other breakdowns in social norms I think the answer is no.

When am I supposed to eat the two half strawberries that you insist on putting on my breakfast plate? Are they some kind of palate cleanser or an early supper or what?

I think it’s there to dress up the plate like a sprig of parsley. I usually eat them so as to not waste them and they do cleanse the palate a little, especially if you’ve eaten a greasy meal. I’m always a little surprised if they actually have any taste tbh.

I’m with you on that one. I suppose it is usually people moving into new buildings and they are excited about that and don’t pay much attention until later.

Most importantly: several weddings into my life here, I'll ask again: why don't Americans dance at weddings?

Because it seems many people stop dancing once they stop courting as they aren’t comfortable with such displays in public. The good thing about dancing at American weddings is you usually have plenty of space. I’ve enjoyed dancing since I was a teenager so I don’t get it either. Rebecca and I are usually the first ones on the dance floor so it’s not our fault! One year at a Christmas party a cardiology group hired one of the premier bands of the area to play and we were happy to have more space than usual at their own gigs.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jul 2021, 21:24

The answer to the first few is 'depends on the situation and your personal preference.' I don't think there's any universal rule or even standard opinion regarding any of them. I'll attempt to answer the last two, though.

Minnie Cheddars wrote:

I think it's good for people that want to do very little maintenance to the area around their property. It's basically offloading some of the responsibility for folks that don't want to deal, and don't care if they have much input. And it often ends up saving money in the long run, as such places usually go for cheaper than those without.

Mind you, our place is one of the few on our block that doesn't have an HOA and we're grateful every day for that. Some overly officious stick-in-the-mud with no personality deciding what color I can paint my house? No thanks.

In my experience, they do. But I do think there's a reticence among those who don't 'let go' in general to avoid doing so to "Macarena," "Brick House," "Celebration," etc. And I do think American reliance on 'standard' repertoire gets in the way of a more individualized, personal experience. But I don't imagine that's so much what you're talking about.

Mind you, I don't dance much in general. I did dance at my wedding, however. Several times.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Jul 2021, 22:09

Depends upon the store but if it's only a few things, I pack my own bag.

I don't know what the driver expects but usually say "Good-bye" or "Thanks"

I eat the strawberries but give the orange slices to whomever I'm eating with at the time. I seem to get more orange slices than strawberries.

I think that it is more of "senior" thing. I would hate to someone to tell me what color I can paint my house or flowers to plant in my garden.

There is lots of dancing (and good food) at Jewish and Italian weddings. Not so much at most Baptist weddings that I've been.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2021, 02:50

I'm usually at a Self Service register, if they're open. (I thought these were appalling when they first started appearing. Now I prefer them.) If not, the clerk has usually finished bagging my stuff by the time I'm done getting my credit card sorted. So I can't answer the question, I guess.

I think they'd be crazy to expect it, but I figure most of them appreciate it when it happens.

Whenever and however you like!

Dunno!

In my experience, they mostly do, if they're able (and like the music).

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 30 Jul 2021, 14:01

I realise I'm not American (thank god for that! ;) ) but I'm bored...

If I haven't bought a lot of stuff, I'll start packing it up as it's being rung through, but if I've done a big shop, I'll generally wait until everything has been scanned and is waiting on the conveyor. I'm quite particular about how my groceries are packed, and I hate feeling rushed by whoever might be behind me, so I take my time and do it right.
I do sometimes wonder if the checkout clerk thinks I'm planning on doing a runner when I'm packing up before I've paid...

Like Les says, if I get off at the front doors I'll say "thanks", but nowadays transit drivers in Toronto are surrounded by plexiglas so it's a bit of a moot point.

Ah yes, the strawberry fan. Eat it whenever you feel like eating it, knowing it was prepared with love.

I don't think we have these up here, but I could be wrong. They can fuck off, regardless.

I take it you haven't watched "Footloose" yet?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 30 Jul 2021, 14:25

Doesn't that Harvey sound half-American??

Just this one: Why would ANYONE choose to live somewhere with a HOA?

Although civilization is creeping up closer and closer we still live in something that is reminiscent of the boondocks. The nearest house is some 500ft away from ours. Two years ago the occupants moved out. The place was taken over by a bunch of squatters. They've asked if they could use our water well. Can't very well let them waterless so we allow it. But they're anti-social, loud, religious and gun-lovers. We called the cops twice when there was gun fire but they won't do a thing because it's legal to shoot a gun in public in Texas, apparently. I guess It becomes illegal when you had a person or animal... Every night they burn their garbage. The smell really bothers my 5-year old granddaughter. In other words: I'd pay a small fortune for a feisty, bazooka-wielding HOA.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 30 Jul 2021, 14:50

I always pack my own groceries. If I'm too slow, the cashier will help finish up.

I doubt it's expected, but I say thank you if I get off the front.

I never get that on my breakfast plate but I got it on my dessert plate the other day. There was whipped cream involved, so all good.

I wouldn't like it for a private house, but in a coop, it's great. Our maintenance guys are the best!

That's not been my experience, though it's possible that the younger people don't dance as much.
The crazy music drives you insane

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Jul 2021, 15:22

Back in the day I waited, but the past 10 years or so I bag my own with my own reusable bag (at least 90% of the time). IF its a big shop usually the cashier and I are both bagging stuff. In my view I want out of the store ASAP so I'll always help.

Don't take the bus anymore. But back in the day when I took it everyday I usually got the same bus driver so I said hello and goodbye(if using the front).
Just was at a festival that we had a bus shuttle - not only said thanks but tip him.

When am I supposed to eat the two half strawberries that you insist on putting on my breakfast plate? Are they some kind of palate cleanser or an early supper or what? Cali thing is always a little fruit with breakfast plate, I never turn down fruit unless it looks bad.

Why would ANYONE choose to live somewhere with a HOA? Well as someone who lived in a house for 15 years before moving to condo, I would never, don't want anyone on my property. These days I love not caring for the outside although I do some planting and gardening.

Most importantly: several weddings into my life here, I'll ask again: why don't Americans dance at weddings? ha depends on the wedding. The last wedding was my friends who one was a DJ and the other works for Spotify - everyone was dancing, but they played no cheezy wedding songs. Typically the music sucks at weddings so many don't dance as they always play the same crappy songs.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2021, 16:42

Bring a bunch of bags with you in your car and keep them there. That way you don't use the store's bags. Tell the cashier you don't need bags because it's bad for the environment and to simply put the food back in the cart. I do that every time. If she won't do it for you, do it yourself.

Can't recall the last time I was on a bus, so dunno...

You're deliberately asking silly questions, aren't you? Eat them or don't. It's not worth pondering.

Good question. I've never lived anywhere that had a home owner's association. Aren't they more for rich folks? Bet they don't ride the bus too often.

I don't think I've EVER, not even ONCE been to a wedding where people didn't dance. Never been to one in Texas though.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 30 Jul 2021, 18:19

A few answers to ponder here, chaps! Thank you!
Thanks MATT for coming in all guns blazing YEEHAW!
Thanks also for being the only person to assume the shop assistant is a CHICK! You and your swinging ding dong privilege!

:D

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2021, 18:38

Nine out of ten times they're women here, Anna.

You live in fucking Texas for Chrissakes, I doubt you're that offended by swinging dicks.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 30 Jul 2021, 18:57

GOT HIM

Dr Markus wrote:

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 30 Jul 2021, 20:39

i always do. i see no reason to stay in that store for a minute longer than i need to be. mind ya, usually i take my grown male spawn with me to perform all such functions, as that is his job. packing. schlepping. unloading.

i've never lived anywhere involving practical bus services, unless you count school or foreign trips. but i thank anyone who transports me anywhere. i'm a thanky kind of person.

eat em immediately, of course. rationale: strawberries.

i'm sure folk have their reasons, but it always reminds me of that x-files episode. arcadia.

they dance at every wedding i've been to. whether it's local or not, i dunno. ya gotta dance at a wedding. i mean. around here, a lot of people dance at a funeral. dancing is a good thing, i say.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jul 2021, 20:52

Matt Wilson wrote:Nine out of ten times they're women here, Anna.

You live in fucking Texas for Chrissakes, I doubt you're that offended by swinging dicks.

Not at the shops I frequent. It is pretty even. Full disclosure, I usually avoid the national chains so maybe that is true at them.
Mickey Newbury

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Jul 2021, 21:25

Matt Wilson wrote:
Bring a bunch of bags with you in your car and keep them there. That way you don't use the store's bags. Tell the cashier you don't need bags because it's bad for the environment and to simply put the food back in the cart. I do that every time. If she won't do it for you, do it yourself.

got at least 5 or six in the car mostly because for ages I kept bring them in the house and forgetting to put it back in the car, but yeah most people in my area of NY bring their own plus up here a lot of the places actually charge for a bag. Which leads to a lot of guy(I guess women too) now carrying their groceries in there hands. Leads to some funny scenes in the parking lot.

Nix on the women cashiers lots of different people cashier now from teenagers to 70 year olds and they can be any sex.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2021, 22:06

Lol you guys are funny! I never said men could not be cashiers at a grocery store, I said most of them here in Los Angeles are women. I narrated a scenario and I use the pronoun “she.” And the implication is that I am sexist. Kath comes along and says that boys are the ones who need to be schlepping groceries and nobody comments on it. typical BCB…

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 30 Jul 2021, 22:15

Matt Wilson wrote:Lol you guys are funny! I never said men could not be cashiers at a grocery store, I said most of them here in Los Angeles are women. I narrated a scenario and I use the pronoun “she.” And the implication is that I am sexist. Kath comes along and says that boys are the ones who need to be schlepping groceries and nobody comments on it. typical BCB…

heyyy, man. you think what i said is some kinda sexist point? you've made a mistake.

i am 57. i have a torn rotator cuff and a bum knee, with both hands having had multiple surgeries. my son is 33. if my daughter were still around, she'd be schlepping too, as she did back when.

she isn't around. my son is.

fucque you.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jul 2021, 22:16

I just described my own personal experience. :?
Mickey Newbury

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2021, 22:22

LOL, as was I, Les.

And fuck you too, Kath!