Greek Life

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11516
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Greek Life

Postby Samoan » 23 Jul 2021, 09:38

I really dislike those modern and older British houses with Doric columns. Ugh.

Image

Image


I remember waaaay back when we were doing a photo project - take a photo from your neighbourhood each day and post it. I took a pic of a white Art Deco house with two small Chilean monkey puzzle trees in the front shingle garden which Harvey really liked as that was to his taste IIRC but it's lost in the ether of Photobucket


This is my dream house in my neighbourhood designed by Voysey.
It's a little different now as two stupendous purple beech trees have grown in the front so it's more hidden away. The south facing back garden is huge with masses of shrubbery and two circular lawns. (I had a look on Google satellite.)

Image

Dixcote, North Drive.
A characteristic work of Charles Francis Annesley Voysey, with Walter Cave as the executant architect. Built in 1897 of brick and Ham Hill stone dressings. Typical of Voysey's houses is its long and low design, white roughcast exterior, large pitched roof, mullioned windows and broad chimneys. Grade II* listed.
One of a number of large houses near Tooting Bec Common dating from the late C19th/early C20th.
Voysey was a pioneer of the Arts and Craft movement, ploughing his own furrow, and designed numerous distinctive country houses.



- What houses/homes get your goat and which do you hanker after living in ?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Greek Life

Postby The Prof » 23 Jul 2021, 11:13

We had a look at this one a few days ago. I think it was a bit undervalued but it was very nice.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7473
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Greek Life

Postby robertff » 23 Jul 2021, 12:11

The Prof wrote:We had a look at this one a few days ago. I think it was a bit undervalued but it was very nice.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY



If this was anywhere near me it would be at the very least double that price. Are you buying?



.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24380
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: Greek Life

Postby Deebank » 23 Jul 2021, 12:48

It's only a theory so feel free to knock it down but it is my fervent belief that it was in the early '80s that the rot set in due to a combination of conservative and Conservative thought... Basically Thatcher and Prince Charles. From this time on there has been (in mainstream architecture) a boring, ugly neo-georgian consensus.

The 60s and 70s saw a flourishing of housing that looked like it was designed and built in its own time not some nod to back 200 years - with lots of glass, open plan, often no garden walls! It was a more egalitarian outward-looking time*.

Just look at Milton Keynes. The original houses built in the 70s were a wild, experimental, colourful collection of dwellings that looked like some thought had gone into them. after 1980 they became identikit boxes made to maximise profit.

Like I say, blame Thatcher and Prince Charles. Fucking philistines! :x


*Why am I picturing a pampas grass bush outside? :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46182
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Greek Life

Postby The Prof » 23 Jul 2021, 13:05

robertff wrote:
The Prof wrote:We had a look at this one a few days ago. I think it was a bit undervalued but it was very nice.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY



If this was anywhere near me it would be at the very least double that price. Are you buying?



.


We put an offer in but heard afterwards that others had put in offers above the asking price. The owners wouldn't sell to any landlords intending to rip it apart and turn it into flats. Not heard anything yet but were not that hopeful.

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 1314
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: Greek Life

Postby Robert » 25 Jul 2021, 12:45

The Prof wrote:We had a look at this one a few days ago. I think it was a bit undervalued but it was very nice.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY


That looks great!

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14834
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rayge » 25 Jul 2021, 22:33

None of the columns in the OP are Doric. Those in the first picture aren't classic in style, and are, I agree, horrible. In the second they're Ionic, with scrolled capitals. In Doric columns the capitals flare outwards.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44795
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Greek Life

Postby der Freiherr » 26 Jul 2021, 05:09

I was waiting for the controversy!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3590
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jul 2021, 08:58

Rayge wrote:None of the columns in the OP are Doric. Those in the first picture aren't classic in style, and are, I agree, horrible. In the second they're Ionic, with scrolled capitals. In Doric columns the capitals flare outwards.


Beat me to it.

Which reminds me ....

When lockdown was beginning to ease late last spring, my wife and I took to walking up this big hill in Barcelona, called Montjuic, early every morning, in the time slot allowed for our age group. There was this rather lovely plant flowering all over the place, called Acanto. In English it's called Acanthus or Bear's Breeches; for the longest time we heard it as bear's britches...
Anyway, my wife informed me that this is the plant you have represented on the capitals of corinthian columns. I don't suppose it's the same in the UK, but once you notice this in Barcelona you can't help but see it everywhere: street lamps, tiles, pillars, building decoration, antiques, etc.

Well, I thought it was interesting.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14834
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rayge » 26 Jul 2021, 09:01

der Freiherr wrote:I was waiting for the controversy!


:) my inner pedant got the better of me, I'm afraid
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14834
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rayge » 26 Jul 2021, 09:05

Rorschach wrote:
Rayge wrote:None of the columns in the OP are Doric. Those in the first picture aren't classic in style, and are, I agree, horrible. In the second they're Ionic, with scrolled capitals. In Doric columns the capitals flare outwards.


Beat me to it.

Which reminds me ....

When lockdown was beginning to ease late last spring, my wife and I took to walking up this big hill in Barcelona, called Montjuic, early every morning, in the time slot allowed for our age group. There was this rather lovely plant flowering all over the place, called Acanto. In English it's called Acanthus or Bear's Breeches; for the longest time we heard it as bear's britches...
Anyway, my wife informed me that this is the plant you have represented on the capitals of corinthian columns. I don't suppose it's the same in the UK, but once you notice this in Barcelona you can't help but see it everywhere: street lamps, tiles, pillars, building decoration, antiques, etc.

Well, I thought it was interesting.

Yep, 'stiff-leafed acanthus' is a very common carved decorative motif in wood and stone in mediaeval English churches, not just in capitals, but on bench ends, screens, friezes...
It's a great plant, lots of people round here (Taunton) have it growing in their gardens.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3590
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jul 2021, 10:02

Rayge wrote:Yep, 'stiff-leafed acanthus' is a very common carved decorative motif in wood and stone in mediaeval English churches, not just in capitals, but on bench ends, screens, friezes...
It's a great plant, lots of people round here (Taunton) have it growing in their gardens.


That's interesting. I'd never noticed it before and certainly never heard of it when I was living in England. I shall look out for it next time I'm over.

I was imagining that it would be just a Mediterranean plant, though I suppose you have a pretty mild climate by British standards in Taunton.
Last year, the aforementioned Montjuic was covered in acanthus, oleander and orange blossom. As there was sod all traffic at that time it was a splendid place to go for a walk. Sadly, this year, the acanthus and orange blossom have been far less present. No idea why.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11516
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: Greek Life

Postby Samoan » 26 Jul 2021, 10:38

William Morris was a fan and it features in many of his wallpaper designs and fabrics.

Image
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3590
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jul 2021, 11:13

Samoan wrote:William Morris was a fan and it features in many of his wallpaper designs and fabrics.


Bloody hell! Did everyone know about this stupid plant except me?
Bugger off.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11516
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: Greek Life

Postby Samoan » 26 Jul 2021, 11:28

:)
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14834
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Greek Life

Postby Rayge » 26 Jul 2021, 13:27

Rorschach wrote:I'd never noticed it before and certainly never heard of it when I was living in England. I shall look out for it next time I'm over.
I was imagining that it would be just a Mediterranean plant, though I suppose you have a pretty mild climate by British standards in Taunton.


I just looked up Acanthus mollis on the RHS site, and, although it originated in the Med, it is hardy down to -20°, and lives for decades. The only problems with it as a garden plant are that it can be invasive and is susceptible to gastropods when young.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3963
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Greek Life

Postby Fonz » 31 Jul 2021, 00:02

The Prof wrote:We had a look at this one a few days ago. I think it was a bit undervalued but it was very nice.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY



My mum’s from Lee Mount, across the valley. Well, over the hill and the valley…

It’s all changed bigly in my lifetime

Good luck
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."