BCB at 18

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

BCB at 18

Postby The Prof » 16 Jul 2021, 12:22

Yep - 18 years ago BCB was born.
No longer a baby or screaming toddler the bulletin board reached adulthood today.
Happy Birthday to us!

What’s been the highlights and the lowlights for you?

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: BCB at 18

Postby Rorschach » 16 Jul 2021, 12:23

Feels more like 100
Bugger off.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 16 Jul 2021, 13:49

Through ancestor MOJO and since then, BCB, I had the chance to meet 7-8 members in person over the years. That's a bit surprising as I live in a rather distant place for most here and I do not travel at all, or at least haven't for a couple of decade now.

Each and every one I met turned out to be even nicer than anticipated. In many ways, I wish those get-togethers would happen now rather than back then. I am much more comfortable in my own skin these days than I have been in a long long time.

There were also a few episodes in my life where I would come here just for the human touch, if you will. It helped.

One regret I have is that I have never really participated on the music side of things. Rest assured, I absolutely love music. I am no musician and have no training, aptitude (I've tried piano, guitar, trumpet....to everyone's exasperation) or knowledge really. I no longer relish going to concerts (hell, I don't even go to the movies!). I just get by with my ears and mood in determining what I want to hear. My musical tastes are probably too close to the middle of the road for most here. Plus I do like quite a bit of our local, mostly francophone stuff that would be uninteresting to most here as well.

So, in retrospect, I would say the most valuable aspect of this place for me is the people themselves. A fine group.

Love,

Norm

ps. Happy f*cking birthday BCB (sorry Harv!)
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 16 Jul 2021, 13:59

Wow! BCB is old enough to go into a bar and order a pint!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2021, 14:43

The Daily Mail will probably stop posting pictures of BCB in a bikini now.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Jul 2021, 16:18

BCB got drafted

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 16 Jul 2021, 16:23

I concur with what souphound has said mostly.

Happy 18th BCBirthday and to all who sail/have sailed on her.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 16 Jul 2021, 16:58

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jul 2021, 21:58

Where has the time gone? I have made many friends on this board and Mojo’s and the Footie Ups have been instrumental in that. I hope we can continue that trad again soon as I always have a great time reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones. Toronto!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 17 Jul 2021, 11:41

Friends gained and friends lost.

Where is Pablo the Donkey now that we need him?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 17 Jul 2021, 11:52

Minnie the Minx wrote:Wow! BCB is old enough to go into a bar and order a pint!

Not in Texas, though, eh?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 17 Jul 2021, 12:01

I wish I could have attended more footies, and caught up with more people abroad. I miss some posters,but don't miss others. Early on I used to look and post all the time but these days I just drop in occasionally.
I have been introduced to music that was new to me, and pushed my own faves with different degrees of success!
Many more years ahead!

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Jul 2021, 11:44

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Friends gained and friends lost.

This

John aka Josh wrote:
C wrote:Covid....?!

nah, strictly corvids and to a lesser degree Corbyns.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 19 Jul 2021, 21:05

i'm gonna start with what i hated. just cuz.

i hated that when i joined the board, the prog vs punk wars were SO FUCQUIN STUPID. i mean, does anyone have a brain?? what drew me to this board was brain-bearing folk. i fell into this board by a completely stumbling accident. google search, me. was trying to get away from mildewy censorship on the american boards that nurtured my musical yap. i started reading this board, and i was like, "holy fucque! love!"

and thennn i read that (see: stupid fucquin crap.) i wasn't pissed off that when i came here, most regular posters told me to go back to 3rd grade and learn how to spell (mwhaha, i was already used to that in my online life.) i got pissed off when folk started suggesting that anything "prog" should be in its own lil bordertown, off of YY.

assholery, in full view.

and that was when i threatened to flounce over it. such assholian stupidity. but the real reason i dove into those shark-infested waters: reap had decided he wanted to join in with prog synch listens. he needed to be back online. and if people were gonna be stupid assholes, there was no point.

worked out in the end.

BUT (of course, amply) i've been here for 15 years, even though i forget the name of my son on a daily basis, cuz the people here are just fucquin stellar. this board has watched my life play out. watched my triumphs and my losses. this is where i truly share myself. there is no way to explain the rewards. they matter to me.

ohhhh, let's not forget all the musical turn-ons. seriously.

so happy bday. BCB.

::smack::

robertff

Postby robertff » 21 Jul 2021, 10:30

Just glad BCB is here, it's the only place I can still 'talk' music and hear about music I've not come across before. The sad fact is that all the friends I had who still liked to talk about music are dead now and there is no-one left who is interested, so BCB offers, at the very least, a service to me.

I can't say that I've got to know anyone on the board personally, not having been to any meet ups, but I have got to know a little about the ups and downs of the lives of some and the generosity of sharing. Thanks to all who sent me music and, in particular Stephen (C), who sent me loads of music from bands/artists some of which I'd never even heard of. Perhaps I shouldn't single anyone out but in this case it would unforgivable not to, Stephen has been more than generous and I've thoroughly enjoyed the music.

The punk/prog thing was rather disappointing after all it is only music, which you either like/dislike or have no feelings about whatsoever but it appears to me that we seem to have got passed that now. Yes, it's good to voice opinions, facts even sometimes, but when it becomes more than that, well, you know.

A I said at the start I'm glad BCB is still here and despite the reduction in regular posters it remains the only avenue I have to 'talk' music.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 23 Jul 2021, 14:21

Thank you, Jethro
Complete Prince Mp3 set - on a purple usb drive - available in the usual place if anyone wants it

moonie

Postby moonie » 23 Jul 2021, 17:08

Indeed- thank you. I happened to run across some amazing mixes that I was sent today, and have them playing in the car. What a magical place this is, even if I don't have much time to participate anymore. You people are the best xoxo.

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Jul 2021, 17:46

moonie wrote:Indeed- thank you. I happened to run across some amazing mixes that I was sent today, and have them playing in the car. What a magical place this is, even if I don't have much time to participate anymore. You people are the best xoxo.

Nice to see you even if it is for a moment.

I echo Slider’s comment. Thanks Jethro! It was all because of you. I know I could have never done it.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Jul 2021, 17:36

pretty early on somebody told me about "Jethro's board" and I'm glad they did.

like kath, I was a little taken aback by how surly and dismissive people could be but the why of it became clear soon enough. Those people being surly & dismissive were letting me know that I wasn't really one of them. I'd known people who had hooked up online but I'd never really seen a group of people online before who were really and truly friends with one another. it remains the truest & bluest "online community" I've ever witnessed.

eventually I felt "accepted" more or less but just because I'm pretty stubborn and Usenet had made me pretty thick skinned. I think some of those I found surly have turned out to be real pussycats but I won't insult them by singling them out.

Not everybody likes everybody but that's how it goes. it's still neat to spend even a little time among people who consider each other really & truly friends.

I'd never really seen that online before. Facebook is similar but all that data-mining and brain-washing takes it down a few notches, don't you think?
uggy poopy doody.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Jul 2021, 15:26

Well I've only been here 6 years way past the peak of this board (although I lurked prior to that). Still feel like an outsider but as a migrater from other message boards(few here are from some off the old boards) going back to 00 I've somehow enjoy reading and the friendliness of this board.
Last edited by Hightea on 30 Jul 2021, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.