The banality of Ludo

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The banality of Ludo

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jul 2021, 19:35

Ludo, that most simple of board games. "Ludo" is Latin for "I play", and play it we did! The big thrill was to knock the opponent home. I suspect the phrase "back to square one" may have been inspired by Ludo. I also think that role playing games like D&D and strategy board games from Avalon Hill were a reaction against the simplicity of Ludo. But, having tried things like Squad Leader and Third Reich from Avalon Hill, I must admit I prefer the banality of Ludo to the chore of memorizing 100 plus pages of rules...

Here's a retro design for you. There is also a variant with stars and globes. Forget what they meant, and I am not about to find out.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

jimboo

Re: The banality of Ludo

Postby jimboo » 08 Jul 2021, 23:30

A
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 08 Jul 2021, 23:30

New

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 08 Jul 2021, 23:31

Low

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Jul 2021, 00:29

Back to square one originated in football radio commentaries. The pitch was divided into imaginary squares, square one was the penalty box. The ball getting played back to the keeper, resulted in "back to square one"
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jul 2021, 01:04

Jimbly wrote:Back to square one originated in football radio commentaries. The pitch was divided into imaginary squares, square one was the penalty box. The ball getting played back to the keeper, resulted in "back to square one"

Thanks, Jimbly.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jul 2021, 07:30

Jimbly wrote:Back to square one originated in football radio commentaries. The pitch was divided into imaginary squares, square one was the penalty box. The ball getting played back to the keeper, resulted in "back to square one"

Not so fast, Jim!

I must say that I find the theory that it comes from Snakes and Ladders much more plausible. It matches much better with the idea that the phrase evokes in my mind.
Not that we can be certain either way, of course.
Bugger off.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Jul 2021, 07:47

Tym loads of illustrations of pitches marked out in squares from the Radio Times. I get the snakes and ladders thing buy landing on a snake didn't necessarily result in going back to square one.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jul 2021, 08:08

Note the writer did not say it was snakes and ladders, but rather, a snakes and ladders type of game. Ludo has been around for centuries. Like chess, it originated in India, and is considered the mother of all board games of the type where you move pieces at the roll of a die.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jul 2021, 08:18

Jimbly wrote:Tym loads of illustrations of pitches marked out in squares from the Radio Times. I get the snakes and ladders thing buy landing on a snake didn't necessarily result in going back to square one.

Did you read the article? It explains about the charts printed in the Radio Times. I must admit, I'd never heard of that before.
There's no denying that system was used. He's just suggesting that it seems more plausible that the phrase as used today probably didn't originate there.

The truth is that we'll probably never know for sure but the snakes and ladder theory is more believable to me. I'm not suggesting that you're wrong for sticking with the football on the radio theory.
Bugger off.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Jul 2021, 09:04

no bother
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.