Which period in history has had the least number of wars and conflicts?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Which period in history has had the least number of wars and conflicts?

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Jun 2021, 19:05

PEACE IN OUR TIME: There have always been wars and conflicts. It is human nature. But is there any period in history that has been, shall we say, "relatively quiet"? When the EEC was founded in 1957, there was a period there, with relative peace in Western Europe. The now expanded and renamed EU boasts of the longest unbroken stretch of peace in Europe, but globally, that is another matter. Perhaps the pandemic of the past two years has put a lid on things, but somehow I doubt it.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

“Maxwell”
funky thigh collector

Re: Which period in history has had the least number of wars and conflicts?

Postby “Maxwell” » 30 Jun 2021, 19:32

The Mesozoic era was pretty quiet
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 30 Jun 2021, 19:56

Yeah, if you go back before human times you have a chance of discovering peace.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 30 Jun 2021, 20:10

The revered Twentieth Century was an unparallelled epoch as for: torture, rape, murder, and genocide in all of human history.

All of us grew up in it, and most of us do not like, or want, or are able to see it for what it really was.

And the 21th century is just an even more idiotic sequel to all of this misery.

The universally despised Middle Ages were better, believe me. One could consult the brilliant writings of Gilbert Keith Chesterton, for instance. His Orthodoxy is a meditation for the ages.
Last edited by Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman on 01 Jul 2021, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jun 2021, 21:50

Minnie the Minx wrote:The Mesozoic era was pretty quiet

Besides peace, love and harmony - what have the Mesozoa's ever done for us?
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 01 Jul 2021, 08:18

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:The revered Twentieth Century was an unparalleled epoch as for: torture, rape, murder, and genocide in all of human history.

All of us grew up in it, and most of us do not like, or want, or are able to see it for what it really was.

This is true.
As far as western Europeans of our sort of age are concerned, war is (largely) something that happens to other people. British armed forces even managed to keep out of Vietnam, but the other military involvements have been relatively tangential and seem remote to us in the comfort of our homes.
The migrations caused by recent conflicts doesn't seem to have opened too many people's eyes to the problems in other parts of the world. Instead, people just seem to want the problems of war to fuck off back to where they came from.
Bugger off.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 01 Jul 2021, 08:31

Rorschach wrote:
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:The revered Twentieth Century was an unparalleled epoch as for: torture, rape, murder, and genocide in all of human history.

This is true.
As far as western Europeans of our sort of age are concerned, war is (largely) something that happens to other people. British armed forces even managed to keep out of Vietnam, but the other military involvements have been relatively tangential and seem remote to us in the comfort of our homes.
The migrations caused by recent conflicts doesn't seem to have opened too many people's eyes to the problems in other parts of the world. Instead, people just seem to want the problems of war to fuck off back to where they came from.

Thank you, Rorschach -

recently I was asked to talk about my view on the Mediterranean region. I first described my impressions from about 40 to 45 years ago - how I loved the beaches. the coastal cities and villages in the south of France. The beauty of the landscapes, the general scenery, the feelings about the lovely subtropical weather conditions...

...and how different I feel about the Mediterranean now... the numbers of people who drowned there, trying to escape impossible conditions; the ways the dreadful Frontex operation tries to hound the still-living migrants away; all those refugees in Lampedusa, Lybia, Greece; and good people who try to rescue fellow humans can even be prosecuted.

Things have changed.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Jul 2021, 06:53

Minnie the Minx wrote:The Mesozoic era was pretty quiet

I think the Mesozoic counts as pre-history rather than history though... :?

Similarly there are periods in the stone ages and Bronze Age in which The archeological record suggests No large scale conflict (in the UK at least).
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Jul 2021, 10:01

The Roman Empire from around 32 BC to 250 AD probably counts, at least in Europe, as the longest period of perpetual peace punctuated by revolts but little in the way of truly serious, region-wide conflict other than border wars with the Marcomanni and the like.

After the Western half of the Empire dissolved, a raiding economy emerged which suited peoples like the Saxons, Franks and eventually, the Vikings. Perpetual fear of raiding would stay until 1100 or so.

China has had many periods of peace but is more prone to natural disasters such as earthquakes and flooding.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Jul 2021, 12:01

So that is where the term "Pax Romana" comes from, I guess?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Jul 2021, 12:04

When people consider Europe post WW2 they seem to forget Northern Ireland and more seriously, the Yugoslavian Civil War.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Jul 2021, 13:07

KeithPratt wrote:The Roman Empire from around 32 BC to 250 AD probably counts, at least in Europe, as the longest period of perpetual peace punctuated by revolts but little in the way of truly serious, region-wide conflict other than border wars with the Marcomanni and the like.

Boudicca and the Iceni might disagree. But I suppose that counts as a revolt.

Side note... It occured to me that the name Trevithick - as in the great Cornish engineer Richard Trevithick - comes from Boudicca. In Welsh she was Buddug. The town of Buddug would be Tref Buddug or Trefuddug which becomes Trevithick... :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Jul 2021, 13:13

It was a revolt, just like in Judaea and at around the same time when the Roman Empire was suffering from fluctuations - around 60 to 70.

But at no time was the Roman hegemony ever seriously threatened.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 02 Jul 2021, 14:19

KeithPratt wrote:When people consider Europe post WW2 they seem to forget Northern Ireland and more seriously, the Yugoslavian Civil War.

I tend to think of The Troubles as similar to what happened in several countries in Europe in that period, such as militant Basque separatism in Spain.
But, come to think of it, it was much closer to civil war than the other cases I can think of, which tended to be just militants against the state.
I wouldn't call it a war though; there were no pitched battles or field armies. It was much lower level than the Judaean revolt or the conflict with Boudicca.

And the Yugoslavian Civil War is one that I consider 'relatively tangential'. It may be part of our view of Europe these days but it seemed (to me) like something on the edge of civilisation back then.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 02 Jul 2021, 14:41

KeithPratt wrote:The Roman Empire from around 32 BC to 250 AD probably counts, at least in Europe, as the longest period of perpetual peace punctuated by revolts but little in the way of truly serious, region-wide conflict other than border wars with the Marcomanni and the like.

I think you've started a little early. The Battle of Actium was in 31 BCE.

And just in Augustus's reign there were wars in northern Spain, Germany, Switzerland and Austria (to give their modern names). And let's not forget the Battle of Teutoborg Forest.
Rome was in a near permanent state of war in the period you mentioned. It may have been generally peaceful within the empire itself but right on its borders it wasn't.
Roman citizens and subjects in much of the Empire may have been as complacent as citizens of western democracies today, but the Roman world as a whole was not a peaceful place.
Bugger off.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 02 Jul 2021, 14:56

It was always Bow-de-see-er when I was a kid.

Now, all of a sudden, Boo-di-ca!

What's all that about?!

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 02 Jul 2021, 14:59

The Prof wrote:It was always Bow-de-see-er when I was a kid.

What's all that about?!

Projectile firing arc, or bending deferentially at the waist?
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Jul 2021, 15:31

The Prof wrote:It was always Bow-de-see-er when I was a kid.

What's all that about?!

from Wikipedia:

Boudica or Boudicca (UK: /ˈbuːdɪkə, boʊˈdɪkə/, US: /buːˈdɪkə/), also known as Boadicea (/ˌboʊ(ə)dɪˈsiːə/, also US: /ˌboʊæd-/) or Boudicea, and in Welsh as Buddug (IPA: [ˈbɨðɨɡ]),[1][2] was a queen of the British Celtic Iceni tribe who led an uprising against the conquering forces of the Roman Empire in AD 60 or 61. According to Roman sources, shortly after the uprising failed, she poisoned herself or died of her wounds, although there is no actual evidence of her fate. She is considered a British folk hero.[3]

It's part of a revisionist trend - these long-dead native heroes coming over to Engerland, demanding to be known by their actual names!

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 02 Jul 2021, 16:32

The 1960's is closer to The Bronze Age than today is so I think we should stick with the original.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 02 Jul 2021, 22:17

Rorschach wrote:

I think you've started a little early. The Battle of Actium was in 31 BCE.

And just in Augustus's reign there were wars in northern Spain, Germany, Switzerland and Austria (to give their modern names). And let's not forget the Battle of Teutoborg Forest.
Rome was in a near permanent state of war in the period you mentioned. It may have been generally peaceful within the empire itself but right on its borders it wasn't.
Roman citizens and subjects in much of the Empire may have been as complacent as citizens of western democracies today, but the Roman world as a whole was not a peaceful place.

I would sincerely beg to differ. True, the battle of the Teutoberg forest decimated 3 legions - but the Tribes never really threatened the Empire itself in any meaningful way and places like Trier and Cologne prospered. The Empire was overwhelmingly peaceful for decades. There were outbreaks of violence, but nothing that ever threatened the security of the vast majority of its citizens. Places such as Gaul, Spain, mainland Italy, Northern Africa, Syria and Egypt were never troubled by sustained issues. The main threat to the Roman empire first emerged with the Parthians/Sassanids, which over the next century would lead to the creation of Constantinople as its nerve Centre.