The news today.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: The news today.

Postby der Freiherr » 16 Aug 2021, 18:51

It is appalling. I think most people agree that the US should've been out of there long, long ago, and that they should never have engaged or stayed beyond the immediate response to 9/11.

I'm interested to learn how much more the Biden Administration/the US could have done for people whose lives are now at risk and what they really expected from the government that fell.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Aug 2021, 23:33

Pretty good speech by el Chefe. I can't imagine he'll draw too much criticism but that's my fault because I don't watch Tucker and Sean enough. They'll probably find an angle showing him to be the senile, flip-flopping numbskull that he is not quite. He called a spade a spade for the most part. Good on him,
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 17 Aug 2021, 00:45

Oh, he's gonna get hammered by the right and the MSM, I'd wager.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Aug 2021, 18:12

Texas Governor tests positive for Covid and although he is vaccinated and has no symptoms he is being treated with monoclonal antibodies. Fucking coward.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 18 Aug 2021, 18:36

The foreign affairs committee chairman, who served in Afghanistan, said President Biden's comments about the Afghan military were "shameful".

MPs listened in silence to his speech, which was greeted with cheering and applause, which is not normally allowed in the Commons chamber.

Last edited by Samoan on 19 Aug 2021, 10:38, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Aug 2021, 19:12

^
:lol:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Aug 2021, 12:11

Shameful, badly handled a total mess, yes.

BUT we (and the US) shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Biden at least has the courage to follow through on what was Trump's plan which might incidentally just be the shittiest deal of the century:
We'll get out if you promise not to hurt any Americans (no mention of their allies, Afghani or otherwise).

My suspicion is the leadership of the Taliban are sincere when they say they will respect women's rights - and basic human rights (they are going to need a certain amount of good will from the rest of the world after all), however I also suspect that there may be more overzealous followers at work in the country.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 19 Aug 2021, 13:19

Deebank wrote:My suspicion is the leadership of the Taliban are sincere when they say they will respect women's rights - and basic human rights

They did say that this will be done along the lines of Sharia law, which in my view basically means "we'll do what we want according to what we believe, regardless of what anyone else thinks or wants".

And I agree, what is said publicly and what is done on the ground, especially by overzealous yahoos, are often two very different things, especially when there is no price to pay. :x
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 19 Aug 2021, 13:45

The only women they will respect - out of sheer need - will be doctors, nurses, pharmacists and the entire range of clinicians that will keep the big kahunas alive and functioning through this global pandemic.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 19 Aug 2021, 14:04

Samoan wrote:The only women they will respect - out of sheer need - will be doctors, nurses, pharmacists and the entire range of clinicians that will keep the big kahunas alive and functioning through this global pandemic.

And I fear "respect" is a big word here.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Aug 2021, 23:20

The Taliban won't need the Western world to help or respect them. Russia and China will help them, regardless. All the Chinese are interested in is that huge copper mine the Afghans are sitting on.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Aug 2021, 14:25

"The Taliban are sincere"

You wot

OUTPLAY
hounds people off the board

Postby OUTPLAY » 21 Aug 2021, 16:20

Idiotic.
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't know who it is that is throwing plastic bags overboard from ships, but it certainly isn't me, and I've never met anyone who does that.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Aug 2021, 18:01

KeithPratt wrote:"The Taliban are sincere"

You wot

Nice selective quoting there well done.

Perhaps you should Read and quote the whole post.

Anyway, I think the Taliban (leadership) don't have the 'luxury' of being able to be the mad as fuck, deeply unpleasant religious zealots that ISIS are. Although as I said above, I'm sure many of their footsoldiers will be happy to have a go.

They are now seeking to be the ruling party in Afghanistan and they will need some external support. Samoan mentions Russia and China who are both currently enjoying the abject failure of the US and its allies, but they both have their own Islamic problems (the Chechens and Uighurs respectively) and are hardly seen as friendly - especially Russia the Mujahadeen was created to kick them out in the first place.

The irony is of course that our allies Saudi Arabia and Pakistan are perhaps just as human rights averse and terrorist-friendly.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 22 Aug 2021, 21:15

It's all so disheartening, don't you agree? We've all been around long enough to know that hardly any political statement is trustworthy. The Uighurs are being discriminated and beaten up since the days of Deng Xiaoping, and probably also when Mao was in power but I don't know much about that. But I don't think I've heard 'the west' say much about this until now, while it can be used as an excuse to try halt the Chinese climb up to becoming the biggest economy in the world, which is inevitable. Same with the muslim enclaves in Russia; these are not genuine expressions of outrage but merely calculated statements because ultimately we in general don't give a fuck about the smaller picture. Wag the dog is such a great movie when it comes to things like these.

Despite of all the terrible things the Taliban stands for, they must be the toughest crowd ever assembled. They've persevered through decades of hardship. Afghanistan resembles the little village in Normandy where Asterix lives. It's a pity they're such a bunch of despicable assholes, otherwise I'd have the utmost respect.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 23 Aug 2021, 09:40

mudshark wrote:It's all so disheartening, don't you agree? We've all been around long enough to know that hardly any political statement is trustworthy. The Uighurs are being discriminated and beaten up since the days of Deng Xiaoping, and probably also when Mao was in power but I don't know much about that. But I don't think I've heard 'the west' say much about this until now, while it can be used as an excuse to try halt the Chinese climb up to becoming the biggest economy in the world, which is inevitable. Same with the muslim enclaves in Russia; these are not genuine expressions of outrage but merely calculated statements because ultimately we in general don't give a fuck about the smaller picture. Wag the dog is such a great movie when it comes to things like these.

Despite of all the terrible things the Taliban stands for, they must be the toughest crowd ever assembled. They've persevered through decades of hardship. Afghanistan resembles the little village in Normandy where Asterix lives. It's a pity they're such a bunch of despicable assholes, otherwise I'd have the utmost respect.

(A pedant notes ... not Normandy, Brittany (Armorica) - settled by Brythonic 'celts' from Great(er) Britain(ny) ie, indomitable Gauls.)

... It remains to be seen how pragmatic the Taliban are willing to be (if at all).

It looks likely that the country will descend into civil war which has the potential to become another proxy war if the Taliban are offered and accept aid from Russia and/or China. Although having bitten the bullet and taken US forces out I doubt they be redeployed any time soon and lest we forget, UK forces were withdrawn seven years ago - apart from trainers/advisors etc. It may be seen as the US's moral duty to support any anti-Taliban uprising in some form though.

I guess all these possibilities are being simulated in places like West Point and Sandhurst as we speak... God help us!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Aug 2021, 17:47

mudshark wrote:......

Perhaps hardship is easier to endure when they have opium to hand as a panacea as well as it constituting their currency.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 27 Aug 2021, 18:58

Is this a wise look to adopt in a major public address ?

https://www.afr.com/world/north-america/biden-s-worst-day-as-afghanistan-erupts-20210827-p58me7

Biden’s worst day as Afghanistan erupts.

U.S. President Joe Biden after explosions in Kabul killed 12 U.S. service members.

US President Joe Biden is likely to remember Thursday as his worst day in office.
It was the day when 13 US service members were killed in a terrorist bomb outside Kabul’s international airport as they helped desperate people escape the clutches of Taliban rule ahead of the August 31 deadline for US withdrawal.

Ref: From Financial Review

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Aug 2021, 19:09

Samoan wrote:Is this a wise look to adopt in a major public address ?

I'm going to grade on a curve and say "yes"
it is a gut wrenching situation. these are ghastly events. He bears a lot of responsibility.
he looks like a man who is weighing his words and is giving a considered response to a terrible situation.

I FAR prefer this to the dick-wad who discussed everything in terms of TV ratings.
these are tough times. Great leaders make it look easy. Biden is not a great leader. I'll settle for a fair one or even one who is thinking about his actions and regarding the opinions of others. I, for one, am happy to be rid of that little tin god jackass and am relieved that he is not the one leading our nation through these terrible events. He'd be ranting about Anti-fa or BLM or whoever he was pissed off at today.
uggy poopy doody.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 29 Aug 2021, 19:10

Sneelock wrote:
Samoan wrote:Is this a wise look to adopt in a major public address ?

I'm going to grade on a curve and say "yes"
it is a gut wrenching situation. these are ghastly events. He bears a lot of responsibility.
he looks like a man who is weighing his words and is giving a considered response to a terrible situation.

Yes, I appreciate what you mean now.

Initially I was very, very sceptical and thought it displayed weakness which one absolutely should not do for one millisecond with the emergence of this even more savage element, ISIS-Khorasan but you've analysed it extremely well.