The news today.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: The news today.

Postby Six String » 25 Jun 2021, 22:31

kath wrote:
kath wrote:
Six String wrote:Derek Chauvin, the ex police officer who killed George Floyd is being sentenced this afternoon. Prosecutors want 30 Y, defense wants probation! The max is 40 Y and someone with no previous record typically gets 12.5 Y. I don’t think they should be lenient and it shouldn’t be so low that he gets out in 2 Y based on good behavior.

the sentence is coming out any minute. the fucking rancid bastard.

he just got 22.5 years. not enough.

I agree.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2021, 10:31

‘Matt Wanksock’ :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 26 Jun 2021, 12:29

Cold War Steve
Give a shit or be a shit.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Jun 2021, 14:48

In case you haven't.....

Jonathan Pie on form

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Jun 2021, 15:08

The Prof wrote:In case you haven't.....

Jonathan Pie on form

Can’t argue with any of that.

Is it satire anymore?

Who knows.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 26 Jun 2021, 18:27

…. and he’s gone.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 28 Jun 2021, 06:54

Hightea wrote:Rudy Giuliani suspended from practicing law in New York state
about time

What does that mean in practical terms? Was he still practising?
Bugger off.

Flower

Postby Flower » 28 Jun 2021, 12:50

Western Canada could set new record for highest temperature ever recorded in this country

https://www.ctvnews.ca/climate-and-envi ... -1.5487662

TORONTO -- The heatwave baking Western Canada could shatter a decades-old record for the highest temperature ever recorded in the country.

On July 5, 1937, a temperature of 45 C was recorded in the towns of Midale, Sask. and Yellow Grass, Sask. – the highest temperature ever recorded in Canada.

Environment and Climate Change Canada senior climatologist Dave Phillips says it’s quite possible that this 84-year-old record will be “annihilated” in B.C. this week. In Lytton, B.C., as well as nearby Lillooet, temperatures are expected to reach 45 C on Sunday, 46 C on Monday and 47 C on Tuesday, and that's not including humidity.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 28 Jun 2021, 14:22

Rorschach wrote:
Hightea wrote:Rudy Giuliani suspended from practicing law in New York state
about time

What does that mean in practical terms? Was he still practising?

That's not really clear to me. He was theoretically operating as former President Trump's lawyer, which protected the content of their discussions from disclosure (so long as they were related to legal advice). Normally I would say, what good is Rudy Giuliani if he isn't a licensed attorney, but the very actions he undertook to get (at least temporarily) disbarred have elevated his status among 70 million people, so maybe his ability to hold himself out as a licensed attorney doesn't really matter anymore. And he proved himself time and time again to be one of America's Worst Lawyers on national TV, so maybe now he just operates as a public relations shill giving speeches and press conferences. Or he could do an inflammatory talk radio show.

Nevertheless, as the former United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, it's a remarkable official fall from grace. Presumably, it'll stick when he has his hearing and hopefully his licenses to practice in the federal courts and any other states where he may be licensed will all be given reciprocal treatment and he'll be disbarred everywhere.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 28 Jun 2021, 15:50

Thank you!

(I was hoping you might answer...)
Bugger off.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 28 Jun 2021, 15:58

I can't stay away from those questions!
It also means, obviously, that he can't advertise himself as an attorney in anything relating to the New York state courts or New York state law, can't take money for legal advice or give legal advice relating to that stuff, can't appear in New York state court, and must report his changed status to wherever else he's licensed. But, as has been highlighted, he probably really wasn't really doing that stuff anyway, and could probably bill people as a general PR/Political adviser.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 02 Jul 2021, 11:20

Labour hold onto Batley & Spen by 300 votes.
Sighs of relief for Starmer as apparently Angela Rayner was sizing it up for a leadership challenge.
Galloway beaten into 3rd place and threatening legal action.
A good result really.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 02 Jul 2021, 12:43

It's all been pretty quiet out here in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. :lol:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Jul 2021, 12:58

The Prof wrote:Labour hold onto Batley & Spen by 300 votes.
Sighs of relief for Starmer as apparently Angela Rayner was sizing it up for a leadership challenge.
A good result really.

Agreed.

Galloway got about 8000 votes which we can count as votes for the left (arguably, and much as it pains me to include a 24 carat twat like Galloway in that bracket) and the tory share decreased compared to the last election.

Also interesting to note that the Lib Dems barely scraped 1000 votes despite their recent byelection triumph in Amersham.

I don't count myself as a fan of Starmer, but I'm not sure it's worth anyone challenging him at this point. Andy Burnham seems sincere when he says he will see out his term as mayor of Manchester.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 02 Jul 2021, 13:18

It's a kick up the arse for Starmer but I'd be surprised if he does much about it.
A few focus groups, a jiggle about of personnel, maybe he'll even have a bath which will please Yomp no end, but he doesn't have the passion and determination and vision that Blair and Corbyn had, both from the opposing ends of the party.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 06 Jul 2021, 15:06

I can't help but wondering if we're heading back to square 1 with Covid.
All restrictions lifted. Wear a mask if you want to but nobody else will.
Unvaccinated under 25s all mixing and sweating together in cramped nightclubs. What was the point of them all shutting down? It looks like a recipe for disaster with any C-19 mutations given the green light

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 06 Jul 2021, 16:07

The Prof wrote:I can't help but wondering if we're heading back to square 1 with Covid.
All restrictions lifted. Wear a mask if you want to but nobody else will.
Unvaccinated under 25s all mixing and sweating together in cramped nightclubs. What was the point of them all shutting down? It looks like a recipe for disaster with any C-19 mutations given the green light

There are going to be variant incubation hotspots all over the world and the UK will surely be one of them.

I don't think anyone else is handling it much better though. Spain is desperate to let Brits back in for the summer and they're opening up too early, too.
I hope not, but it feels like just a matter of time before a variant appears that can bypass the current crop of vaccines.
I hope I'm wrong.
Bugger off.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 06 Jul 2021, 20:42

Deebank wrote:
The Prof wrote:Labour hold onto Batley & Spen by 300 votes.
A good result really.

Agreed.

Galloway got about 8000 votes which we can count as votes for the left (arguably, and much as it pains me to include a 24 carat twat like Galloway in that bracket) and the tory share decreased compared to the last election.

Also interesting to note that the Lib Dems barely scraped 1000 votes despite their recent byelection triumph in Amersham.

I don't count myself as a fan of Starmer, but I'm not sure it's worth anyone challenging him at this point. Andy Burnham seems sincere when he says he will see out his term as mayor of Manchester.

He is not the sort of man to take a cut in salary and expenses , is he. And who would trade being king of the north for ten years in the wilderness?
You don't like me...do you?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 06 Jul 2021, 22:23

der Freiherr wrote:I can't stay away from those questions!
It also means, obviously, that he can't advertise himself as an attorney in anything relating to the New York state courts or New York state law, can't take money for legal advice or give legal advice relating to that stuff, can't appear in New York state court, and must report his changed status to wherever else he's licensed. But, as has been highlighted, he probably really wasn't really doing that stuff anyway, and could probably bill people as a general PR/Political adviser.

obviously, i have no legal background whatsoever, but i think he's in deep sewage.

i think the suspension will lead to his being disbarred.

he just got subpoenaed from dominion. including five years of documents from all the crap he spewed on fox news.

if you believe the trump-whisperer journalists, trump's pissed off that rudy wanted his fees for being trump's lawyer. trump is displeased about rudy's lack of success. the whisperer word is, trumpworld has shunned him and are no longer taking his calls.

i know i sound like a tabloid, mwhaha, but i think he's goin down down down. as in... i don't think he has a single oar on his boat.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 06 Jul 2021, 22:51

kath wrote:if you believe the trump-whisperer journalists, trump's pissed off that rudy wanted his fees for being trump's lawyer. trump is displeased about rudy's lack of success. the whisperer word is, trumpworld has shunned him and are no longer taking his calls.

Donald Trump is so obviously an absolute nightmare of a client. I can't imagine anyone representing him without getting shitloads of cash upfront.