The news today.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: The news today.

Postby The Prof » 07 Jul 2021, 10:51

yomptepi wrote:He is not the sort of man to take a cut in salary and expenses , is he.


On what do you base that sweeping statement?

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 07 Jul 2021, 12:13

The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:He is not the sort of man to take a cut in salary and expenses , is he.


On what do you base that sweeping statement?


It was question, not a statement. But Burnham isn't a team player. Never has been. He is more like Boris Johnson than anyone else. Vainglorious, inept, ill informed, lazy, and far more interested in being in charge than getting things done. He will make a great leader of the opposition once the money runs out.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11530
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: The news today.

Postby Samoan » 07 Jul 2021, 13:39

The Prof wrote:I can't help but wondering if we're heading back to square 1 with Covid.
All restrictions lifted. Wear a mask if you want to but nobody else will.
Unvaccinated under 25s all mixing and sweating together in cramped nightclubs. What was the point of them all shutting down? It looks like a recipe for disaster with any C-19 mutations given the green light

I agree (although I'm hesitant to post this and sound like a prophet of doom).
As I understand it, there is still a review scheduled for 12 July which I'm pleased about before the expected final lifting of England's restrictions on 19 July when people of all ages will like as not party like they've never partied before, mess up the huge progress thus far made and succumb to the Delta variant.
I'm privately hoping England lose to Denmark this evening as a win will stack up more firewood.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 07 Jul 2021, 14:04

The Prof wrote:I can't help but wondering if we're heading back to square 1 with Covid.
All restrictions lifted. Wear a mask if you want to but nobody else will.
Unvaccinated under 25s all mixing and sweating together in cramped nightclubs. What was the point of them all shutting down? It looks like a recipe for disaster with any C-19 mutations given the green light


Not back to square one, but possibly some new and equally terrible place. The most vulnerable are safe. There has not been a death in a care home in the South West for over two months. even with the new high case numbers, there are only 11 people in hospital and two on ventilation in the South West. So we are not going back to 1600 deaths a day any time soon. I will continue to take my own precautions, and keep myself as safe as I need to. Obviously, people in cities will do differently, and those in London will do exactly as they please, as none of this stuff applies to them. I don't feel in any danger suddenly being overwhelmed by covid. And it has been a long , long lockdown. Maybe people do need to throw the dice and see whether we have got is under control. If not , then I guess it is lockdown 4. But I can see thaat life has got to be lived. It isn't up to the government to control things indefinitely. At some point you have to loosen the leash and see what happens.

The reality is a lot of this is just political grandstanding. Johnson says this so the opposite must be true. he says no go, then we should go, he says go then we should do the opposite. Whatever he does is going to be wrong in the eyes of the Corbynite fringes here. Of course for them, being a rudderless, leaderless, and electorally unelectable is bound to make you bitter, but somehow, we have to find a way to get through this mess. We have to learn to live with covid, and we cannot wait for there to be an acceptable Labour prime minister to do that.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: The news today.

Postby The Prof » 07 Jul 2021, 14:59

yomptepi wrote:and we cannot wait for there to be an acceptable Labour prime minister to do that.


:lol: Don't kid us all, you will never accept a Labour Prime Minister.

You're getting your unsubstantiated Burnham put-downs ready upthread just in case he takes over.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3644
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: The news today.

Postby Rorschach » 07 Jul 2021, 15:05

yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:He is not the sort of man to take a cut in salary and expenses , is he.


On what do you base that sweeping statement?


It was question, not a statement.


Formally, it's called a question (despite the lack of punctuation) but really it was a statement. No answer was expected and you were clearly giving your opinion.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3644
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: The news today.

Postby Rorschach » 07 Jul 2021, 15:15

yomptepi wrote:
Not back to square one, but possibly some new and equally terrible place. The most vulnerable are safe.


Are they though?

It only takes one vaccine resistant variant to appear and we are back at square 1. If you reduce restrictions too early you run the risk (or certainty, more like) that a lot of young people will start catching it. That's exactly what's happening here in Spain after they opened up a few weeks ago. They tend not to get very ill but increased transmission and infection leads to more opportunities for the virus to reproduce and mutate.
We already have variants that are more difficult to control and it won't take much more for something to appear that'll mean we have to start all over again.
Bugger off.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 07 Jul 2021, 15:25

Rorschach wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Not back to square one, but possibly some new and equally terrible place. The most vulnerable are safe.


Are they though?

It only takes one vaccine resistant variant to appear and we are back at square 1. If you reduce restrictions too early you run the risk (or certainty, more like) that a lot of young people will start catching it. That's exactly what's happening here in Spain after they opened up a few weeks ago. They tend not to get very ill but increased transmission and infection leads to more opportunities for the virus to reproduce and mutate.
We already have variants that are more difficult to control and it won't take much more for something to appear that'll mean we have to start all over again.


Maybe true. But if it is wrong, then you could be locking up people for absolutely no reason. And even if it is true, how long do you think young people will obey. In the cities they are already completely ignoring all public health warnings and doing as they please. Do you really believe there is a lid big enough to contain this once the general public have decided enough is enough?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 07 Jul 2021, 15:32

The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:and we cannot wait for there to be an acceptable Labour prime minister to do that.


:lol: Don't kid us all, you will never accept a Labour Prime Minister.

You're getting your unsubstantiated Burnham put-downs ready upthread just in case he takes over.


Burnham is the self proclaimed saviour of north. He was a legend when he was shadow health secretery for having absolutely no idea what was going on , with his stock answer to the Press being " you cannot expect me to have all the answers at my fingertips" , or the equally dumb " I cannot be expected to have the latest figures at hand". well, it was his fucking job to know that stuff, and arrogantly pointing out that he was too important to be expected to know it does not bode well for your future leader of the opposition. Still, at least his huge salary and expense account as Mayor of the North means he gets to dress really fashionably these days. He always looks sharp which I understand is important in the provinces. He probably even has a nice cardigan collection.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: The news today.

Postby The Prof » 07 Jul 2021, 19:23

You’ve got links and references for all those accusations I assume.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 07 Jul 2021, 19:31

The Prof wrote:You’ve got links and references for all those accusations I assume.


Do you actually follow politics, or do you just like his eyebrows?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: The news today.

Postby The Prof » 07 Jul 2021, 19:50

I like his eyebrows, obviously.
I'd just like to know where, when he was sticking up for Manchester, did he declare himself to be the saviour of the North. He was doing his job.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 44120
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: new orleans via bama via new orleans

Re: The news today.

Postby kath » 07 Jul 2021, 22:16

der Freiherr wrote:
kath wrote:if you believe the trump-whisperer journalists, trump's pissed off that rudy wanted his fees for being trump's lawyer. trump is displeased about rudy's lack of success. the whisperer word is, trumpworld has shunned him and are no longer taking his calls.


Donald Trump is so obviously an absolute nightmare of a client. I can't imagine anyone representing him without getting shitloads of cash upfront.


trump is now suing facebook and twitter. i think he's being represented by ivey, barnum & bailey. the grift message was released immediately after the announcement.

rudy just got suspended from practicing law in DC, too.

he set up one of those gofundme type accounts to raise money for his legal battles. his goal is 5 million.

so far he's raised $9,700.

could take him awhile, mwhaha.

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 1314
Joined: 27 Dec 2013, 13:24

Re: The news today.

Postby Robert » 07 Jul 2021, 23:57

Rorschach wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:
On what do you base that sweeping statement?


It was question, not a statement.


Formally, it's called a question (despite the lack of punctuation) but really it was a statement. No answer was expected and you were clearly giving your opinion.


Rhetorical question.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 08 Jul 2021, 01:08

The Prof wrote:I like his eyebrows, obviously.
I'd just like to know where, when he was sticking up for Manchester, did he declare himself to be the saviour of the North. He was doing his job.


For the first time in his life he was doing his job. And I think he is doing a good job too. What does ha have to gain by re entering mainstream politics when he is better rewarded and far better thought of as King of the North. He'd be insane to even consider it. That and his vanity would never let him.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46192
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: The news today.

Postby The Prof » 08 Jul 2021, 10:50

yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:I like his eyebrows, obviously.
I'd just like to know where, when he was sticking up for Manchester, did he declare himself to be the saviour of the North. He was doing his job.


For the first time in his life he was doing his job. And I think he is doing a good job too. What does ha have to gain by re entering mainstream politics when he is better rewarded and far better thought of as King of the North. He'd be insane to even consider it. That and his vanity would never let him.


He's not an MP so he'd have that hurdle to overcome... and Manchester isn't 'The North". and you still haven't said where those quotes were from.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: The news today.

Postby yomptepi » 08 Jul 2021, 11:38

The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:I like his eyebrows, obviously.
I'd just like to know where, when he was sticking up for Manchester, did he declare himself to be the saviour of the North. He was doing his job.


For the first time in his life he was doing his job. And I think he is doing a good job too. What does ha have to gain by re entering mainstream politics when he is better rewarded and far better thought of as King of the North. He'd be insane to even consider it. That and his vanity would never let him.


He's not an MP so he'd have that hurdle to overcome... and Manchester isn't 'The North". and you still haven't said where those quotes were from.


They could parachute him in anywhere in a big city, especially Manchester or Liverpool and he would stroll in. Winning the leadership might be an issue. But I really cannot see him giving up his Kingdom.

As for the quotes, he is often referred to as both " the King of the North " and "The saviour of the North.". The other quotes are from when he was a regular laughing stock on Eddie Mairs PM program on radio 4. Burnham's utter ineptitude was a joy.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24394
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: The news today.

Postby Deebank » 08 Jul 2021, 11:54

The fact that the England football team have only started winning since they adopted Marxism as their team ideology makes me proud to be English !!

Keep the red flag flying boys and the final is in the bag!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24394
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: The news today.

Postby Deebank » 08 Jul 2021, 12:04

Deebank wrote:The fact that the England football team have only started winning since they adopted Marxism as their team ideology makes me proud to be English !!

Keep the red flag flying boys and the final is in the bag!


And just to prove the point we have Gary Neville's comments on ITV last night:

The standard of the leaders in the past couple of years in this country has been poor but look at that man there... he’s everything a leader should be: respectful, humble, tells the truth, genuine. He’s fantastic, Gareth Southgate


:lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69332
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The news today.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Jul 2021, 19:50

yomptepi wrote: Burnham's utter ineptitude was a joy.


Yet he stood up for the families of the Hilsborough tragedy when your Queen Thatcher presided over a vicious smear campaign against them.

I know who I'd be trusting first - Burnham or you and your politicians of choice? Not difficult really, if judgement is the barometer.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.