Six String’s Excellent Adventure

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Six String’s Excellent Adventure

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2021, 17:25

Rebecca and I just got back from a six day trip down the eastern side of the Sierra mountains. It was inspired by our large roadtrip as we began that trip in the general area. We stayed in Lee Vining where Mono Lake resides for two nights and did a hike down to one of the creeks that feeds the lake. Walked around town one night and came upon a Little League game which was fun. We also visited Bodie, CA which is the largest ghost town in the U.S. and is strangely supported by the state where they keep it in a state of arrested decay without any improvements. I’d like to know the story of how that came about. The town existed due to the goldrush and slinked along until 1942 and was eventually bought by the state from the majority land owner at the time. Unfortunately we had to deal with gale force winds that day so we were unable to see as much as we might have otherwise. Gusts must have been 60mph or more, just insane. We got up at dawn the next day to get some early photos of Mono Lake which turned out great. I saw only three other people out there which for California is a minor miracle. Much better experience than last time when we went around 6 p.m.

On our way to Bishop we drove through the June Lake loop and Mammoth Lakes, the latter a ski resort for the L.A. crowd. We revisited the Bristle Cone pines near Bishop and this time made it to the Patriarch Grove where the largest Bristle Cone pine tree is located. The last twelve miles were gravel and single lane for the last mile so you really had to want to be there. This was at 10-11K feet in elevation. Normally there would still be snow up there but because of the drought there was none. We were given free tickets to the state high school rodeo championship in Bishop by the hotel staff so that gave us something to do Friday evening that was out of the ordinary for us. With all the flag waving, conservative clap trap during the opening ceremony we felt like we were in another world. We visited a brewpub and a distillery also before leaving town.

On our way home we stopped at Mammoth Lakes to eat lunch and taste (small ones) a few of their beers. We stayed our last night in Bridgeport which is a very small town like Lee Vining and made our drive home shorter. There were hot springs (non commercial) about five minutes from the motel so we got up at the crack of dawn again and made our way there. There were several cars in the parking lot but we were able to hike a short distance to our own little hole in the ground and sit in the hot spring for a little while just to say we did it. Driving over the Sierra (to and fro) was beautiful and relaxing.

We did manage to visit two distilleries on our trip, one in Bishop and another in Mammoth so brought back a few bottles we liked including a bottle of Absinthe. :) Once again we timed our travels well and got in before the crowds picked up and the heat increased.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: Six String’s Excellent Adventure

Postby souphound » 19 Jun 2021, 20:45

Sounds absolutely divine. Here's me totally jealous.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 19 Jun 2021, 20:50

That's excellent, I've never been out and about in the California countryside and I'm envious of anyone who lives in or near great natural beauty.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Jun 2021, 21:17

On our way back from the Patriarch Grove we came upon a car coming up the hill while on that 1 mile stretch of one lane gravel road. It took about twenty minutes to figure out how and where to backup our car so both could pass safely. A little hair raising but everyone was cool and cooperative as one should be in a situation like that so it all worked out. Since this isn’t the UK they were on the side of the road facing a steep hillside. Except for the mountains surrounding Mono Lake the only places we saw snow were on the 14,000 footers of which there are several between Mammoth and Bishop.

Edit: as mentioned in a prequel, we saw a beaver swimming in the East Walker River which ran behind our motel in Bridgeport. I saw a bald eagle around Mammoth and cottontail bunnies at dusk in Lee Vining when we walked around town.
Mickey Newbury

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 19 Jun 2021, 23:13

Thanks. I looked up Mono Lake, Bodie, Mammoth Lakes and the Patriarch Grove, sounds wonderful, very interesting and in the case of Mammoth Lakes in particular, stunningly beautiful. Glad to hear you've been enjoying yourself.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Jun 2021, 16:01

Sounds like a great trip.

Is Mono Lake where some photos for Wish You Were Here were taken?

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Jun 2021, 16:20

trans-chigley express wrote:Sounds like a great trip.

Is Mono Lake where some photos for Wish You Were Here were taken?

Yes. That is what drew me there the first time.
Mickey Newbury

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jun 2021, 16:39

Sounds fantastic Les

Good lad!

Lovely

The Slider wrote:
Rorschach wrote:Is this one of those references that only prog goons get?

Why would you expect otherwise?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 20 Jun 2021, 17:24

Nice goin', Les!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Jun 2021, 19:58

X
Didn’t work.
Last edited by Six String on 20 Jun 2021, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey Newbury

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Jun 2021, 19:58

X
Mickey Newbury

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 26 Jun 2021, 14:38

This sounds absolutely fabulous. The pics you sent were astonishing. Thanks for sharing!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Jun 2021, 16:09

The eastern slope of the Sierra is another world compared to the western side. It’s more rural and wild and all the towns are small so while the people may have a more conservative mind it also attracts off the grid types so an interesting mix. The natural beauty is awe inspiring. Then in the middle there is Mammoth Lakes and June Lake which are playgrounds for the L.A. ski crowd in the winter and mountain bikers and fishermen in the summer.
Mickey Newbury