Would you want this job ?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Would you want this job ?

Postby Samoan » 10 Jun 2021, 13:22

A carer needed for an older man

Hello, we are a family of 4 generations living in Gorsedown SW6. My father came to live with us last October when the Pandemic was making life in a care home very miserable for all.
He is 94 and has settled well (he is not so keen on change) and although frail at times is little trouble and spends much of the day entertaining himself, reading his library of books - history, geography, politics, theology.

He used to teach History and was a Headmaster. The household is a friendly and busy one and he is happy living in Gorsedown.

My 3 siblings call him on the phone regularly and he enjoys seeing his 12 grandchildren and 2 great grandchildren often, on Zoom or hopefully in future

We are looking for a trustworthy, kindly carer who can give a hand getting him up, helping with personal care, overseeing his medication, making breakfast, preparing lunch (and some suppers), assisting him on keeping mobile around the house, occasionally getting out and about outside; getting him ready for bed and being in the house with him when we are not.

He is mobile for short distances with the help of two walking sticks and has an electric wheelchair for longer distances outside.

The role of carer/s involves hours Monday - Thursday 8.30am - 2pm and 4pm - 7.30pm and Saturday and Sunday 8.30am-2pm and 7pm-7.30pm to assist getting to bed. It could be possible to split mornings and afternoons v 2 carers.

We also have a local carer who covers a Friday day off and can be of assistance when extra help is needed.

Care needs:

Preparation of meals
Support with personal care
Daily routines
Companionship
No sleep or waking nights required at present
Assistance with daytrips or trips in car, support in the community
Lighthousehold duties (sic) - washing of clothes, wardrobe
Safe administration of medication
Good timekeeping
Good record keeping
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Would you want this job ?

Postby Rorschach » 10 Jun 2021, 14:47

Not personally. I have a better job than that and I'd quite like to retire soon.

I would have thought it wouldn't be easy to find someone just right for that job. They'd need to be able to devote all their time to the job so they can't really have a family life. Or any other kind of life. It doesn't mention accommodation which could well be an issue.
Bugger off.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Jun 2021, 21:34

This is the kind of stuff I do but not full time or with one individual person. Have you looked at Care provider services?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 10 Jun 2021, 21:59

Jimbly wrote:This is the kind of stuff I do but not full time or with one individual person. Have you looked at Care provider services?

Oh sorry, I should have made clear.

This was an advert for a position placed by someone a few months ago on my neighbourhood message board, on behalf of a friend of hers. I'm sure this family have explored the official accountable contacts and services and now want a private carer.

I wanted to see what people on BCB thought about the job description and if they'd want to do it or indeed could do it.

I think what Rorschach said was on the money -

Rorschach wrote: ....

I would have thought it wouldn't be easy to find someone just right for that job.

They'd need to be able to devote all their time to the job so they can't really have a family life. Or any other kind of life.

It doesn't mention accommodation which could well be an issue.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Jun 2021, 14:43

When B's father was living with us, we had Personal Support Workers (PSWs) come in twice a day, every day, but it wasn't always the same person and the shifts weren't as long as the ones advertised above. B wasn't working, though, so she was at home with him for the rest of the day.

It's hard fucking work, and aside from all the other duties, you need to be physically strong, especially the more debilitated the person is.

I wouldn't want to do it, but I have a ton of respect and admiration for those that do.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 11 Jun 2021, 15:52

We do a minimum of 1 hour per support. My longest support at the moment is 2 hours, in the past I had one that was 4 hours. I might have a 6 hour one coming up.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Jun 2021, 15:57

As a mildly interesting side note, almost all of the PSWs that came to our house were Tibetan women.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Jun 2021, 16:18

harvey k-tel wrote:As a mildly interesting side note, almost all of the PSWs that came to our house were Tibetan women.

Did they come when they were free?

Sorry
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.