Pita kebab

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: Pita kebab

Postby der Freiherr » 09 Jun 2021, 14:10

Rorschach wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:
I remember first encountering the mysterious "Doner Kebab" when I was a summer student in Austria. A bewildering event.

I'm sure I remember seeing something spelt 'Kebob' in New York in the 90s. What was that then?

This would’ve been about 2002, my first time in Europe.
There’s no accounting for spelling in New York.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 09 Jun 2021, 14:10

Kabob, I've definitely seen. My Baltimore mate was raving about a place he goes to regularly there.

https://maiwandkabob.com/
bingleton

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 14:38

OK, so it's maybe an east coast variant spelling, and it's just kebabs on a skewer, not something different.
Bugger off.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 09 Jun 2021, 14:41

I think when that spelling was prevalent in America when it was a common party food in the 60s and 70s. Shish-Kabob! Which was really just grilled cubes of meat and grilled vegetables on a skewer.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 09 Jun 2021, 15:15

I can’t believe none of you know what kabob is!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Jun 2021, 15:15

GoogaMooga wrote:The Doner on the spit comes in two variants, one is the layered pieces of meat, the other one, which I refer to as "processed", is in solid form, churned (?) and pressed together.

Elephants Leg (Left) and Gyros (Right)
Give a shit or be a shit.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Jun 2021, 06:02

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:The Doner on the spit comes in two variants, one is the layered pieces of meat, the other one, which I refer to as "processed", is in solid form, churned (?) and pressed together.

I have never ever seen a place using the one on the left, and I hope I never do, it looks disgusting

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 10 Jun 2021, 14:09

trans-chigley express wrote:

I have never ever seen a place using the one on the left, and I hope I never do, it looks disgusting

Same here, and I couldn't agree more. Might as well have a baloney sandwich if life isn't that important to you.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Jun 2021, 17:19

I can't believe people are besmirching the classic doner elephant's leg. It's the perfect mix of tradition, nutrition and science. One of the few meals which is properly roasted in the true traditional meaning of the word, on a rotating spit in front of a fire(kind of). It has to be healthy, because you can literally see the fat dripping off it as you wait in the kebab shop. And it basically bears no relation to any part of a real animal, ever, but tastes bloody good with chilli sauce.

Bloody cavemen, I bet you didn't like the plough when that was invented, either.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 10 Jun 2021, 18:37

Darkness_Fish wrote:I can't believe people are besmirching the classic doner elephant's leg. It's the perfect mix of tradition, nutrition and science. One of the few meals which is properly roasted in the true traditional meaning of the word, on a rotating spit in front of a fire(kind of). It has to be healthy, because you can literally see the fat dripping off it as you wait in the kebab shop. And it basically bears no relation to any part of a real animal, ever, but tastes bloody good with chilli sauce.

Bloody cavemen, I bet you didn't like the plough when that was invented, either.

:D

I had simile chicken/mayo sandwiches on white bread every day for lunch through all of high school. Let's just say it wasn't by choice.

So, dripping fat or no dripping fat, no thanks.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 10 Jun 2021, 23:04

souphound wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:

Same here, and I couldn't agree more. Might as well have a baloney sandwich if life isn't that important to you.

Tube steak boogie. :D
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Jun 2021, 15:00

Give me a massive bun and a bottle of mustard and I'll eat that giant fucking hotdog.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 12 Jun 2021, 10:56

In the Netherlands it's called Shoarma and, especially in the early days (70's, 80s) all the food joints that sold it had Jewish names like Tel Aviv, Haifa, Shalom etc. Yet they were all run by Moroccans and Turks. We thought 'peace in our time'. Oy ve, we were wrong.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 12 Jun 2021, 15:19

mudshark wrote:In the Netherlands it's called Shoarma ...

It's often called Shawarma in Spain too.I think it's the original Arabic name for the food.
Bugger off.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Jun 2021, 15:23

mudshark wrote:In the Netherlands it's called Shoarma and, especially in the early days (70's, 80s) all the food joints that sold it had Jewish names like Tel Aviv, Haifa, Shalom etc. Yet they were all run by Moroccans and Turks. We thought 'peace in our time'. Oy ve, we were wrong.

How do you know whether or not the owners/vendors were Jewish?
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Jun 2021, 07:38

Kabab is Arabic for Roasted meat.

Shawarma is an Arabic term derived from the Turkish to "rotate".