Pita kebab

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Pita kebab

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2021, 16:31

I had a pita kebab today. Don't know why Americans call them gyros, but I had a pita kebab today. They vary in quality depending on where you buy them, and today's lunch was a big disappointment. The pita bread should be light and thin, not thick and doughy. The chili sauce and garlic dressing are a constant, they never let you down, and the chili is good on a hot summer's day. The meat should ideally be pure beef or lamb, not that processed thing you see rotating on a spit in the kitchen area. But even there, the quality can vary. Some processed kebab meat is okay, but most of it is junk, maybe offal, even. Well, so much for the kebab. I think I prefer a hot dog.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Pita kebab

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Jun 2021, 16:48

GoogaMooga wrote:I had a pita kebab today. Don't know why Americans call them gyros

I know right? The Greeks also call them gyros! ‘Go Figure’!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 08 Jun 2021, 17:51

GoogaMooga wrote:The meat should ideally be pure beef or lamb, not that processed thing you see rotating on a spit in the kitchen area.

I think every gyro Ive ever had has come off the rotating spit thang

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 08 Jun 2021, 17:51

GoogaMooga wrote:I think I prefer a hot dog.

Having worked for a company that "manufactured" hot dogs, and being in the office, having seen our ingredient purchases at the time, I only ever very reluctantly have a hot dog. Just saying, like. Having said that, I'm sure there are good healthier ones out there, but they are not the norm by any means.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 08 Jun 2021, 17:53

Mike Boom wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:The meat should ideally be pure beef or lamb, not that processed thing you see rotating on a spit in the kitchen area.

I think every gyro Ive ever had has come off the rotating spit thang

And didn't know there was a differentiation of "pure" and "processed." I thought the rotating spit was full of thin slices of the meat.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 08 Jun 2021, 17:55

GoogaMooga wrote:I had a pita kebab today. Don't know why Americans call them gyros, but I had a pita kebab today.

THIS is a kebab, my friend. I don't know why non-Greek Europeans call gyros kebabs! It's bonkers!

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jun 2021, 18:29

der Freiherr wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I had a pita kebab today. Don't know why Americans call them gyros, but I had a pita kebab today.

THIS is a kebab, my friend. I don't know why non-Greek Europeans call gyros kebabs! It's bonkers!

That's what we call a Shish Kebab and they are heavenly.

The atrocity Googa subjected himself to is known here as a Doner Kebab.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 08 Jun 2021, 19:15

Sorry, I was just having a bit of kebab fun!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jun 2021, 19:27

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 08 Jun 2021, 19:33

Samoan wrote:We live in serious times and I am grumpy.

Preach it! That makes two of us!

I remember first encountering the mysterious "Doner Kebab" when I was a summer student in Austria. A bewildering event.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 08 Jun 2021, 19:36

Speaking of Austria, how is it that you could be two hours south of FUCKING MUNICH and have no decent beer available whatsoever? Bizarre.

I gather there's an Augustiner outpost in Salzburg, but that doesn't do you much fucking good in Innsbruck, does it! You might as well be in Switzerland or FUCKING FRANCE.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 08 Jun 2021, 19:56

Scandalous !

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2021, 20:09

The Doner on the spit comes in two variants, one is the layered pieces of meat, the other one, which I refer to as "processed", is in solid form, churned (?) and pressed together.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jun 2021, 20:10

Danish hot dogs are king, and the Danish hot dog stand should be on UNESCO's world heritage list.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 09 Jun 2021, 10:48

If you go to Vienna and ask for a hot dog they just give you a sausage. That's it - a sausage on a paper plate!
Can you believe it???
You have to ask for a hot dog in bread.
It's a crazy world we live in

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 11:05

The Prof wrote:If you go to Vienna and ask for a hot dog they just give you a sausage. That's it - a sausage on a paper plate!
Can you believe it???
You have to ask for a hot dog in bread.
It's a crazy world we live in

So what happens in the Vienna IKEA?
Bugger off.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 09 Jun 2021, 11:57

I don't know, but it doesn't have car park.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 09 Jun 2021, 12:20

The Prof wrote:I don't know, but it doesn't have car park.

You have to go to the park for cars.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jun 2021, 12:39

Funnily enough there's no such thing as a doner kebab in Turkey. They only do chicken on the spit

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 09 Jun 2021, 14:07

der Freiherr wrote:
I remember first encountering the mysterious "Doner Kebab" when I was a summer student in Austria. A bewildering event.

I'm sure I remember seeing something spelt 'Kebob' in New York in the 90s. What was that then?
Bugger off.