‘Almost everyone hates theirs’.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: ‘Almost everyone hates theirs’.

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Jun 2021, 14:05

der Freiherr wrote:My middle name is my paternal grandmother’s family name.

Same here. Michener. I dig it.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 04 Jun 2021, 14:47

Geezee wrote:
HotRats wrote:My middle name is "Huw" and I would have been much happier with that as my first name.

My first name is a Welsh name that everyone seems determined to pronounce wrong at every available opportunity, regardless of how many times I tell what the real pronunciation is. Ditto with the spelling.

Lots of people switch! Rebrand yourself!

as James Paul McCartney did

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 04 Jun 2021, 14:50

My mother named me after her favourite actor in the 60's Raymond Francis who played a detective in a series she loved. I don't dislike the name but I rarely make reference to it except for passport or identity card usage.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Jun 2021, 15:24

I really like my name which is an improvement on what my dad WANTED to call me which was ‘Sherry Samantha’
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 04 Jun 2021, 16:13

Anthony, but I insist on the pronunciation as in Antony (without the H) rather than the version that sounds the "th"
We're way past rhubarb

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Jun 2021, 16:42

I always pronounce it as a hard t - it seems strangely affected to pronounce it as ‘th’ though it’s totally appropriate!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Jun 2021, 18:58

Minnie the Minx wrote:I always pronounce it as a hard t - it seems strangely affected to pronounce it as ‘th’ though it’s totally appropriate!

Which is funny because I’d never heard anyone do the hard t on a th until I knew British people.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 04 Jun 2021, 19:49

der Freiherr wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I always pronounce it as a hard t - it seems strangely affected to pronounce it as ‘th’ though it’s totally appropriate!

Which is funny because I’d never heard anyone do the hard t on a th until I knew British people.

Wikipedia explains it all.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 04 Jun 2021, 20:20

HotRats wrote:My middle name is "Huw" and I would have been much happier with that as my first name.

My first name is a Welsh name that everyone seems determined to pronounce wrong at every available opportunity, regardless of how many times I tell what the real pronunciation is. Ditto with the spelling.

Hot is a Welsh name?
You don't like me...do you?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 04 Jun 2021, 22:25

der Freiherr wrote:

You should hear the mess going on with francophones trying to pronounce English words/names and vice versa. It's a hoot. :lol:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Jun 2021, 23:24

trans-chigley express wrote:My mother named me after her favourite actor in the 60's Raymond Francis who played a detective in a series she loved. I don't dislike the name but I rarely make reference to it except for passport or identity card usage.

Inspector Lockhart! Murder Bag and No Hiding Place, remember them well.
My own Ray proabably came from Mr Milland. My mother liked the movies
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 05 Jun 2021, 00:25

Positive Passion wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

Oh yeah? What does it say?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 05 Jun 2021, 00:58

der Freiherr wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
der Freiherr wrote:

Oh yeah? What does it say?

i don't know what the fucque is goin on around here, frankly.

when i was growing up, anthonys were "th" anthonys. then i heard all these movies and shakespeare productions that said, antony.

i had a very close friend named anTHony. he was an usher at my wedding. he ended up marrying one of my closest friends, jet. i asked him what the deal was. he said, "people do whatever the fucque they want with names."

there is much truth to that. my last name, via first marrriage, is mccarty. and EVERYONE i'm around in real life since the mid 80's calls it mccarthy.

i give up on this issyew.

kath

Postby kath » 05 Jun 2021, 01:12

maybe.... there's sumthin about an implied aspirant "h" behind the tee that makes folk translate it as an actual sounded h-combination sound.

okay, loggin off.

kath

Postby kath » 05 Jun 2021, 01:19

yomptepi wrote:

Hot is a Welsh name?

of course it is. it is spellt in the orignal, llanhaughtgollenarafnes.

okay. NOW i am loggin off.

p.s. don't even get me on the "rats" part of it.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 05 Jun 2021, 16:13

Wiki says the derivation is anton from Latin, but at some point (1500s) people put the h in claiming the derivation was Greek.
It then goes on to say that in UK pronunciation the hard t is largely used for both spellings, but in the US pronunciation is largely differentiated.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Jun 2021, 08:53

I would guess the McCarthy/carty thing is due to the Irish pronunciation of the th. it being an Irish name. it is actually originally spelled Mac Carthaigh. I remember the author of the book McCarthy’s Bar having the original Irish as something like Mhic Corthoih. :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Jun 2021, 12:56

kath wrote:my last name, via first marrriage, is mccarty.

Ooh - any relation to this guy?

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 07 Jun 2021, 01:42

Positive Passion wrote:Wiki says the derivation is anton from Latin, but at some point (1500s) people put the h in claiming the derivation was Greek.
It then goes on to say that in UK pronunciation the hard t is largely used for both spellings, but in the US pronunciation is largely differentiated.

How very strange!

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 07 Jun 2021, 09:43

yomptepi wrote:

Hot is a Welsh name?

You know, I stared at your post for ages trying to get the joke. Until I remembered what my user name is :lol: :lol: