‘Almost everyone hates theirs’.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

‘Almost everyone hates theirs’.

Postby Samoan » 03 Jun 2021, 18:15

What do you feel about your middle name ?
Keir Starmer is of the opinion that almost everyone hates theirs.
I don't mind mine although it's a bit of a mouthful with 4 syllables.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/02/almost-everyone-hates-theirs-keir-starmer-reveals-middle-name-is-rodney

Were you named for anyone in particular ?
Last edited by Samoan on 03 Jun 2021, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: ‘Almost everyone hates theirs’.

Postby kath » 03 Jun 2021, 19:30

Samoan wrote:What do you feel about your middle name ?

Keir Starmer is of the opinion that almost everyone hates theirs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jun/02/almost-everyone-hates-theirs-keir-starmer-reveals-middle-name-is-rodney

my first name now, kathleen, started out as my middle name. so i'm good with it.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 03 Jun 2021, 19:32

Hurrah, kath!

I've just remembered, there is/was a habit in the British Isles for your middle name to be your mother's maiden name. My dad (born 1916) was middle named that way and I know two of my own age buddies were as I recall how their wedding invitations were inscribed.
Last edited by Samoan on 03 Jun 2021, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 03 Jun 2021, 19:43

Mine is of Hindi/Sanskrit origin, so named because my parents were members of the Vedanta Temple when I was born. As I've said before, I am the religious mutt of all time.

I don't so much hate my middle name as tire of explaining why a white guy from urban LA has that name, and what it means. I've come to just using my initial in most cases. Say or write my middle name and the tiring questions come.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 03 Jun 2021, 20:07

Samoan wrote:Hurrah, kath!

I've just remembered, there is/was a habit in the British Isles for your middle name to be your mother's maiden name. My dad (born 1916) was middle named that way and I know two of my own age buddies were as I recall how their wedding invitations were inscribed.

i started out ruth kathleen maiden name.

when i first got married in the 80s, i dropped the ruth and changed to kathleen maiden name married name. ruth was my ma's middle name, but everyone had always called me by some version of kathleen anyway, so i kept that.

my ma, my dad, and my eldest brother all went by their middle names. my son does, too.

my sister's middle name became the beezle's name, elizabeth.

i think we're not so much representative of anyone else in america, as just plain weird. mwhahahaa.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 03 Jun 2021, 20:07

I have a very French Canadian name but my middle name is that of my godfather/uncle's and is VERY anglo: Grant! I'm perfectly fine with that. He is a good man and I respect him a whole lot. Middle names are rarely used for anything here anyway.

When naming our daughter, my then wife and I chose a name that would sound fine both in English and in French. Her middle name was picked because it sounded good in the mix. The fact that this middle name - Anne - with her last name, is the name of a famous Canadian author is besides the point and has nothing to do with anything.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Jun 2021, 20:39

ha I don't have a problem with my middle name, Scott.
I more enjoy my initials SSS, I've got a friend that calls me S cubed and actually use that was an email.

I was named after my uncles wife who died just before I was born. I would have been Sadie if I was a girl. I think my middle name was just added because it flowed well Steven Scott.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 03 Jun 2021, 20:51

I don't have a middle name and always wished I had.
For that reason and a couple of others, we decided to give our son, Louis, a middle name, even though it's not common in Spain and people often think it's weird.
We chose 'Santiago' because we wanted him to have a Spanish name he could use if he decided to identify as Spanish as he grew up. Also, my wife was a bit obsessed with the Camino de Santiago at the time and I thought that Louis Santiago King sounded like a pretty rock 'n' roll name.

You may not be surprised to hear that he hates his middle name.
Bugger off.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 03 Jun 2021, 22:36

I don't hate my middle name but I don't think about it very much.

I was born in the 60s in a small town in Australia. My parents gave me what they thought at the time were unusual names - Jeremy Nigel.

In 1968 my famiky moved from Austealia to the UK.

THE NEXT PART OF THIS POST REFLECTS OLD-FASHIONED ATTITUDES HELD BY CERTAIN PEOPLE BORN IN THE 1920s IN HICKSVILLE, NSW, AUSTRALIA

Years later my mum said that "it was only when she moved to England that she realised they were both names given to poofters".

My son is very proud of his middle name - Xavier - because it gives him X as an initial.

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Jun 2021, 23:14

My middle name is my father’s middle name and I don’t hate it. When I was young I didn’t like my first name because Leslie is one of those names that could be assigned to either sex like Pat, Kim, Terry, etc. On top of being red haired, skinny, glasses, freckles and being bookish, it was one more way to tease me. My dad didn’t like his first name so he decided to go by his middle name but used Jim instead of James. He even suggested I do the same when ai mentioned it once but never did. Once I became an adult my name became a non issue as did my red hair, glasses and the rest.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 03 Jun 2021, 23:49

I've got three middle names, in good Christian family tradition, all names are from my respective grandfathers.
Only issue is that the last one, Francois needs a cedille on the C and in one or two cases it gave some issues and passport control where that is not being recognised.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Jun 2021, 00:22

My middle name is my paternal grandmother’s family name. She died when my dad was a teenager and he was very close to her family, most of whom were dying out at the time of my birth. I like it, always have.

I wouldn’t have minded getting in on the Mexican way of having your mother’s maiden family name appended to your father’s surname, as I resemble my mother’s family in looks and temperament more than I do my father’s family. So it goes.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 04 Jun 2021, 07:03

I dislike my own (Alexander) but I never ever think about it.
That name was in honour of a relative, now long gone. My own children also have middle names taken from their grandparents.
Maybe the middle name is more important for the name-giver than the named. Just knowing the connection is there is comforting, in a small way.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 04 Jun 2021, 08:32

der Freiherr wrote:... the Mexican way ...

I think it's the same in the entire Spanish speaking world. Here in Spain, they (relatively) recently changed the law so people can choose which surname they use first. Maybe that would suit you even better.
In practise, people normally only use the second surname on official documents and such.
Bugger off.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 04 Jun 2021, 08:47

Rorschach wrote:

I think it's the same in the entire Spanish speaking world. Here in Spain, they (relatively) recently changed the law so people can choose which surname they use first. Maybe that would suit you even better.
In practise, people normally only use the second surname on official documents and such.

Yes, my sister-in-law is Chilean and she and my brother named my nephew and niece in that tradition on their birth certificates.

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 04 Jun 2021, 09:25

My middle name is "Huw" and I would have been much happier with that as my first name.

My first name is a Welsh name that everyone seems determined to pronounce wrong at every available opportunity, regardless of how many times I tell what the real pronunciation is. Ditto with the spelling.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Jun 2021, 09:53

Middle name is George, which was my father's first name, and before that, the name of his father's elder brother, killed in action in 1917 (my father was born in 1920). I didn't see the point of it when I was young, but have mellowed since, and sometimes whimsically go by R George rather than Ray G.
Incidentally, the meaning of my three names are 'good husbandman', 'delver in the earth' and 'estate bailiff' - Farmer Farmer Farmer. So much for nominative determinism
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Jun 2021, 09:57

HotRats wrote:My middle name is "Huw" and I would have been much happier with that as my first name.

My first name is a Welsh name that everyone seems determined to pronounce wrong at every available opportunity, regardless of how many times I tell what the real pronunciation is. Ditto with the spelling.

Lots of people switch! Rebrand yourself!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Jun 2021, 09:59

I have two - both my grandfathers' names, which is quite common in Sweden. They are not aesthetically pleasing names per se, but I like the connection it brings. At university it became a drinking game challenge to pronounce them...
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 04 Jun 2021, 12:19

Rorschach wrote:

I think it's the same in the entire Spanish speaking world

That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t certain and I was typing on my phone in a restaurant so ...
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.