Did Bela Lugosi ever say "bevare"?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Did Bela Lugosi ever say "bevare"?

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 May 2021, 19:44

Beware... beware... did our favorite Hungarian ever say "beware" with a "v"? It sounds really cool.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: Did Bela Lugosi ever say "bevare"?

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 12 May 2021, 19:59

He did, GM. To be precise, it was in one of Ed Wood's magisterial movie enterprises (wasn't it Glen Or Glenda? However, that was a brilliant piece of film-making, no matter what they said at the time. I recall that a European art channel (ARTE) broadcast it, and by then I only knew it by its cult reputation. After watching it, I understood its honest meanings, despite all the superficial 'cult' dressings - you did not know whether to laugh out loud or to cry in commiseration, actually).
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 May 2021, 20:04

You are right, that's where he utters the immortal word. Ed Wood, Bela Lugosi, Tor Johnson... auteurist schlockfest.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 May 2021, 20:12

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 12 May 2021, 20:13

BTW: The Black Cat (which he did with Karloff under Edgar G. Ulmer) is a complete masterpiece, unforgettable.

Part of the 'joke' is that this movie had nothing whatsoever to do with Edgar Allan Poe's eponymous short story.

Good, intelligent and none-too-violent horror of old times go well with brilliant short films (as did know James Whale, Georges Franju, and Henri-Georges Clouzot). The directors named were good at depicting our common fears and nightmares to perfect detail (Hitchcock was of the same rank). Nothing, absolutely nothing out of the modern slasher/blood/meat/splatter/death craze of the past 30 years can remotely compare with their material.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 May 2021, 20:19

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:BTW: The Black Cat (which he did with Karloff under Edgar G. Ulmer) is a complete masterpiece, unforgettable.

Part of the 'joke' is that this movie had nothing whatsoever to do with Edgar Allan Poe's eponymous short story.

Good, intelligent and none-too-violent horror of old times go well with brilliant short films (as did know James Whale, Georges Franju, and Henri-Georges Clouzot). The directors named were good at depicting our common fears and nightmares to perfect detail (Hitchcock was of the same rank). Nothing, absolutely nothing out of the modern slasher/blood/meat/splatter/death craze of the past 30 years can remotely compare with their material.

I watched "The Black Cat" around six months ago and really enjoyed it.

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 12 May 2021, 20:37

Flower wrote:
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:BTW: The Black Cat (which he did with Karloff under Edgar G. Ulmer) is a complete masterpiece, unforgettable.

I watched "The Black Cat" around six months ago and really enjoyed it.

@ Flower -

how did you do this? On DVD? I've been trying to locate it at various auction sites, with no results. Nothing on TV. I only can recall its merits via some books and old papers, to be true. But I also recall that I was really thrilled by watching The Black Cat (as it was with The Wicker Man) via a old timey B/W television set (that may will well have weighed at some 30 kilograms).

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 May 2021, 21:02

I found "The Black Cat" on Youtube around 6 or 8 months ago. I just went to look for it again but can't find it. It is still there as a "Buy or Rent" option but we watched it as a video some channel uploaded. It thought that "Pizza Fix" was the channel but I can't seem to find the video right now.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 13 May 2021, 09:13

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman wrote:
I've been trying to locate it at various auction sites, with no results.

There are quite a few listed here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... d&_sacat=0
Give a shit or be a shit.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 May 2021, 12:07

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis