Current Shortages 2021

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Current Shortages 2021

Postby Flower » 12 May 2021, 19:20

Can't find chicken wings, diapers, or a new car? Here's a list of all the shortages hitting the reopening economy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-sup ... per-2021-5

As the US economy increasingly reopens, it is seeing shortages of all sorts of items.

If you've tried to buy (or rent) a car or eat some chicken wings, you've probably noticed.

Insider rounded up some of the major supply shortages and why they're lagging.

I heard about chicken wings, gas and lumber (prices skyrocketing) :(
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

mudshark

Re: Current Shortages 2021

Postby mudshark » 12 May 2021, 19:36

It's scary. This weekend I went to Lowe's to get me a bunch of wooden planks to fix the fences. Up from $1.80 to $3.40 a piece. Apparently prices for chlorine are going to the roof, at least here in the south because of some fire at a big Louisiana factory that produced the stuff. Hope the rise in costs for the wings benefits the chickens.

Soon virtually everything will be a lot more expensive. The global supply chain is royally fucked and I think it's a scam. The big shipping lines have, by reducing capacity, artificially created a shortage in containers and vessel space. As result the sea freight for a container from Shanghai to Los Angeles has gone from US$2,500.00 a year ago to US$10,000.00 now. Soon shoppers at Walmart will think they're at Saks Fifth Ave.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Samoan

Re: Current Availability 2021

Postby Samoan » 12 May 2021, 20:51

Plenty of new cars in central London. My sister-in-law bought an unleaded 5 door VW Up! only a few weeks ago. It is red.
They only had to travel 5 miles to the showroom from their home, also in London and the VW servicing garage is only 1 mile from them.

But then this is the greatest city in the world, according to our newly elected Mayor.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 12 May 2021, 22:58

Maybe next time I visit London I might actually rent a car. I read somewhere traffic's down by 50% or something, so maybe I could actually drive 10 miles in less than an hour. Last time I drove in London was 1996, me, the wife, 4 kids aged between 4 and 8 in a rented Renault Espace It was sheer hell. I remember ending up taking the bus lanes on Oxford Street to get to Selfridges. I figured as a foreigner I'd get away with it if caught.

With 'unleaded car' do you mean a car that doesn't take leaded petrol? Do they still make leaded cars, then?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 May 2021, 02:22

There were no cars in ft lauderdale two weeks ago , my initial rental was canceled (long story) . Lucked out in getting another car but I paid for it plus no shuttle to airport.

Food has gone up and assume it will continue

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 13 May 2021, 06:48

There's an article about this in the current edition of The Economist.
Bugger off.

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 May 2021, 11:46

Rorschach wrote:There's an article about this in the current edition of The Economist.

Good article .. Thanks.

AMERICANS ARE used to getting what they want when they want it. But these days they find themselves in the unfamiliar position of having to wait. Companies from General Motors to Nintendo complain of a shortage of microchips. Prices of lumber and chicken breasts, both in short supply, are soaring; and it is ever more difficult to get hold of a pair of roller skates or a hot tub. Even workers seem to be hard to come by. Firms are struggling to recruit enough staff to fill open positions—perhaps a big reason why the jobs report for April, published on May 7th, showed that America had added just 266,000 jobs, well below the 1m or so that many economists had expected.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 May 2021, 12:05

The biggest shortage I've noticed is the supply of brain cells.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 13 May 2021, 13:03

Last edited by Samoan on 14 May 2021, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 13 May 2021, 23:50

Here in the UK I've had difficulty getting hold of building materials - stores have been out of building sand, cement, concrete fence posts, fence panels.

I think it's unprecedented demand as many people at home during lockdown have been taking on projects to improve homes rather than sheer difficulty of supply due to Brexit.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 14 May 2021, 07:53

John aka Josh wrote:I think it's unprecedented demand as many people at home during lockdown have been taking on projects to improve homes rather than sheer difficulty of supply due to Brexit.

You could well be right but there are big trade issues involved with Brexit in general.

I foolishly bought a phone for my son's 18th birthday from Britain. On arrival I found I had to pay about 25% on top for VAT and handling. And the bureaucracy was a nightmare. I won't be buying from the UK again in a hurry. I imagine there's a similar situation going the other way.
Bugger off.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 May 2021, 11:46

Don't forget about how much that ship stuck in the Suez canal has disrupted supply chains.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 14 May 2021, 14:49

As Min has said elsewhere, we went down to South Padre Island for a long weekend with my mother and brother for Mother's Day. Our car is pretty small and my mother's is only a little bigger, so I had planned to rent an SUV or at least a full sized sedan so we would have more room (it's almost 5 hours from my mother's house to SPI) for ourselves and luggage. It was just over $1000 to rent anything over a compact car for five days. To hell with that.

It seems that the car rental companies shed parts of their fleets to save money during the pandemic and now there isn't enough auto production for them to buy in bulk lots from the car producers, resulting in a shortage in available cars.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Livet
'progressively malty'

Postby Livet » 14 May 2021, 16:01

My 2004 Honda Civic was definitely showing its age. I wanted to buy a new car last summer, but I put it off because of the pandemic. The other week, my sister mentioned the shortage of microchips and car prices going up. So just after my two week post vaccine date, I made an appointment with Honda and bought a new car. I like it, but I have to say these new cars are very complicated!
The crazy music drives you insane

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 May 2021, 16:26

Rorschach wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:I think it's unprecedented demand as many people at home during lockdown have been taking on projects to improve homes rather than sheer difficulty of supply due to Brexit.

You could well be right but there are big trade issues involved with Brexit in general.

I foolishly bought a phone for my son's 18th birthday from Britain. On arrival I found I had to pay about 25% on top for VAT and handling. And the bureaucracy was a nightmare. I won't be buying from the UK again in a hurry. I imagine there's a similar situation going the other way.

That's the reason I can't buy anything from the UK at the moment. Whatever the price, there will be an automatic charge of 34 € added.
British music mags (Uncut, Mojo, etc.) in my local shop went up by 0.50 € only.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod