Now what? The Corona end-game

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
mudshark

Now what? The Corona end-game

Postby mudshark » 21 Apr 2021, 19:09

So in the USA they're well on the way to have every sensible adult vaccinated by the summer. In the UK too and in Europe it will be a few weeks later. I don't know the numbers in Europe but over here it seems that 30% of the people that are 16 and above don't want one, for a variety of reasons. If we can believe the experts we need 85% of the population to be immune in order to create that coveted herd immunity. If that doesn't happen worst-case scenario seems to be that there will be a vaccine-resistant variant and then we can start all over again. Millions and millions will have been spent for sweet-fuck-all. This obviously should be avoided but how to go about it? Should the government make vaccinations compulsory? I think in High Schools and Universities it should. You can't get in without a shot for mumps and measles so it it's not illogical to do the same for COVID. But what about the people that are not in school? Create a new caste of Corona-pariahs? I find it a conundrum. I want this shit over and done with but as long as there are Ted Nugents in the world (and there are millions) this situation has to be faced and somehow dealt with. And that's not even touching on Brazil, India etc. but that's for a different thread. I believe in the airplane rule: when the oxygen masks drop you help yourself first before you help somebody else. What can be done in order to get rid of the virus here so we can concentrate on helping the rest of the world?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Now what? The Corona end-game

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Apr 2021, 19:15

I was an anti-vaxxer for a while there, having read the conspiracy theories. But you have to be practical about it. Even if "they" really wanted to decimate the world population, sooner or later, I would catch the virus, and then I would die for sure.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 21 Apr 2021, 20:07

Just chatted with a good friend who up until a couple of days ago was anti-vaxxing, mostly out of fear of reactions since she's quite allergic to several things (seafood, some fruit....) and has had reactions in the past following injections. Well, she changed her mind and was vaccinated a couple of hours ago. Well done to her.

Going back to the OP, I only have a couple of comments. I think it would be difficult to make vaccines mandatory. Refusing access to this or that (schools for instance) is one thing, but forcing people to get vaccinated for this is unfeasible in most jurisdictions I would think. Then, there's the question of requiring boosters or annual shots or something like that, I actually think that this is a likely outcome, at least for the next decade or so. Just talking through my hat as usual. I have no scientific knowledge on this at all. Just opinions.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Apr 2021, 20:10

My suspicion is that as more and more people are vaccinated, numbers will go way way down and, with the combination of that and continued reasonable precautions, things will soon start to get back to at least the (sorry) 'new normal.'

The idiots will always be out there - measles have made a comeback because of them, but thankfully not at dangerously high levels - but it's inevitable that vaccines will reduce them way faster than lockdown ever could, even with 100% adherence (which of course there will never be).

To some degree I'm betting it'll be with us for a while, it's mostly a matter of how far ahead of the game we stay. Viruses try to replicate, science tries to find a way to slow it down. This is a new battle, and probably here for good. But at least we might be able to get it to somewhat manageable levels. Here's hoping.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 21 Apr 2021, 20:11

mudshark wrote:So in the USA they're well on the way to have every sensible adult vaccinated by the summer. In the UK too and in Europe it will be a few weeks later. I don't know the numbers in Europe but over here it seems that 30% of the people that are 16 and above don't want one, for a variety of reasons. If we can believe the experts we need 85% of the population to be immune in order to create that coveted herd immunity. If that doesn't happen worst-case scenario seems to be that there will be a vaccine-resistant variant and then we can start all over again. Millions and millions will have been spent for sweet-fuck-all. This obviously should be avoided but how to go about it? Should the government make vaccinations compulsory? I think in High Schools and Universities it should. You can't get in without a shot for mumps and measles so it it's not illogical to do the same for COVID. But what about the people that are not in school? Create a new caste of Corona-pariahs? I find it a conundrum. I want this shit over and done with but as long as there are Ted Nugents in the world (and there are millions) this situation has to be faced and somehow dealt with. And that's not even touching on Brazil, India etc. but that's for a different thread. I believe in the airplane rule: when the oxygen masks drop you help yourself first before you help somebody else. What can be done in order to get rid of the virus here so we can concentrate on helping the rest of the world?

:shock:

...first I fainted, then I was brought to the hospital. I had seizures, and was put on lots of valium to calm down.

Why didn't anyone ever tell me this before?

Did he get himself cloned or what? The horror, the horror...
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 Apr 2021, 20:26

If a person doesn't want to take the vaccine for medical reasons then that's perfectly understandable. But I have to respect for people who reject it for political reason. That's just egoistic. And people who don't take it because of this conspiracy theory are just plain stupid. I agree that we're going to need boosters etc. for the the next couple of years. Also think we're going to have to pay for them.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 21 Apr 2021, 20:39

mudshark wrote:If a person doesn't want to take the vaccine for medical reasons then that's perfectly understandable. But I have to respect for people who reject it for political reason. That's just egoistic. And people who don't take it because of this conspiracy theory are just plain stupid. I agree that we're going to need boosters etc. for the the next couple of years. Also think we're going to have to pay for them.

Seriously: I agree.

COVID isn't just a personal, solitary thing. It is also, and even more so, a group thing. If saying 'no' is just a statement (from whatever reason, maybe to enhance one's importance in the world) - that is narcissistic.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 21 Apr 2021, 22:34

Our former president got a shot and he personifies Narcissism. Wonder how that works, then :-).

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 Apr 2021, 22:40

mudshark wrote:Our former president got a shot and he personifies Narcissism. Wonder how that works, then :-).

He can take partial credit - or at least thinks he can - for getting them out so fast.

I think it's evidence that he knows they work, and knows that the anti-vaxxers will soon be grasping at straws once the numbers go down as predicted, and therefore are of no further use to him.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?