Chauvin verdict

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Six String » 21 Apr 2021, 16:26

Dr. Baron wrote:Here are the jury instructions, in case anyone is interested in what the State had to prove and the bare bones law at issue in the trial.

In addition to the elements of the crimes, the State had to prove that his actions as a police officer were not justified as a use of reasonable force in either making a lawful arrest or in preventing an escape from custody.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... 192021.pdf

Thanks for that link. It is hard to imagine any other outcome reading those instructions, watching the video and hearing the testimony of medical experts.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 Apr 2021, 18:07

About time. This is just the first step but happy to see that he is guilty on all three counts.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Apr 2021, 18:07

Deebank wrote:It did seem like the proverbial open and shut case once the pulmonary expert (and others) had stated that the cause of death was asphyxia and totally ruled out any of the other factors the defence had mentioned (fentanyl, meth; carbon monoxide; heart condition; hypertension; and a benign adrenal gland tumour).

I never really understood some of these other causes as a defence, particularly the carbon dioxide one - it is like tying someone to rail tracks and saying the train killed them.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Apr 2021, 19:04

Positive Passion wrote:
Deebank wrote:It did seem like the proverbial open and shut case once the pulmonary expert (and others) had stated that the cause of death was asphyxia and totally ruled out any of the other factors the defence had mentioned (fentanyl, meth; carbon monoxide; heart condition; hypertension; and a benign adrenal gland tumour).

I never really understood some of these other causes as a defence, particularly the carbon dioxide one - it is like tying someone to rail tracks and saying the train killed them.

Exactly. Although it was Carbon Monoxide they were trying to blame - even if the engine wasn’t running!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Apr 2021, 20:04

Deebank wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:

Exactly. Although it was Carbon Monoxide they were trying to blame - even if the engine wasn’t running!

Christ, I have no idea why I wrote dioxide - force of habit is very strong.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 22 Apr 2021, 07:08

Positive Passion wrote:Christ, I have no idea why I wrote dioxide - force of habit is very strong.

If it's any consolation, I didn't even notice.
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Apr 2021, 09:16

Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:Christ, I have no idea why I wrote dioxide - force of habit is very strong.

If it's any consolation, I didn't even notice.

And you call yourself a pedant! I don't know... :roll:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro