Chauvin verdict

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String
Posts: 21745
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Six String » 21 Apr 2021, 16:26

Dr. Baron wrote:Here are the jury instructions, in case anyone is interested in what the State had to prove and the bare bones law at issue in the trial.

In addition to the elements of the crimes, the State had to prove that his actions as a police officer were not justified as a use of reasonable force in either making a lawful arrest or in preventing an escape from custody.

https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... 192021.pdf


Thanks for that link. It is hard to imagine any other outcome reading those instructions, watching the video and hearing the testimony of medical experts.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 3015
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Hightea » 21 Apr 2021, 18:07

About time. This is just the first step but happy to see that he is guilty on all three counts.
Image

Positive Passion
Posts: 1615
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Apr 2021, 18:07

Deebank wrote:It did seem like the proverbial open and shut case once the pulmonary expert (and others) had stated that the cause of death was asphyxia and totally ruled out any of the other factors the defence had mentioned (fentanyl, meth; carbon monoxide; heart condition; hypertension; and a benign adrenal gland tumour).


I never really understood some of these other causes as a defence, particularly the carbon dioxide one - it is like tying someone to rail tracks and saying the train killed them.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24274
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Deebank » 21 Apr 2021, 19:04

Positive Passion wrote:
Deebank wrote:It did seem like the proverbial open and shut case once the pulmonary expert (and others) had stated that the cause of death was asphyxia and totally ruled out any of the other factors the defence had mentioned (fentanyl, meth; carbon monoxide; heart condition; hypertension; and a benign adrenal gland tumour).


I never really understood some of these other causes as a defence, particularly the carbon dioxide one - it is like tying someone to rail tracks and saying the train killed them.


Exactly. Although it was Carbon Monoxide they were trying to blame - even if the engine wasn’t running!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Positive Passion
Posts: 1615
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Positive Passion » 21 Apr 2021, 20:04

Deebank wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
Deebank wrote:It did seem like the proverbial open and shut case once the pulmonary expert (and others) had stated that the cause of death was asphyxia and totally ruled out any of the other factors the defence had mentioned (fentanyl, meth; carbon monoxide; heart condition; hypertension; and a benign adrenal gland tumour).


I never really understood some of these other causes as a defence, particularly the carbon dioxide one - it is like tying someone to rail tracks and saying the train killed them.


Exactly. Although it was Carbon Monoxide they were trying to blame - even if the engine wasn’t running!

Christ, I have no idea why I wrote dioxide - force of habit is very strong.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3090
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Rorschach » 22 Apr 2021, 07:08

Positive Passion wrote:Christ, I have no idea why I wrote dioxide - force of habit is very strong.


If it's any consolation, I didn't even notice.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24274
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Chauvin verdict

Postby Deebank » 22 Apr 2021, 09:16

Rorschach wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:Christ, I have no idea why I wrote dioxide - force of habit is very strong.


If it's any consolation, I didn't even notice.


And you call yourself a pedant! I don't know... :roll:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro