Northern Independence Party

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46097
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Northern Independence Party

Postby The Prof » 12 Apr 2021, 12:31

Image

I'm not sure full independence from England would be desirable! or even feasible but I've been following them with interest on Facebook.
Thelma Waker, who used to be my MP, is standing as a party candidate in the Hartlepool byelection and is sure to take a number of votes from Labour.
A Democratic Socialist Party with a whippet for a logo!
What's not to like? :)

Positive Passion
Posts: 1627
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby Positive Passion » 12 Apr 2021, 12:36

While we are at it, let's have a London Independence Party. Free the international city from its English parochial shackles.

Give us some LIP!

Positive Passion
Posts: 1627
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby Positive Passion » 12 Apr 2021, 12:42

The Prof wrote:Image

I'm not sure full independence from England would be desirable! or even feasible but I've been following them with interest on Facebook.
Thelma Waker, who used to be my MP, is standing as a party candidate in the Hartlepool byelection and is sure to take a number of votes from Labour.
A Democratic Socialist Party with a whippet for a logo!
What's not to like? :)


Presuambly this would really be a stepping stone to union with an independent Scotland. I suspect this is a Jacobean plot.
Or maybe to re-establishing the Danelaw - a Scandiwegian plot.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46097
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby The Prof » 12 Apr 2021, 12:45

Positive Passion wrote:While we are at it, let's have a London Independence Party. Free the international city from its English parochial shackles.

Give us some LIP!


The City of London is already a separate state, isn't it?!

Positive Passion
Posts: 1627
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby Positive Passion » 12 Apr 2021, 13:07

The Prof wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:While we are at it, let's have a London Independence Party. Free the international city from its English parochial shackles.

Give us some LIP!


The City of London is already a separate state, isn't it?!


I suppose northerners might think that.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46097
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby The Prof » 12 Apr 2021, 13:13

The preferred term is "autonomous jurisdiction" isn't it?

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25961
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby souphound » 12 Apr 2021, 14:00

Guess that would make members of that party nippers?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Apr 2021, 14:02

United Kingdom in splinters - what's the world coming to?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44551
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby der Freiherr » 12 Apr 2021, 14:08

GoogaMooga wrote:United Kingdom in splinters - what's the world coming to?


It all started with online banking and bill payment.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Apr 2021, 14:16

Dr. Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:United Kingdom in splinters - what's the world coming to?


It all started with online banking and bill payment.


:lol:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
The Fish
Beer Battered
Posts: 12587
Joined: 24 Oct 2003, 20:04
Location: Hove Actually

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby The Fish » 12 Apr 2021, 16:53

Good things from the north

1. The Smiths
2. Theakston's Old Peculier
3. Yorkshire pudding
4. er.....

Waits for Yorkshire Mafia (Austin Branch) to wade in !
We're way past rhubarb

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3122
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby Rorschach » 12 Apr 2021, 17:01

Pulp
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3122
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby Rorschach » 12 Apr 2021, 17:03

Bob Mortimer and Captain Cook from my neck of the woods.
Bugger off.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25961
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby souphound » 12 Apr 2021, 18:26

Footy, no?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44551
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby der Freiherr » 12 Apr 2021, 18:45

souphound wrote:Footy, no?


From Essex, I believe.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25961
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby souphound » 12 Apr 2021, 19:51

Dr. Baron wrote:
souphound wrote:Footy, no?


From Essex, I believe.


Ha! I was sure he was "up there", somewhere around Whitby or something. Shows how much I know. :oops:
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44551
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby der Freiherr » 12 Apr 2021, 20:01

souphound wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:
souphound wrote:Footy, no?


From Essex, I believe.


Ha! I was sure he was "up there", somewhere around Whitby or something. Shows how much I know. :oops:


Well, I think he lived up there more recently. I only know that factoid because there was some talk about his liner notes from the first jolly ups where he would chronicle his youthful trips into Swinging London from where he was raised (in Essex, I think).
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 596
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby mudshark » 12 Apr 2021, 20:18

I'm reading that the idea is to reinstate Northumbria. That's a big chunk of the current UK, even includes parts of Scotland. I read that the kingdom itself was an amalgamation of 2 states: Bernicia in the North and Deira in the South. It's only a matter of time before before the tribal wars ravage mighty Northumbria once again and then we'll have to leave it to the Vikings to sort things out. It will be interesting to see how this develops, but since their program includes a plan to increase the penalties for sheep rustling, one of the major problems in the area as we all know, I give them the benefit of the doubt.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46097
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby The Prof » 15 Apr 2021, 13:07

A bit of reading matter for tonight.
Their manifesto is out today.

https://www.freethenorth.co.uk/ourfutur ... djCDNR-XZU

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36172
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby yomptepi » 15 Apr 2021, 15:50

The Prof wrote:A bit of reading matter for tonight.
Their manifesto is out today.

https://www.freethenorth.co.uk/ourfutur ... djCDNR-XZU


we don't need an election. Just fucking go already.
You don't like me...do you?