Northern Independence Party

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Northern Independence Party

Postby The Prof » 15 Apr 2021, 15:59

See if you can blame them for the Iraq war & Blair.

In 3 steps - shouldn't be difficult for you.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 15 Apr 2021, 21:57

I just read the foreword and I'm shocked! Is it really that dire in the UK? I have no idea. Northumbrians everywhere, have your say!

Was in Newcastle in the mid-80s and that was grim. That was the time that people bought a round when they'd been diagnosed with mesothelioma because they'd get some money for a pint or 2000. But a friend of mine retired somewhere in county Durham and he mentioned to be a couple a years ago that the place cleaned up really well. From what I know (which is not an awful lot) Sheffield is a fairly well-to-do place with a thriving economy becomes of specialty steel. And York has to be a tourist magnet. Leeds is probably shite but that because of their football team.

I'm really curious to hear from the local Northumbrians.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 16 Apr 2021, 07:32

I haven't been to my home town of Middlesbrough for quite a few years and I doubt I'll ever go there again, but last few times I was there it did seem to have cleaned up a lot. I couldn't understand why as all the industry had gone and everyone was unemployed. My dad said it was due to money from Europe.
Of course, Middlesbrough and the areas around it voted big for Brexit.

My wife is from Sheffield and her mother lives there so, in normal times, we visit at least once a year. It has the virtues that Spain doesn't have: houses with gardens and lots of green spaces, but the town centre seems a bit mournful to me. People who come from there always seem to rave about it though.
Bugger off.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Apr 2021, 08:20

The problem is that everything is centralised to London and the South East, ultimately.

There have been moves to rectify this - the BBC moving a lot of its offices to Salford, and I think the Treasury is looking at a relocation of staff and resources to Darlington. The Free Port situation is already seeing a diversification of traffic from Dover to places like the Humber, but whether that bears any meaningful fruit is difficult to say in the long term.

I hear that Newcastle is very much on the up - mostly because, by all accounts, students who go to the Universities there are showing very high conversion rates of staying there, getting jobs and buying houses (which are cheap). If the transition to long-term home working continues, then more and more people will be moving to places where they have a lot of green space, which, ultimately, is in the north. A friend of mine bought a place in Lancashire with a farm after selling his 3 bed in Wandsworth. The associated money that comes with that will help the economy. It will take time, but if travel infrastructure such as being able to get to London by hi speed train in 2 hours continues to improve and people have far more flexible working conditions such as going in twice a week, then there will be a growing influx of people who live in the South East moving upwards.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 16 Apr 2021, 14:30

Dr. Baron wrote:
souphound wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:
From Essex, I believe.

Ha! I was sure he was "up there", somewhere around Whitby or something. Shows how much I know. :oops:

Well, I think he lived up there more recently. I only know that factoid because there was some talk about his liner notes from the first jolly ups where he would chronicle his youthful trips into Swinging London from where he was raised (in Essex, I think).

He lived in Middlesbrough for the best part of half his life. Moved up here in the 1980s to open his own clothing shop if I'm not mistaken. When his business went bust (I think in the 2000s) he stayed up here. He loved Whitby (about 35 miles away) and would regularly go there for day trips.
Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 16 Apr 2021, 14:42

Johnny Fartpants wrote:
Dr. Baron wrote:
souphound wrote:
Ha! I was sure he was "up there", somewhere around Whitby or something. Shows how much I know. :oops:

Well, I think he lived up there more recently. I only know that factoid because there was some talk about his liner notes from the first jolly ups where he would chronicle his youthful trips into Swinging London from where he was raised (in Essex, I think).

He lived in Middlesbrough for the best part of half his life. Moved up here in the 1980s to open his own clothing shop if I'm not mistaken. When his business went bust (I think in the 2000s) he stayed up here. He loved Whitby (about 35 miles away) and would regularly go there for day trips.

Thanks JF
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.