Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 16:25

Oh, how I miss the good old days, pre-internet, pre-smart phone. The simple life - no hacking, no cyber crime, no passwords, no internet banking. Back when you could get a monthly train pass without a smart phone. Back when we had proper post offices, back when I could go up to a ticket counter at a station and purchase an honest to god train ticket. Back when banks still had till service and good opening hours, back when you could send a check or cash a check. Back when you had giros and international money orders. Back when you had a library card, and you got a plastic carrier bag to lug the books home. Back when winter was winter and summer was summer.

Image
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32290
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Apr 2021, 16:38

Yes, plastic bags turned out to be a big force for good in the end, didn’t they?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40810
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Apr 2021, 16:52

I honestly believe that the vaccine rollout in Canada probably would be going a lot better than it is if the various provincial governments weren't relying on a shitty online booking system to get needles in arms, but I suppose that's what you get when you elect conservatives who believe that any spending that doesn't benefit their business-owning pals is wasted money.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44551
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby der Freiherr » 09 Apr 2021, 17:02

GoogaMooga wrote:Oh, how I miss the good old days, pre-internet, pre-smart phone. The simple life - no hacking, no cyber crime, no passwords, no internet banking. Back when you could get a monthly train pass without a smart phone. Back when we had proper post offices, back when I could go up to a ticket counter at a station and purchase an honest to god train ticket. Back when banks still had till service and good opening hours, back when you could send a check or cash a check. Back when you had giros and international money orders. Back when you had a library card, and you got a plastic carrier bag to lug the books home. Back when winter was winter and summer was summer.


Thoughts and prayers.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 6849
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby robertff » 09 Apr 2021, 17:04

GoogaMooga wrote:Oh, how I miss the good old days, pre-internet, pre-smart phone. The simple life - no hacking, no cyber crime, no passwords, no internet banking. Back when you could get a monthly train pass without a smart phone. Back when we had proper post offices, back when I could go up to a ticket counter at a station and purchase an honest to god train ticket. Back when banks still had till service and good opening hours, back when you could send a check or cash a check. Back when you had giros and international money orders. Back when you had a library card, and you got a plastic carrier bag to lug the books home. Back when winter was winter and summer was summer.

Image




Hindsight is a wonderful thing Googa, especially with rose tinted glasses on but I guess I can appreciate the sentiment. The thing that always gets me is the hundreds of different varieties of certain things like coffee or tea, peanut butter and so on. There is certainly a welcome place for simplicity as far as I am concerned but I guess younger generations might not agree.


.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46097
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby The Prof » 09 Apr 2021, 17:42

I'm sure everyone on Facebook has a local group page, usually set up for sharing old photographs of the area but it's just full of old people moaning constantly.

• Everything was better in the old days
• The streets were all cleaner, there was no litter
• It's full of students now
• It's just Pound shops cos all the department stores have closed
• People had more respect in those days
• All the nice buildings have gone
• This is the worst Council ever
• All the Councillors are taking back handers in brown envelopes

Repeat ad infinitum day after day.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25961
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby souphound » 09 Apr 2021, 19:13

My neighbourhood is being taken over by cyclists. I'm mostly fine with that but, I can't help but notice and hate when these young people go whizzing by with no respect for anyone else on the streets. They have bike paths and all, specialized signalization with right-of-way....but still, some seemingly could care less. I could swear at them endlessly, but then I remember what nonsense I got up to with my bike when I was that age. No better if not worse. So, I mostly keep it to myself.

In my opinion, the "good old days" become just that as you get older. The older you get, the better the olden past seems to have been. Generally.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 596
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby mudshark » 09 Apr 2021, 19:31

I don't know, as I'm not on facebook. Of course the 'everything was better in the old days' mantra has been repeated for generations and so much of it is not true. But I wonder sometimes: have fax, E-mail, smart phone, apps etc. etc. made (working) life better compared to the days of air/sea mail, telex and phones-on-a-wire? I think there are quite a few arguments to make that life was 'better' then. For starters. people had more patience. You just knew it would take hours (telex), days (air mail) or sometimes weeks (sea mail) before you'd receive a response. You'd think twice before you pick up the phone to call somebody in another country or on another continent because it was very expensive. Nowadays there are people who send an E-mail, and immediately thereafter follow up with a phone call, SMS, Whatsapp or all of the above, asking 'did you get my E-mail?' and bitch if they don't have a response within 15 minutes, regardless of the time of day/night. In the old days you could tell your boss you were going on a sales call on a Friday afternoon and instead go to a pub for a few hours goofing off. That's impossible now because switching off your phone is the greatest sin of all. And last but certainly not least: because I didn't have access to 10 million songs at any given time, getting my hands on an LP or CD was a far more gratifying experience then than it is now.
Last edited by mudshark on 09 Apr 2021, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 19:59

Minnie the Minx wrote:Yes, plastic bags turned out to be a big force for good in the end, didn’t they?


Hello again, Minnie. :) Save the whales - I'm all for it. I don't know who it is that is throwing plastic bags overboard from ships, but it certainly isn't me, and I've never met anyone who does that. But, they are out there, and the whales are dying. Maybe the money and effort that goes into enforcing draconian plastic bans would have been better spent on information campaigns, I don't know. But I do know that producing a shopping bag from fabric is a lot more environmentally and C02 unfriendly, so that is not a solution. Research goes into producing bio-degradable plastic substitutes. Perhaps we'll find a better solution than where we are at right now, I don't know. I can only hope.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 20:08

robertff wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing Googa, especially with rose tinted glasses on but I guess I can appreciate the sentiment. The thing that always gets me is the hundreds of different varieties of certain things like coffee or tea, peanut butter and so on. There is certainly a welcome place for simplicity as far as I am concerned but I guess younger generations might not agree.


.


One reason why I don't stream music, there is so much choice, I wouldn't know where to start, but probably I'd just revert to the same old stuff. I am now streaming and still collecting DVD and Blu - never had as much choice as now - but I often find I can't make up my mind and end up watching nothing at all.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 20:08

mudshark wrote:I don't know, as I'm not on facebook. Of course the 'everything was better in the old days' mantra has been repeated for generations and so much of it is not true. But I wonder sometimes: have fax, E-mail, smart phone, apps etc. etc. made (working) life better compared to the days of air/sea mail, telex and phones-on-a-wire? I think there are quite a few arguments to make that life was 'better' then. For starters. people had more patience. You just knew it would take hours (telex), days (air mail) or sometimes weeks (sea mail) before you'd receive a response. You'd think twice before you pick up the phone to call somebody in another country or on another continent because it was very expensive. Nowadays there are people who send an E-mail, and immediately thereafter follow up with a phone call, SMS, Whatsapp or all of the above, asking 'did you get my E-mail?' and bitch if they don't have a response within 15 minutes, regardless of the time of day/night. In the old days you could tell your boss you were going on a sales call on a Friday afternoon and instead go to a pub for a few hours goofing off. That's impossible now because switching off your phone is the greatest sin of all. And last but certainly not least: because I didn't have access to 10 million songs at any given time, getting my hands on an LP or CD was a far more gratifying experience then it is now.


This.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24287
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby Deebank » 09 Apr 2021, 20:36

robertff wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Oh, how I miss the good old days, pre-internet, pre-smart phone. The simple life - no hacking, no cyber crime, no passwords, no internet banking. Back when you could get a monthly train pass without a smart phone. Back when we had proper post offices, back when I could go up to a ticket counter at a station and purchase an honest to god train ticket. Back when banks still had till service and good opening hours, back when you could send a check or cash a check. Back when you had giros and international money orders. Back when you had a library card, and you got a plastic carrier bag to lug the books home. Back when winter was winter and summer was summer.

Image




Hindsight is a wonderful thing Googa, especially with rose tinted glasses on but I guess I can appreciate the sentiment. The thing that always gets me is the hundreds of different varieties of certain things like coffee or tea, peanut butter and so on. There is certainly a welcome place for simplicity as far as I am concerned but I guess younger generations might not agree.


.


So called Freedom Of Choice is one of the more over rated commodities especially in things like education and medicine. I mean why would you need to choose ffs!?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 20:57

Deebank wrote:
So called Freedom Of Choice is one of the more over rated commodities especially in things like education and medicine. I mean why would you need to choose ffs!?


So you think we've got freedom of choice in education? Well, that can be debated, but I am not going down that rabbit hole.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24287
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby Deebank » 09 Apr 2021, 21:12

GoogaMooga wrote:
Deebank wrote:
So called Freedom Of Choice is one of the more over rated commodities especially in things like education and medicine. I mean why would you need to choose ffs!?


So you think we've got freedom of choice in education? Well, that can be debated, but I am not going down that rabbit hole.


In the UK, the idea is that you are supposed to have a choice between different schools - obviously this all depends on where you live and in practice there is often very little actual choice but the idea is absurd anyway.

Competition is supposed to drive up standards. It really doesn't.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 21:41

Deebank wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
Deebank wrote:
So called Freedom Of Choice is one of the more over rated commodities especially in things like education and medicine. I mean why would you need to choose ffs!?


So you think we've got freedom of choice in education? Well, that can be debated, but I am not going down that rabbit hole.


In the UK, the idea is that you are supposed to have a choice between different schools - obviously this all depends on where you live and in practice there is often very little actual choice but the idea is absurd anyway.

Competition is supposed to drive up standards. It really doesn't.


If you are concerned about such trivial things as indoctrination, there is always home schooling, but then your kids don't develop their social skills and end up like me.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46097
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby The Prof » 09 Apr 2021, 23:05

mudshark wrote:I don't know, as I'm not on facebook. Of course the 'everything was better in the old days' mantra has been repeated for generations and so much of it is not true. But I wonder sometimes: have fax, E-mail, smart phone, apps etc. etc. made (working) life better compared to the days of air/sea mail, telex and phones-on-a-wire? I think there are quite a few arguments to make that life was 'better' then. For starters. people had more patience. You just knew it would take hours (telex), days (air mail) or sometimes weeks (sea mail) before you'd receive a response. You'd think twice before you pick up the phone to call somebody in another country or on another continent because it was very expensive. Nowadays there are people who send an E-mail, and immediately thereafter follow up with a phone call, SMS, Whatsapp or all of the above, asking 'did you get my E-mail?' and bitch if they don't have a response within 15 minutes, regardless of the time of day/night. In the old days you could tell your boss you were going on a sales call on a Friday afternoon and instead go to a pub for a few hours goofing off. That's impossible now because switching off your phone is the greatest sin of all. And last but certainly not least: because I didn't have access to 10 million songs at any given time, getting my hands on an LP or CD was a far more gratifying experience then than it is now.


well - I dunno,

Did people have more patience? or did they just accept there was no alternative?

Were prohibitively expensive overseas communications a benefit?

Surely if you get no response to email you just send a few more then accept that the emaile (is that a word) just isn't interested

10 million songs on a pen drive the size of a thimble? Yes please! I've got an attic bedroom full of vinyl and I want rid.... but I can't let go!!

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Apr 2021, 23:16

There's pros and cons to both the past and the present. What I do know is that nobody really knows where this technological race will end, or whether we will remain in control. Personally, I have trouble keeping up, and I am aware of the pitfalls of the present day situation.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 38257
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Apr 2021, 09:57

All the things you mention in your first post (bank, railway ticket, etc.) you had to get out of your house for.
And that's something - your own words - you don't like to do.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27824
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Apr 2021, 10:02

Walk In My Shadow wrote:All the things you mention in your first post (bank, railway ticket, etc.) you had to get out of your house for.
And that's something - your own words - you don't like to do.


True. I suppose I'll get the hang of it, if everyone else has. But as inconvenient as the old days also were, at least they were more failsafe, with regard to hacking and system failure, crashes, and what not. Oh, did I not mention the cashless society? That's the master plan, you know. Beggars, children, and others on the fringe be damned. Lose your card in a cashless society and you are really fucked.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 38257
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: Life was so much easier pre-internet, pre-smart phone

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Apr 2021, 10:09

GoogaMooga wrote: Beggars, children, and others on the fringe be damned. Lose your card in a cashless society and you are really fucked.



You have something there.

Children get their phone and a (limited) debit card far too young. That wasn't the best idea ever.

Others on the fringe? Dealers? They probably have more phones than you can shake a stick at.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image