RIP Phil the Greek

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46091
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby The Prof » 14 Apr 2021, 14:36

Positive Passion wrote:
The Prof wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I read somewhere many years ago, that Prince Charles may be skipped in the line of succession in favor of William when the Queen dies.

Probably wishful thinking by a few letter writers in the Daily Mail.


Probably - it certainly misses the point that any such arrangement would have to sorted out before queen dies, as Chas becomes king upon the instant of her death.
However if I were in Chas's shoes, I would be inclined to be king for a year or two, but not be crowned, and then abdicate in favour of Bill.


I can't see that happening. It's the job Charles has been groomed for (can you say that word in relation to the Windsors?!) since he was born.
It's true that he is nothing like as popular as William but he doesn't have anything to abdicate for.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24279
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Deebank » 14 Apr 2021, 14:41

The Prof wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
The Prof wrote:Probably wishful thinking by a few letter writers in the Daily Mail.


Probably - it certainly misses the point that any such arrangement would have to sorted out before queen dies, as Chas becomes king upon the instant of her death.
However if I were in Chas's shoes, I would be inclined to be king for a year or two, but not be crowned, and then abdicate in favour of Bill.


I can't see that happening. It's the job Charles has been groomed for (can you say that word in relation to the Windsors?!) since he was born.
It's true that he is nothing like as popular as William but he doesn't have anything to abdicate for.


I know fuck all about the royals but it occurs to me that people know too much about CHarles and not enough about William. Once that situation changes people might find that WIlliam is just as much of a cock as his old man.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23884
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby KeithPratt » 14 Apr 2021, 14:44

Any evidence for that or just pure speculation?

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 27798
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Apr 2021, 14:48

Positive Passion wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:. The Danish monarchy is massively popular, even with young people. It may have to do with the fact that it is the oldest and longest-running monarchy, at least in the modern sense of the word, and ties in with our love of the flag and other symbols.


No - it is your Australian princess.


It's true that the Crown Princess is the most popular, but in fact most if not all of our royals are still quite popular. Especially the Queen, who has passed 80 years of age. The Mary hysteria is more pronounced in Australia.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Positive Passion
Posts: 1617
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Positive Passion » 14 Apr 2021, 14:49

The Prof wrote:
Positive Passion wrote:
The Prof wrote:Probably wishful thinking by a few letter writers in the Daily Mail.


Probably - it certainly misses the point that any such arrangement would have to sorted out before queen dies, as Chas becomes king upon the instant of her death.
However if I were in Chas's shoes, I would be inclined to be king for a year or two, but not be crowned, and then abdicate in favour of Bill.


I can't see that happening. It's the job Charles has been groomed for (can you say that word in relation to the Windsors?!) since he was born.
It's true that he is nothing like as popular as William but he doesn't have anything to abdicate for.


Of course not. I said it is what I would do if it were me. A possible factor would be not putting the country to the cost of two coronations within a short period - but then if Chas lives as long as his mum, dad or grandma he could have 20 years on the throne.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24279
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Deebank » 14 Apr 2021, 14:55

KeithPratt wrote:Any evidence for that or just pure speculation?


I used the word 'might' advisedly. But the point stands. He seems like a nice (but dim?) chap but ten or twenty years down the road...?

I was barely born but when Charles was invested as Prince of Wales everyone thought he was great (outside Wales anyway), his stock has declined massively since his youth and who's to say WIlliam isn't on a similar trajectory?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46091
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby The Prof » 14 Apr 2021, 16:58

Deebank wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:Any evidence for that or just pure speculation?


I used the word 'might' advisedly. But the point stands. He seems like a nice (but dim?) chap but ten or twenty years down the road...?

I was barely born but when Charles was invested as Prince of Wales everyone thought he was great (outside Wales anyway), his stock has declined massively since his youth and who's to say WIlliam isn't on a similar trajectory?


I don't see William as being dim, not like his brother anyway, The pair of them had to grow up quite fast in the public eye but he seems to have his head (mostly) screwed on.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 584
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby mudshark » 14 Apr 2021, 17:22

All that monarchy bullshit is a typical case of 'the people want what the people get'. It we create some widespread negative propaganda emphasizing on centuries of mass murder, philandering, adultery, etc. etc. and soon hardly anybody will complain if parliament pulls the plug on the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. And I think that goes for all monarchies with the exception of the Danish one, but that's because Denmark is the most conservative and racist country in Europe. Danes are Nazis on valium, the lot of them.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3095
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Rorschach » 14 Apr 2021, 20:54

mudshark wrote:All that monarchy bullshit is a typical case of 'the people want what the people get'. It we create some widespread negative propaganda emphasizing on centuries of mass murder, philandering, adultery, etc. etc. and soon hardly anybody will complain if parliament pulls the plug on the house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. And I think that goes for all monarchies with the exception of the Danish one, but that's because Denmark is the most conservative and racist country in Europe. Danes are Nazis on valium, the lot of them.


:D
I'd forgotten how much I missed you Eric.
Bugger off.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 584
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby mudshark » 14 Apr 2021, 22:35

The feeling is entirely mutual.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14717
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Rayge » 15 Apr 2021, 13:25

KeithPratt wrote:Things that may appear anachronistic generally have a function of sorts because why else would they exist in the first place?

This is dangerously close to the discredited sociological theory of functionalism, itself essentially tautologous.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23884
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby KeithPratt » 15 Apr 2021, 13:48

Be as it may, the point is that the Monarchy performs a function of sorts, otherwise it would simply evaporate as an anachronism.

That function may, for some, be pointless, but for others it isn't even if it is a nebulous and difficult thing to quantify.

Why is the Royal Family, in an age of meritocracy where the notion of privileged ancestry is antithetical to our political landscape, still broadly popular?

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46091
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby The Prof » 15 Apr 2021, 13:54

Same reason as people watch Coronation Street.

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25950
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby souphound » 15 Apr 2021, 15:13

The Prof wrote:Same reason as people watch Coronation Street.


Because it's there (and seemingly always has been)?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36163
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby yomptepi » 15 Apr 2021, 15:47

Deebank wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:Any evidence for that or just pure speculation?


I used the word 'might' advisedly. But the point stands. He seems like a nice (but dim?) chap but ten or twenty years down the road...?


better known as the Owen Jones school of journalism. If you don't know, make it up. If it doesn't fit your pov. make it up. If you don't have figures. make it up.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69276
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2021, 16:03

KeithPratt wrote:Be as it may, the point is that the Monarchy performs a function of sorts, otherwise it would simply evaporate as an anachronism.


This is broadly equivalent to saying the reason we didn't give women the vote was because, well, there was a reason they've never been given the vote, you know! *taps side of nose*
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24279
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Deebank » 15 Apr 2021, 16:44

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:Any evidence for that or just pure speculation?


I used the word 'might' advisedly. But the point stands. He seems like a nice (but dim?) chap but ten or twenty years down the road...?


better known as the Owen Jones school of journalism. If you don't know, make it up. If it doesn't fit your pov. make it up. If you don't have figures. make it up.


What did I make up exactly?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69276
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Apr 2021, 16:44

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:
I used the word 'might' advisedly. But the point stands. He seems like a nice (but dim?) chap but ten or twenty years down the road...?


better known as the Owen Jones school of journalism. If you don't know, make it up. If it doesn't fit your pov. make it up. If you don't have figures. make it up.


What did I make up exactly?


I'm guessing something Yomp didn't like.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24279
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Insanity filled foxhole

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby Deebank » 15 Apr 2021, 16:57

Diamond Dog wrote:
Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
better known as the Owen Jones school of journalism. If you don't know, make it up. If it doesn't fit your pov. make it up. If you don't have figures. make it up.


What did I make up exactly?


I'm guessing something Yomp didn like.


The irony is That it is Yomp trying to gaslight us here.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36163
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby yomptepi » 15 Apr 2021, 19:54

Deebank wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:
I used the word 'might' advisedly. But the point stands. He seems like a nice (but dim?) chap but ten or twenty years down the road...?


better known as the Owen Jones school of journalism. If you don't know, make it up. If it doesn't fit your pov. make it up. If you don't have figures. make it up.


What did I make up exactly?


well, you said " might " before suggesting something of which you had no proof. Which at the very least is fishing. Just like you used the word " seems " in your statement above. Of course we have come to expect this sort of thing from people like you.You don't actually know anything, but you are always willing to think the worst, if it gets a story.
You don't like me...do you?