RIP Phil the Greek

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: RIP Phil the Greek

Postby souphound » 12 Apr 2021, 18:29

I had more difficulty understanding Andrew's "grandfather of the nation". Really?
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 12 Apr 2021, 18:34

souphound wrote:I had more difficulty understanding Andrew's "grandfather of the nation". Really?

Yes, that is puzzling.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Apr 2021, 20:54

Jimbly wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:He wasn't Greek.

I know.

What was he?

A racist.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 12 Apr 2021, 20:59

Jimbly wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
KeithPratt wrote:He wasn't Greek.

I know.

What was he?

British, I believe. I don't know if that was always what his passport said but I don't think he was ever officially Greek.
As Mudshark pointed out, he was born in Greece and was related closely to the Greek Royal family. I think he was born to title of Prince of Greece and Denmark as well.
But nationality is a bit of an arbitrary notion with people like that. Phil the Greek was just a nickname but rooted in his ancestry.
Bugger off.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 12 Apr 2021, 21:06

Rorschach wrote:Phil the Greek was just a nickname but rooted in his ancestry.

A reference that everyone understood. Even those who are not subjects of the Queen.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Apr 2021, 21:20

Rorschach wrote:
Jimbly wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
I know.

What was he?

British, I believe. I don't know if that was always what his passport said but I don't think he was ever officially Greek.
As Mudshark pointed out, he was born in Greece and was related closely to the Greek Royal family. I think he was born to title of Prince of Greece and Denmark as well.
But nationality is a bit of an arbitrary notion with people like that. Phil the Greek was just a nickname but rooted in his ancestry.

He was born in Corfu, which definitely makes him Greek.

Despite anything Toby says.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 12 Apr 2021, 21:37

Diamond Dog wrote:

Well, technically, your nationality is whatever's written on your passport. My son was born here but his nationality is British.
So, is he British or Spanish? I'd be happy for him to call himself Spanish of that's how he feels, despite him having British nationality. But I don't think anyone can insist that he be considered Spanish just because he was born here. And Louis's been here all his life. The 'nation's grandfather' left Corfu when he was 18 months old.
Bugger off.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Apr 2021, 22:01

Rorschach wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Well, technically, your nationality is whatever's written on your passport. My son was born here but his nationality is British.
So, is he British or Spanish? I'd be happy for him to call himself Spanish of that's how he feels, despite him having British nationality. But I don't think anyone can insist that he be considered Spanish just because he was born here. And Louis's been here all his life. The 'nation's grandfather' left Corfu when he was 18 months old.

He's not called Phil The Greek for nothing, you know!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 12 Apr 2021, 23:03

The USA is probably the only place that claims any newborn that sees the light on their soil.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 Apr 2021, 05:20

I was born in Australia but regard myself as British, though I do have an Australian passport along with a British one.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Apr 2021, 09:40

Philip had not one ounce of Greek blood in him. He was a typical offspring of the mostly German aristocracy that pervaded most of the remaining European Royal Families after WW1.

If we take someone to be Greek as to speak the Greek language, have Greek affectations and culture, then Philip was about as Greek as Emperor Hirohito.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 13 Apr 2021, 10:22

my brother (a toast to him) was born in the panama canal zone.

when we were brats, i used to tease him that he could never be prez of the US.

talk about a different era.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 13 Apr 2021, 10:23

KeithPratt wrote:Philip had not one ounce of Greek blood in him. He was a typical offspring of the mostly German aristocracy that pervaded most of the remaining European Royal Families after WW1.

I always thought he was German too. Hence that elongated surname, Battenberg- Cake-Sax-Coburg or something.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 13 Apr 2021, 12:25

KeithPratt wrote:Philip had not one ounce of Greek blood in him. He was a typical offspring of the mostly German aristocracy that pervaded most of the remaining European Royal Families after WW1.

If we take someone to be Greek as to speak the Greek language, have Greek affectations and culture, then Philip was about as Greek as Emperor Hirohito.

All of which shows the ridiculous notion of "royalty" Someone can be a Greek Prince with no Greek blood at all.

So, question my Dad was born in Scotland. Both of his parents were born in Ireland as were his grandparents. He thought he was Scottish. Was he wrong?
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 13 Apr 2021, 12:33

So the British royal family are German? And what exactly is 'Greek blood'?

KeithPratt wrote:If we take someone to be Greek as to speak the Greek language, have Greek affectations and culture ...

That's just your definition. As Mudshark has pointed out, if you're born in the USA you're American, regardless of how integrated into the local culture you are. If there is a single definition of being Greek, or German or whatever, it's your official nationality. Outside of that, I don't think you get to make up the rules that other people have to follow. Not that I'd seriously call him Greek myself.

And what exactly are 'Greek affectations'? Dressing up in Greek national costume, for example?

KeithPratt wrote: ... then Philip was about as Greek as Emperor Hirohito.

I never heard of Hirohito dressing like this:
Bugger off.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 13 Apr 2021, 12:41

I saw him being referred to a grandfather of the nation on Facebook before Andrew said it. I can’t understand why people crave to be ruled over by an elite.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 13 Apr 2021, 13:14

Hugh wrote:I saw him being referred to a grandfather of the nation on Facebook before Andrew said it. I can’t understand why people crave to be ruled over by an elite.

That's what I really don't get about all this fuss as well. I don't understand why people want to treat this thoroughly ordinary person (Look at the 'tributes'; most of them could have been written about anyone.) as something special because he married into a big-deal royal family. Why do people still want a royal family at all?

It's beyond me.
Bugger off.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 13 Apr 2021, 13:27

It represents an ideal, even if it very often is anything but in actual reality.

You have to ask why countries such as Sweden, Holland and Denmark, which are eminent bastions of rationalism and liberal thought, also have constitutional monarchies like the UK.

They have them because they represent an element of tradition, which is very often an invisible glue that sticks our institutions together, and contrast that with modernity, which is the political side. They also have them because, deep down, they work as a construct.

The Royal Family represents and symbolises history to a certain extent - centuries of tradition also represents stability too.

However, the popularity of the Monarchy resides with the people. The Queen is universally popular, which is why it endures. That may change with Charles, who is nowhere near as liked. If the UK population showed that a majority of people didn't want a Monarchy anymore, then why on earth would it endure?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 13 Apr 2021, 13:48

KeithPratt wrote:It represents an ideal, even if it very often is anything but in actual reality.

You have to ask why countries such as Sweden, Holland and Denmark, which are eminent bastions of rationalism and liberal thought, also have constitutional monarchies like the UK.

They have them because they represent an element of tradition, which is very often an invisible glue that sticks our institutions together, and contrast that with modernity, which is the political side. They also have them because, deep down, they work as a construct.

The Royal Family represents and symbolises history to a certain extent - centuries of tradition also represents stability too.

However, the popularity of the Monarchy resides with the people. The Queen is universally popular, which is why it endures. That may change with Charles, who is nowhere near as liked. If the UK population showed that a majority of people didn't want a Monarchy anymore, then why on earth would it endure?

Define "universally".
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Apr 2021, 15:22

Samoan wrote:

I always thought he was German too. Hence that elongated surname, Battenberg- Cake-Sax-Coburg or something.

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg was his family name at birth (which of course is just another 'German' name). He became a Mountbatten in 1947.