Your dream car

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Your dream car

Postby Jimbo » 06 Apr 2021, 21:34

I always rolled my eyes at anyone driving a "jeep" kind of vehicle in the middle of Tokyo, but now I want one. The 2021 Suzuki Jimny.
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. - Mahatma Gandhi

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Re: Your dream car

Postby der Freiherr » 07 Apr 2021, 03:51

Well I reckon it would be a late 60s/early 70s Cadillac (probably early 70s, right before they turned boxy)---I don't know if it's the Fleetwood or a limo model, but four doors for sure in a sort of sparkly midnight blue. With gangster tint, naturally. Also, I would like an early 70s (72 or 73) Ford pickup truck, in blue (though red would be fine).

I really like cars but it's not something I think about a lot. I have no mechanical skills and have never been a car dude. But if I were really rich, I'd like to have a few different old ones if I could have someone to maintain them.

But it's the real world, so being eco warriors of not unlimited means, my wife and I share a 2016 Prius.
Last edited by der Freiherr on 07 Apr 2021, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2021, 05:53

I can't drive.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Apr 2021, 06:53

GoogaMooga wrote:I can't drive.

Don't you notice cool cars as you perambulate about? I often wish I had the money - or half the money - some guy spent on that Mercedes or Lexus SUV. But I do notice how wonderfully designed, how pleasing to the eye so many cars are. And so comfortable for the passengers. Rolling sofas! I like to watch Tesla videos and dream of feeling that awesome pick up. And in dreams is about as close as I'll ever get to a Tesla accelerator.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Apr 2021, 07:10

Also, I appreciate the optimism it takes for companies to annually manufacture (and all that entails) and then put up for sale in an incredibly competitive market new vehicles - I mean, if these car geniuses don't see the end of the world is nigh then why should I?

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 07 Apr 2021, 07:11

I'd love a classic Ford Thunderbird or Corvette Stingray; I'm sure it's just coincidence that they each share the name of a beloved Gerry Anderson puppet show of my childhood.

But I guess my dream car would be an E-Type Jag.

Bugger off.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Apr 2021, 07:19

Rorschach wrote:I'd love a classic Ford Thunderbird or Corvette Stingray; I'm sure it's just coincidence that they each share the name of a beloved Gerry Anderson puppet show of my childhood.

But I guess my dream car would be an E-Type Jag.

I'm really not a car person but even I can appreciate the beauty of the E-Type.

I have only ever driven round in crappy second hand cars for work use that last a few years before being scrapped. I'd just love to have something half decent and the best cars I ever drive are the hire cars when I go abroad. I don't really fixate on any particular dream car.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2021, 07:26

Jimbo, I suppose I like 1950s cars, the way I like most things from that decade: fashion, music, films, comics, architecture, etc., but I know fuck all about cars, don't hardly know what a clutch is.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Apr 2021, 07:27

I'd love a classic Ford Thunderbird or Corvette Stingray; I'm sure it's just coincidence that they each share the name of a beloved Gerry Anderson puppet show of my childhood

Then this should be your dream car!

Last edited by Jimbo on 07 Apr 2021, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Apr 2021, 07:27

There was this American catch phrase in the 1980s, I think it referred to John DeLorean - "Would you buy a used car from that man?"

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Apr 2021, 07:33

GoogaMooga wrote:There was this American catch phrase in the 1980s, I think it referred to John DeLorean - "Would you buy a used car from that man?"

But the DeLorean was a pretty cool car! And it took guts - and a lot of cocaine - to get it into an already crowded car market.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 07 Apr 2021, 09:43

trans-chigley express wrote:

I have only ever driven round in crappy second hand cars for work use that last a few years before being scrapped. I'd just love to have something half decent and the best cars I ever drive are the hire cars when I go abroad. I don't really fixate on any particular dream car.

I'm more or less the same. I've owned a couple of crappy old jalopies but haven't had a car at all for ten years. Hire cars always amaze me by all their features and how well they work, though I can never find the switch for the lights.

But I can appreciate the look of some classic cars.
Bugger off.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 07 Apr 2021, 11:08

Rorschach wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:

I'm more or less the same. I've owned a couple of crappy old jalopies but haven't had a car at all for ten years. Hire cars always amaze me by all their features and how well they work, though I can never find the switch for the lights.

But I can appreciate the look of some classic cars.

I love classic cars, and spent a large part of my childhood helping my dad with his vintage cars. However I am wise to the pitfalls. They have no power steering, almost no breaks, and almost unthinkably these days, they break down. They rust, and when they go wrong , if you cannot fix it yourself, they cost a fortune and take an age to get fixed. I love how they look, and I am delighted that there are people who have the temperament to dedicate their lives to keeping them going. However, I do not want one. Life really is too short for all that nonsense.
You don't like me...do you?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 07 Apr 2021, 12:01

yomptepi wrote:almost unthinkably these days, they break down.

I remember asking my dad if a new car in the 40s was as reliable as a new car now (the 70s). All the old ones I had had (a 53 Pontiac, 63 Mercury Comet) broke down a lot and brakes were always iffy. Down-shifting was my friend. Plus, in the old movies cars were always back firing and getting flats. Dad said a new car then was as reliable as a new car now. Started and went as it was supposed to. And now, looking at old city scenes on the internet, cars were running, man. We had the internal combustion engine down.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 07 Apr 2021, 12:09

In London, I would like a mini with double doors at the back.
I wouldn't mind a mazda MX5.
But if we move to the US, assuming we are not living in Manhattan, I would get a biggish comfortable car.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 07 Apr 2021, 12:46

A Woodie for sure. Someone 5 or 6 roads away owns one which he keeps parked on the street. I got chatting to a neighbour of his as I was admiring it and apparently it earns it's keep appearing in TV and movie shoots. He keeps it beautifully maintained.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Flower

Postby Flower » 07 Apr 2021, 12:48

This will do ...

If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 Apr 2021, 21:57

Samoan wrote:A Woodie for sure. Someone 5 or 6 roads away owns one which he keeps parked on the street. I got chatting to a neighbour of his as I was admiring it and apparently it earns it's keep appearing in TV and movie shoots. He keeps it beautifully maintained.

A girlfriend of mine had one exactly the same as that - colour and everything

We used to enjoy 'getting close' in the back of that....!

Deebank wrote:My mrs blotted her copybook because she remarked that Cope looked like Matthew Kelly in Nazi drag.

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Apr 2021, 02:24

I’ve never been that much of a car person but when I was in my 20s I really liked the looks of the Mercedes 450SL (early 70s model). Back around the turn of this century I bought a 1960 Vauxhall Super Victor from my in-laws neighbor in Phoenix. It was in pretty good shape and I drove it for several years. It turned a lot of heads in town as it looks like a sawed off 56 Chevy with the torpedo headlights and fins. As Yomp mentioned, the upkeep becomes more complicated and expensive as parts supply dries up. Oil filters went from $25 to $50 by the time I decided to sell it. Since I am not a mechanic it was going to be a money drain at some point so it made sense to sell it. So I sold it to the manager at my mechanic’s shop. No regrets.
It was fun while it lasted.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 20 Apr 2021, 12:51

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.