A pachyderm's survival guide to forum stuff

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: A pachyderm's survival guide to forum stuff

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 22:00

toomanyhatz wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:BCB is so hostile...

With all due respect (being poked with a stick is never fun, regardless of where it happens), where else have you been? This place is nothing.

GoogaMooga wrote:What drives people to snipe, I'll never know. Maybe I am just naive.

You are not naïve. And you know exactly what drives people to snipe. If it wasn't their version of fun, they wouldn't do it.

My advice to you or anyone is the same as it is, was, and always will be. Go outside for air, come back, and you'll hopefully notice how profoundly unimportant it is in the grand scheme of things.

Well, thank you for the advice, I agree with some of what you say, at least. I think where I have been naïve is in thinking that just beause I don't feel the need to snipe, others will think the same way. There are many things I don't understand about people, why don't they all collect CDs, for instance. Some people live without music, that would be like not breathing for me.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 19 Apr 2021, 22:35

Just don't expect people to share your taste (which is absolutely the worst ever in the history of the whole world)

And don't start threads asking people to do something without making it clear what the fuck they have to do!
bingleton

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 22:44

Artgar wrote:Just don't expect people to share your taste (which is absolutely the worst ever in the history of the whole world)

And don't start threads asking people to do something without making it clear what the fuck they have to do!

No, I've got the most catholic taste ever in the history of the whole world, there is a clear difference. You know very well that I cover even most of your own favorites. But among music fans, you are king hater. No one else comes even close, unless they are classical snobs.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Artgar

Postby Artgar » 19 Apr 2021, 23:19

GoogaMooga wrote:
Artgar wrote:Just don't expect people to share your taste (which is absolutely the worst ever in the history of the whole world)

No, I've got the most catholic taste ever in the history of the whole world, there is a clear difference. You know very well that I cover even most of your own favorites.

Beefheart? VU? Can? Stooges? Roxy? Doors? Fall? erm...not as far as I remember, no.

And what you'd call 'catholic', I'd call 'non-discerning'. You like any old shite. We've seen the lists :)

GoogaMooga wrote:But among music fans, you are king hater.

Not true, not even close.

But keep on kidding yourself if it makes you feel better.
bingleton

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Apr 2021, 23:46

Artgar wrote:
Beefheart? VU? Can? Stooges? Roxy? Doors? Fall? erm...not as far as I remember, no.

And what you'd call 'catholic', I'd call 'non-discerning'. You like any old shite. We've seen the lists :)

GoogaMooga wrote:But among music fans, you are king hater.

Not true, not even close.

But keep on kidding yourself if it makes you feel better.

Beefheart - I've got the complete run, incl. the box set, which I got for my 40th.
Stooges - I've got the run.
Roxy - had the run, but I am now upgrading with the remasters
Can - only two, but I am getting there.

Doors - only one song. Jim Morrison is an embarrassment, he should have stayed in film school.
Fall - just one, to see what all the fuss is about.

As for the thrift shop scores, yes, I was indiscriminate. Which is why I have culled upwards of 2,000 CD's since my last of those lists.

As for you being king hater, heard any music pre-Beatles lately?

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 20 Apr 2021, 15:21

GoogaMooga wrote:
jimboo wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:BCB is so hostile... I don't know that my threads are any more inane than so many others. At least I post a great variety, hit or miss. If you guys really prefer a dormant Yakety Yak or all prog, I'll gladly rein in, or even jump ship. Seems that those who complain the most about my threads are the very same who don't start any threads themselves.

It really isn't hostile googs. I think some of us would come across better in the flesh so to speak. Let's be honest here, you do post a lot of utter shite.
It will be endearing, accepted or annoying. That is just how it goes. You cannot complain that you receive some flak for this or that variety is the spice of life which is a moot point at best. How much other people post has nothing to do with their right to complain either. You won't jump ship as sure as I would play Steely Dan . You won't rein it in either so don't bother saying it.
Accept criticism and respond without throwing your toys out of the pram and blaming johnny coan for everything when he is rarely here. Just realise that sometimes people will not be on board with you. You should and will post away , good on ya. Remember though that if someone takes the piss or your threads don't get much response it is ok and no ones fault.
Interesting that you didn't address the issue of taking your own advice.

I have taken my own advice for a long time, probably to my own detriment. I account for 25% of YY, but I am sure people are waiting in the wings to fill the gap. I think I'll just do what you and so many others do, jimboo - lurk and drop a line now and again. What drives people to snipe, I'll never know. Maybe I am just naive.

Oh googs , trolls then hostilities and now snipers. I dunno , seems I have been lurking for fifteen years although I took a break when the board started to be full of SPATSERS !
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Apr 2021, 12:48

GoogaMooga wrote:

No, I've got the most catholic taste ever in the history of the whole world, there is a clear difference. You know very well that I cover even most of your own favorites. But among music fans, you are king hater. No one else comes even close, unless they are classical snobs.

It's true.
I don't know what he's got against slap bass.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Apr 2021, 05:55

The Modernist wrote:It's true.
I don't know what he's got against slap bass.

For those of you who don't know, Moddie is referring to my very first post on BCB, which was indeed about slapback bass. I wonder if Coan was on my case from the git go, or whether he struck a few posts in? Whatever may be the case, he is still at it, all these years later. A very persistent fellow, Coan. Very persistent and very sick a heart.