Baseball 2021

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Baseball 2021

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Mar 2021, 18:44

Dwindling interest in such things here, I realize, but the few that are engaged have more reason to do so than ever, considering it looks like it's going to be a full season, and there's some new game conditions (mostly stupid, imo) that have been applied as a result of Covid.

Plus, the Dodgers biggest rival is suddenly the Padres. Just wondering if Jumper K is as much of a fan now that they're no longer such underdogs. They might even be the second (or maybe third) best team now. The NL West is suddenly the division to watch (along with the continued dominance of the AL east, of course - will be interesting to see if the Rays can keep their 'low budget' success going).
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2021?

mudshark

Re: Baseball 2021

Postby mudshark » 25 Mar 2021, 20:01

It will be great to watch a bit of baseball again, even though its a foregone conclusion that the Dodgers will repeat. On paper it seems only they, Padres, Yankees, White Sox and perhaps Twins have better rosters than last year. Anyway: Play Ball! Please.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Mar 2021, 21:38

I would LOVE to see a Dodgers/White Sox World Series (repeat of 62 - yes 62! years ago). I'm sick of the dang Yankees, even a decade+ on from their last appearance.

Twins/Dodgers (replay of '65) would be nice too. I was actually alive for the last one.
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 26 Mar 2021, 09:48

Even more of a fan now Dave! My eternal hope may have some solid foundations and my team are the most downright entertaining to watch. I still think we fall short this season but I’m ALL in for 22. Hoping to get to some games next year. I’m literally awash with Friars gear. Just got my Tatis Jr jersey for the summer to go along with my Tony, Rollie and AGon wear.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 26 Mar 2021, 09:49

Does anyone collect cards anymore? I just have a few of my favourite Padres.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 26 Mar 2021, 10:41

Many years ago I fell in love with baseball after reading The Great American Novel by Philip Roth.
When I finally got to visit the States I got tickets and went to see the Yankees. God, it was boring. It seems that I like the idea and the highlights more than the real thing.
Still, I'd love it if you kept a thread going on the season.
Bugger off.

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Mar 2021, 12:37

My dream World Series is .. the New York Mets v the Toronto Blue Jays .. :)

https://www.oddsshark.com/mlb/world-series-odds
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 26 Mar 2021, 13:34

I'm still a little conflicted about what to do with my Astro-Fandom this year. Last year I took the year off, but it almost feels like . . . cheating since it was such a weird season. I've decided not to abandon them entirely . . . then what would I do? I go back and forth about it. I am annoyed they have apparently displeased Carlos Correa, who appears ready to embrace free agency. So maybe that says something about where I'm at.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 26 Mar 2021, 15:05

toomanyhatz wrote: I'm sick of the dang Yankees, even a decade+ on from their last appearance.

:lol: Same feeling I've got about the bloody Dodgers this year.
Anyone but the Dodger's or Astros will be my mantra this year. You can always throw the red sox in there too.

Not sure I'm happy with this years Yankee team, they are sort of stuck with a bunch of players that are good but IMO lack the emotion and dynamics to win the World Series. Also just too many guys who are always injured, strike out and their lineup is all righty. I'm liking their pitchers but lets see if they stay healthy. Still I'll be watching mostly with the sound off and the tunes playing.

In regards to the game - part of me feel its ruined - the shift, strike outs and too many relievers. The game became even more boring.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 26 Mar 2021, 17:23

It's OK to like the Astros this year, Baron. They're harmless enough in what's probably the weakest division in the AL. I think we're going to have some fun with our offense but there's simply not enough talent on the pitching staff. We've still got our company season tickets (section 114) so I'll be seeing plenty of games. I have to figure out how it's going to work with the restricted seating early on in the season. I'm sure that even season ticket holders cannot just attend every game because of the limited capacity (1/3, I think I read somewhere).

Rorschach mentioned he thought baseball was boring. I think so too sometimes, but that's half the fun of it for me. It's very relaxing to sit in the sun in a half-full baseball park watching an insignificant game on a Wednesday afternoon and not caring who wins. Hope we can keep a baseball thread going this season.
Last edited by mudshark on 26 Mar 2021, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 26 Mar 2021, 18:57

mudshark wrote:It's OK to like the Astros this year, Baron. They're harmless enough in what's probably the weakest division in the AL.

I'm still kinda pissed.

Which is funny because I don't pass judgment on all manner of heinous criminal activity and forgive almost reflexively.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Mar 2021, 19:00

Embrace the Texas League (though I guess it's not called that anymore :cry: ).

I find I get more and more into Minor League ball as time goes on. Great deal, less separation between fans in the stands and action on the field, and a chance to see other parts of the country that I might not otherwise explore.

Planning on trying again to see a game in Fresno in May once single-game tickets go on sale (last attempt two years ago ended in their first rainout in three years, and we know what happened last year). I will likely be fully vaxxed by then and I'm sure they'll still be at somewhat reduced capacity.
Footy wrote:

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 26 Mar 2021, 19:03

toomanyhatz wrote:Embrace the Texas League (though I guess it's not called that anymore :cry: ).

Yeah, I've always been partial to the San Antonio Missions. I don't like how often the affiliation changes, though. It seemed like they were a Dodgers farm club for eons (which may not actually be true).

EDIT: I just looked it up, they're affiliated with the Padres now. That's cool. I can get with that.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Mar 2021, 19:27

MLB is really fucking with MiLB these days - their autonomy keeps shrinking and, like you say, affiliations keep changing. Still, paying $15 for the best seat in the house will pretty much always beat paying $50 or more for the worst, even if the level of play isn't as good.
Footy wrote:

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Mar 2021, 19:44

Rorschach wrote:When I finally got to visit the States I got tickets and went to see the Yankees. God, it was boring. It seems that I like the idea and the highlights more than the real thing.

mudshark wrote:Rorschach mentioned I thought baseball was boring. I think so too sometimes, but that's half the fun of it for me. It's very relaxing to sit in the sun in a half-full baseball park watching an insignificant game on a Wednesday afternoon and not caring who wins.

I was a huge Montreal Expos fan for years and years and went to lots of games, especially when I was 10-14. The games cost nothing to attend (I remember paying 50 cents to get in to the bleachers!). We went in bunches and had a heck of a time. As I got older, the game indeed seemed to get more boring (to me). I enjoyed my visits far less. There was the move from cozy little Jarry Park (which was right beside my grandparents' house) to vacuous Olympic Stadium (the only thing that place is apt for is demolition).

I started enjoying the games more on tv than in person. Hockey games were a different experience. One thing on tv, as you got close and personal to the action, with the addition of instant replays and zooms. In person, you had a much greater feeling for the whole of the game which offered lots more stuff that was usually off-camera.

Back to baseball, I also used to like listening to games on the radio whenever I could. I think it is one of the only sports that is well suited for that medium.

Back to the 'Spos, I'm a total homer. Once they moved, I lost all interest. Not even the only Canadian team left can get me to care or watch.

For further reference, back when I played, I was a decent 3rd baseman and 1st baseman. Too slow for the outfield, not agile enough for shortstop/2nd base, an OK relief pitcher (I had a wicked curve ball) and as a catcher, foggettaboutit. As a hitter, I sucked. The baseball would just disappear when it got to about 15 feet from the plate. I found out years later that I don't actually see in 3 dimensions the usual way. Anything that moves quickly close to me vanishes. Most annoying.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 26 Mar 2021, 21:50

It's good y'all mentioned the minor leagues. It's a way to experience the game on a completely different level. I enjoyed it a lot.
Just in case it's not clear: originally I'm from The Netherlands. Back in the 70's I played baseball for 2 clubs in Rotterdam: Euro Stars and later Sparta. I even played for the under-18 Dutch national team. Holland & Italy are the kings of Europe when it comes to baseball. No other country comes close. It's big in Holland because of the Caribbean colonies (Dutch Antilles: Curacao, Aruba, Bonaire, St. Maarten, Saba and St. Eustasius). As you know there are several Dutch players active in the MLB, and most of them originate from the islands. But even though the Dutch are a pretty good baseball country, the games are poorly attended, which is great! Every time I go back I try to catch a couple of games. You can't get closer to top baseball than that. It beats attending any MLB game by a 465' homerun. I live in Tomball TX. Near us there's a baseball academy called Texas Prospects. You can find me there nearly every Thursday summer evening, sometimes accompanied by my wife but more often only by my cool box. So if anybody's near and fancies a cold one during a game of baseball attended by perhaps 50 souls, come along.

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Mar 2021, 22:04

The River Cats play in a nice park across the river. They are either the farm team for the Giants or the A’s. They have gone back and forth a few times so I can’t remember which is true today. I’ve only been to a few games but it’s a good enough baseball experience for me. I enjoy the playoffs for the majors but otherwise don’t watch baseball on tv.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 27 Mar 2021, 02:39

souphound wrote:
Rorschach wrote:When I finally got to visit the States I got tickets and went to see the Yankees. God, it was boring. It seems that I like the idea and the highlights more than the real thing.

mudshark wrote:Rorschach mentioned I thought baseball was boring. I think so too sometimes, but that's half the fun of it for me. It's very relaxing to sit in the sun in a half-full baseball park watching an insignificant game on a Wednesday afternoon and not caring who wins.

I was a huge Montreal Expos fan for years and years and went to lots of games, especially when I was 10-14. The games cost nothing to attend (I remember paying 50 cents to get in to the bleachers!). We went in bunches and had a heck of a time. As I got older, the game indeed seemed to get more boring (to me). I enjoyed my visits far less. There was the move from cozy little Jarry Park (which was right beside my grandparents' house) to vacuous Olympic Stadium (the only thing that place is apt for is demolition).

I started enjoying the games more on tv than in person.

Baseball is weird for me I went to Yankee stadium at age 4 but it was for a New York Football Giants game. A few years later I went to my first Yankee game. Spent a lot of my early teen summer weeknights watching the games with the sound off and music playing. Can't really do that with the other sports. Still do it today. I agree its a boring game but because its a sport so its unpredictable.

Agree on the cheap I gave up NY Giants season tickets because the price was crazy. In 89 I moved to the Bronx the Yankees were awful and I was unemployed. I would go to the stadium and get a seat in the bleaches for $5. The guys at the booth were nice too sometimes they would give you a better seat although I think they were told to spread out the tickets for TV.

As for future live games I'm not going this year maybe after that. I had my nice run was living in the Bronx from 96-02 and had a friend who was knew a scalper. Went to every playoff (first home game) from 96 thru 99. It wouldn't get better than that.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Mar 2021, 21:42

Just hopping on for a second, but I thought you guys might appreciate this. It's a photo of young Hank Aaron before he joined his first negro league team. The NY Times Sunday magazine has a great article on the negro leagues yesterday..

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 30 Mar 2021, 01:24

Thank you sir. It's things like the Negro League and not being allowed to give somebody water while standing in line that prevents me from changing my green card into a US passport. This country is as wonderful as it's mightily fucked up.