No votes
3. FOOTY
57%

Total votes: 7

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

IKEA v MUJI

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 15:54

Who will come out tops in this BATTLE OF THE FOUR LETTERED STORES?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Re: IKEA v MUJI

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 17:02

Haven't been to IKEA in a few decades, so, no longer can judge/evaluate.

Never heard of MUJI, so, ditto.

Thanks god for the Footy option. Always a winner.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 17:11

souphound wrote:Never heard of MUJI

:shock:

I thought you were Canadian, not from the year 1342!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Mar 2021, 17:45

IKEA is more useful, and I've only ever gone to MUJI for clothes (they had some great linen shirts a couple of years ago that I stocked up on). I can't imagine what kind of clothes IKEA would sell if they did and I have no desire to assemble my own underwear.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 22 Mar 2021, 17:51

I like Muji, but a trip to IKEA is one of the all-time great experiences of any kind.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Mar 2021, 18:08

Positive Passion wrote:. . . a trip to IKEA is one of the all-time great experiences of any kind.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
:cry: :cry: :cry:
:x :x :x
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 22 Mar 2021, 18:14

Minnie the Minx wrote:
souphound wrote:Never heard of MUJI

:shock:

I thought you were Canadian, not from the year 1342!

Looks like they're only in and around Toronto and Vancouver, not my neck of the woods (Montréal). Of course, there's the online store, but I don't shop online, for anything.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Mar 2021, 18:52

Muji has the exotic thrill of Japan behind it. However, beyond some pencils, a few boxes and other bits there's not much else. If you are an L in size forget about the clothes.

Whatever you think of IKEA you never go there and but nothing.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Mar 2021, 19:18

I voted IKEA. I have never been to IKEA and not left without feeling really happy with what I have, even if it's a bag of pickled mushroom crisps. I understand that this is how it sucks one in, but it's a Kool Aid I am happy to drink. I'm particularly fond of all the vaguely folk art print shit they have going on at the moment in their furnishings, and I bought an owl night lamp that has made me so happy I keep plugging it in, even though it isn't night time!

I agree with KP re: it's mainly a Japanese WHSmith. You can only own so many very thin pens, and the packaging is an environmental disaster. They do play nice in store music, though.
Like Harv, I have bought clothes from there, though with different results. I bought a dress that was shaped like an upside down ice cream cone, and I looked like badgers fighting in a windmill.

Dr Markus wrote:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Mar 2021, 20:24

IKEA have the most bizarre pricing I've ever seen. You can walk around, see something nice, pick it up and find it's only £15. Next door you'll see something that looks like it's been constructed incorrectly (and fucking useless anyway) and it will be £230. There really is no sense to their pricing structure whatsoever.

I love IKEA.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 22 Mar 2021, 20:38

I thought when Muji shut their store in Leeds they'd all shut down. But no - they have 8 stores in the UK. Seven in London.
I'll stick with Flying Tiger to get shaving kits in a matchbox and origami books.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Mar 2021, 20:39

Minnie the Minx wrote:I voted IKEA. I have never been to IKEA and not left without feeling really happy with what I have, even if it's a bag of pickled mushroom crisps. I understand that this is how it sucks one in, but it's a Kool Aid I am happy to drink. I'm particularly fond of all the vaguely folk art print shit they have going on at the moment in their furnishings, and I bought an owl night lamp that has made me so happy I keep plugging it in, even though it isn't night time!

I couldn't possibly comment.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String

Postby Six String » 22 Mar 2021, 20:48

Dr. Baron wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:I voted IKEA. I have never been to IKEA and not left without feeling really happy with what I have, even if it's a bag of pickled mushroom crisps. I understand that this is how it sucks one in, but it's a Kool Aid I am happy to drink. I'm particularly fond of all the vaguely folk art print shit they have going on at the moment in their furnishings, and I bought an owl night lamp that has made me so happy I keep plugging it in, even though it isn't night time!

I couldn't possibly comment.

Not even the upside down ice cream cone dress?
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 25 Mar 2021, 22:30

Well, Footy won this at a canter!

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Mar 2021, 03:35

A classic ending
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Mar 2021, 09:47

There used to be a Muji section inside the now long-gone department store in Brighton (Hanningtons). We bought a few bits and bobs from it back in the day: little sets of 2 drawers exactly the right side for mini discs; our first tiny portable folding stools for Glastonbury; and I bought a Muji 'no label' white shirt for work. I had to get the largest size which had a smallish torso with massive neck and long gibbon arms - Sumo?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Return to “Nextdoorland”