The greatest fictional detective...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

Re: The greatest fictional detective...

Postby Rayge » 26 Feb 2021, 23:14

Mick Belker or John Munch
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Feb 2021, 23:16

Lord Rother wrote:Columbo was great but they were so so formulaic.

Fair enough - but it was a dynamite formula, and a unique one (for its time, at least).

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 26 Feb 2021, 23:16

Darkness_Fish wrote:Got to be Rebus for me, but not on TV. Solves crimes by hanging around Edinburgh bars, drinking with unsavoury types. Sounds like the perfect job.

No-one from Homicide: Life on the Streets?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Feb 2021, 23:25

Charlie O. wrote:

Fair enough - but it was a dynamite formula, and a unique one (for its time, at least).

Right on Chas

Did you know he lost his eye when he was three years old?

A rare form of cancer I recall

The other thing that made Columbo so special for me were the guest stars the 'murderers':

Honor Blackman, Robert Culp, Anne Baxter, Leonard Nimoy, Janet Leigh, Tyne Daly, Faye Dunaway, William Shatner, Patrick McGoohan, Jack Cassidy, Roddy McDowall, Donald Pleasence, Johnny Cash and Billy Connolly come immediately to mind.

Great stuff!

Deebank wrote:My mrs blotted her copybook because she remarked that Cope looked like Matthew Kelly in Nazi drag.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 26 Feb 2021, 23:44

A few weeks ago there was a Colombo binge-a-thon on Sundance. We got out the '70s snacks, put on our lava lamps and had a thoroughly enjoyable 2 evenings. It's wonderful entertainment. The best of those detective series of the 70's, for me. They don't make 'em like that any more. Nowadays I stick to UK murder mysteries. Midsummer murders, Lewis, etc. I like the pace. It's not seldom I have to watch an episode twice because I fall asleep halfway. Fantastic.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Feb 2021, 23:45

C wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:the habitual request for a cup of coffee which is brought to him. [Columbo]

Don't forget the boiled egg and disposing of the shell...

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Nice detail.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 26 Feb 2021, 23:49

Harry Bosch
Dave Robicheaux
Lincoln Rhyme

On TV, Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes.

With you on Harry Bosch and Dave Robicheaux, suspect you meant V.I. Warshawski when you wrote Lincoln Rhyme (I've gone off him - perhaps too many were written).

Rebus & Banks (book only) are also highly favoured.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Feb 2021, 23:52

One police procedural that I found very realistic in my childhood was "Tatort", the longest-running German drama series (since 1970). Cult in Germany, it had quite a following in Denmark in the 70s, but I don't believe it is shown here anymore.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Feb 2021, 00:12

C wrote:The other thing that made Columbo so special for me were the guest stars the 'murderers':

Honor Blackman, Robert Culp, Anne Baxter, Leonard Nimoy, Janet Leigh, Tyne Daly, Faye Dunaway, William Shatner, Patrick McGoohan, Jack Cassidy, Roddy McDowall, Donald Pleasence, Johnny Cash and Billy Connolly come immediately to mind.

Great stuff!

..and Ray Milland!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Feb 2021, 01:14

Belle Lettre wrote:
C wrote:The other thing that made Columbo so special for me were the guest stars the 'murderers':

Great stuff!

..and Ray Milland!

Lee Grant, Ruth Gordon, John Cassavetes, Laurence Harvey, Theodore Bikel, Louis Jourdan, George Wendt...

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 27 Feb 2021, 02:43

Lord Rother wrote:On TV, Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes.

love that, too.

when it comes to books, all the holmes stories were my first love. and agatha christie. (wayyy back, when i used to teach fiction surveys, i'd have time for maybe four novels and a whole slew of short stories... yer sposed to show em a range, and i would always throw in a mystery, like "witness for the prosecution". a well-constructed thang. or faulkner's "a rose for emily" for the whole how-to-scramble-a-narrative-for-primary-twilight-zone-effect.)

but thinking on it now, i went binge on certain mystery writers. p.d. james... yeah, dick francis (my ma's fault)... even cadfael. wait... can we count eco's the name of the rose? i loved that book.

my sister is much more up on mystery TV. although we did recently indulge on the old margaret rutherford miss marple movies.

we make miss marple faces at each other.

we are just not well.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 27 Feb 2021, 05:58

I amnot ckaiming these are as grest as some of the others, but I have fond memories of watching Cannon, Ironside and Petrocelli when I was young.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 27 Feb 2021, 06:00

Dr. Baron wrote:I wonder whether there is a meaningful distinction to be made for the purposes of this thread between a detective (who is a cop) and a private detective (who is not a cop). Maybe it doesn’t matter, but I think of them differently.

And also the lawyer who solves the crime? Perry Mason and Petrocelli?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 27 Feb 2021, 08:19

TV - Frank Drebin
Book - Bernie Gunther
Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth. - Mahatma Gandhi

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Feb 2021, 13:44

Arkady Renko - Martin Cruz Smith

Richard Jury ~ Martha Grimes
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Feb 2021, 14:02

John aka Josh wrote:

Harry Bosch
Dave Robicheaux
Lincoln Rhyme

On TV, Cumberbatch’s Sherlock Holmes.

With you on Harry Bosch and Dave Robicheaux, suspect you meant V.I. Warshawski when you wrote Lincoln Rhyme (I've gone off him - perhaps too many were written).

Rebus & Banks (book only) are also highly favoured.

Harry Bosch .. I've only read A Darkness More Than Night which was more about Terry McCaleb.
Dave Robicheaux .. I used to love Dave, his love of nature, Batiste, Clete and justice. I'm, burnt out on his knowing EVERYONE in Louisiana, his wives misfortunes, women lusting after him. That being said, I'll still read every new book from James Lee Burke.
Lincoln Rhyme - I "found" The Kill Room at a lending library and really enjoyed it. Starting The Bone Collector now.
V.I. Warshawski - I loved the series until the last half dozen books or so but will continue to read them as they come out. Mr. C should be way over 100 by now, Mitch and Peppy are the oldest dogs on the planet. :)
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

C
Robust

Postby C » 27 Feb 2021, 17:12

Belle Lettre wrote:

Great stuff!

..and Ray Milland!

Yes Carol - I realised after I posted that I left off Ray [I decided not to go back and amend because I was hoping somebody would add some more!]

A great episode with the greenhouse!

That's also one of the episodes with his young and very keen assistant Sergeant Frederic Wilson - the one who bought a night camera out of his own money in another episode!

Deebank wrote:My mrs blotted her copybook because she remarked that Cope looked like Matthew Kelly in Nazi drag.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 27 Feb 2021, 19:19

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Phillip Marlowe or Sam Spade.
The Big Sleep in particular is a great book and an even better film.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 27 Feb 2021, 22:49

I started reading detective stories at a very young age and for a long time I preferred the books over TV because of the depth books could get in to. The first TV-detective I liked was Jeremy Brett's Sherlock Holmes in the early 80s. That series set me off in devouring the books in both Dutch and English and it was Conan Doyle that gave me the impetus to read English fiction in that language...I started borrowing books regularly from the English section when I was 13, 14 years old.

TV became more important late on and I did love a whole lot of detective shows. Loved cop shows like Hill Street Blues and Homicide Life On The Streets a lot.
Columbo was a favourite too although at times the idiosyncrasies of the good lieutenant would drive me nuts (especially after he got the dog). I also preferred the whodunit-version, where the murderer was revealed at the end.

The Dutch didn't have a great traditional range of detective series- there was only Grijpstra & de Gier in the 70s and later on, the rather regular series of Baantjer which was derived from a long series of novels situated around an inspector at the Amsterdam police station at the Warmoesstraat. We did get a long line of imports, especially the German Krimis, like Tatort (of which diverse line-ups of detectives Schimanski was by far my favourite) Derrick, Der Alte, SOKO, Ein Fall Fur Zwei, Der Fahnder and many others were broadcast every week.

So, as far as my favourite detectives go, Schimanski was the best- highly strung and incredibly fallible but shrewd and direct.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 27 Feb 2021, 23:19

I suppose Van der Valk isn't really Dutch :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.