Covid Jabs....?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Will I be the first BCBer to get their covid jab....?

Postby Rorschach » 29 Apr 2021, 09:31

Livet wrote:Tomorrow marks two weeks since my second jab. I have my first hair cut appointment in over a year!

Hightea wrote:Got my second jab today. SO far all good.

Yay! Very happy for you both.
Bugger off.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 03 May 2021, 01:06

Without having the data on hand from the other vaccine lanes today I can’t say with any certainty but the vast majority of people who came to get vaccinated today were people from outside the Austin area (so different, outlying counties) and it was their first shot. Pleasing to see uptake from the outskirts.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 21 May 2021, 19:53

I had my second Pfizer jab earlier from a doctor in Hawaiian scrubs, the pattern they all wore today, who was the spitting image of the blonde, bespectacled medic played by Ed Begley from the US TV show, St. Elsewhere who used to run around the hospital in Hawaiian shirts. I was a bit taken aback at first.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 16 Jul 2021, 14:11

I'm sure nobody with half a brain cell needs confirmation or missives from the front line of medical care to know what's going on in hospitals, but I don't know how many BCBers have close connections with healthcare workers, specifically those working in critical care, acute medical care, respiratory medicine etc. That's my background and this week I've been catching up with old colleagues in the thick of it- respiratory physicians, nurses, physios etc. Currently, the ICU (at my old place) is filling up with patients in their 20s, 30s and 40s. The majority of these are unvaccinated, or are only half vaccinated. These people are very, very, very sick. Some of them were "waiting to see if they would need a jab," a small amount of them were against vaccination. These tales are being told by the people now off ventilators, obviously, a lot of them are in it for the long haul, some have gone to step down beds as they've been incapacitated and are needing round the clock supportive care. Of those that have survived and can talk, all of them without exception are utterly astonished at how sick they have been and every single one of them, to the letter, are full of regret at not taking the chance to be vaccinated.

Of the breakthrough cases (people who got infected despite being fully vaccinated) - only one of these people have gone to ICU and this was through non-Covid conditions that needed management while they were in hospital. One of these people who is actually an old colleague who has a few comorbidities said she knew she would be in ICU if she hadn't been vaccinated- and even so she has spent nine days in hospital.

Here in the US, where it is unbelievably easy to get vaccinated, I've run out of the spirit of gentle encouragement for people who decide not to do it. To be honest, I didn't have a lot of that spirit in the first place, but I know that you don't get people to get vaccinated by assuming they are stupid and telling them so. Their actions don't just affect them of course- they are walking petri dishes for variants, their decisions prolonging and worsening mankind's biggest challenge in decades. In my personal circle here I know a couple of people who have decided not to get vaccinated, and I couldn't give a rats arse if I never see them again. Let someone else have "the conversation" with them - I am done.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 16 Jul 2021, 14:39

I think I totally understand.

As far as trying to convince people to get jabbed, I'm in a similar boat. It is (almost) entirely a personal choice. OK. But have you considered the possible ultra-negative consequences of your choice? Have you thought about how YOU affect others around you? (How can you sit there and accept that YOU made somebody close as sick as can be when you could have done something, SOMETHING! Of course, you can still pass the virus onwards if you are vaccinated, but with herd immunity, the probabilities and seriousness of effects are lessened, yes?)

But I keep it to myself, mostly. Especially if I know that the person is aware of all of this. Ultimately not my call. My wish, not my call.

I know a few people who were definitely against getting it, mostly out of the fear of needles and the non-belief of benefits offered. Most of them have changed their minds over the last few months, mostly because a) they saw that everybody else was bloody doing it and for the common good and b) mostly because not doing so may bring some restrictions against traveling or seeing close relatives/loved ones in a semi-normal way. Most of them. Some still stand by their position. I am not visiting them in hospital, not that I could of course.

Oh, and as far as people who work in the field, I have tremendous respect. Over the past year, I have spent an inordinate amount of time in hospital due to something unrelated. I personally saw how affected the "staff" can be. Let's not forget those working with "regular" cases other than Covid-19. Their burden increased in many ways. All were affected in one way or another. Every single one of them soldiered through. Bravo and thanks to them. I personally owe them a lot and I will never forget it. Trust me.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Six String

Postby Six String » 16 Jul 2021, 22:08

My 86YO mother is still resistant. I suspect it is her Fox News sources and her bible thumping friends influencing her. I decided I would not pressure her as she has always allowed me to live my life as I see fit, even though her choice in this matter does effect others. She is a mask wearer and at her age doesn’t really go out much so if she wants to live that way, fine. It will be hard to feel bad if she ends up in hospital though. I know that sounds bad but it’s so unnecessary, something Rebecca would label optional suffering.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 17 Jul 2021, 14:27

Six String wrote:My 86YO mother is still resistant. I suspect it is her Fox News sources and her bible thumping friends influencing her. I decided I would not pressure her as she has always allowed me to live my life as I see fit, even though her choice in this matter does effect others. She is a mask wearer and at her age doesn’t really go out much so if she wants to live that way, fine. It will be hard to feel bad if she ends up in hospital though. I know that sounds bad but it’s so unnecessary, something Rebecca would label optional suffering.

Oh no Les. Not your lovely mum :(

Dr Markus wrote:

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 17 Jul 2021, 14:29

The liberal media tells me that Fox has been cranking up the vaccine skepticism over the past months. If that’s where you get your news …
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 25 Jul 2021, 15:04

So I got vaccinated with J&J last March. Looks like I'll need a booster in the winter and that I still have to be careful because it doesn't give that much protection against the Delta-variant. I have a 5-year old granddaughter living with me and I don't want to pass the virus on to her. So we're still doing the mask thing wherever possible/necessary. But that's not really where this message is about. I spent the last 6 weeks in The Netherlands. First of all: traveling is very stressful and having to wear a mask pretty much non-stop for about 15 hours is extremely uncomfortable. But the worst was that I felt very ill at ease while in Rotterdam. In Texas you've got huge stores and lots of space (it helps that I live in a small town called Tomball on a 6-acre ranch). Over there a supermarket is crowded once there are 30 people inside. Sidewalks are narrow so there's a lot of proximity. I felt a sense of paranoia, I think. So I hardly ventured out (visits to office, supermarket, liquor store, that was pretty much it 80% of the time), avoided public transport and got the hell out of there as soon as I could responsibly do so, cutting short my trip by about 3 weeks. I don't envy the people in cities and towns where keeping a safe distance is virtually impossible.Around July 1st the Dutch government announced the country was going back to normal. Some 10 days later there were on average about 8,000 daily infections. Around July 14th the place went into a partial lock-down again. This thing seems to spread like a virus! I'm so glad to be home.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Six String

Postby Six String » 25 Jul 2021, 16:43

I can see where the closeness would make one nervous/concerned. I have gone back to wearing a mask when going indoors which is basically shopping for food. There hasn’t been any other indoor activities tempting to me although there is a live show in a barn out in the country next Saturday that I want to attend. I’ll have my mask with me and might be using it. I’ve never been to this venue so I don’t know how open it is but it is a barn so we’ll see. There are pockets of the city/county that are less vaccinated than others so with increasing cases amongst the unvaccinated it’s kind of a crapshoot. I use my common sense and the fact that I am vaccinated to guide me.
The future is not what it used to be?
Mickey Newbury

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jul 2021, 09:03

My son recently turned 18 and Spain just opened up that age group for vaccination.
Unfortunately the system is way overloaded and it's extremely hard to get an appointment. My wife literally tried at least 200 times before she finally got him an appointment in a city 100 km away. Here's hoping the manage to do the second one a bit closer to home.
Bugger off.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Jul 2021, 14:09

That's dreadful.

Here, I have entered a lottery offered by the province to reward those already vaccinated and more importantly, to help convince a few youngsters to get vaccinated. I REALLY don't like this approach (free beer, free food, lotteries.....) but hey, if someone's going to win anything it might as well be me. If I win though, I'll pass on whatever it is I win to a worthy organization.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jul 2021, 15:37

souphound wrote: I'll pass on whatever it is I win to a worthy organization.

Just out of curiosity, what would be a worthy organisation to receive the free beer?
Bugger off.

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 26 Jul 2021, 16:33

:lol: :lol:

I was just listing different offers from different places. Here, they are offering cash prizes for adults and scholarships for youngsters.

For what it's worth, there will be 4 lots of $150,000 and one of $1,000,000. Another $400,000 is split up for the scholarships for the 12 to 17 yr olds.

No beer or poutines here I'm happy to say.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 10 Aug 2021, 18:17

My baseball team of choice, the Houston Astros, announced on FB that they are sponsoring vaccinations at the game and giving free tickets to people who take advantage of the opportunity, and the responses are overwhelmingly negative and paranoid. I’ve never been someone who felt the need to stay away from social media or the news, but it’s beginning to really wear on me. This place is insane.
Last edited by der Freiherr on 10 Aug 2021, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 Aug 2021, 19:02

Abbott is as bad as that asshole in Florida. Politicizing the use of masks in schools... With what can this be compared? I have no idea, but I think it's plain evil. What a bunch of nutcases. And half the voters supports these cunts. Both are planning a presidential run (well, for Abbott a presidential).What is this place coming to? My wife, daughters and granddaughter are at Seaworld in San Antone today. It's not that busy, luckily. Masks are required in indoor places. They texted me that there are numerous altercations between staff and people in "Don't Thread On Me" T-shirts who are claiming the right to try infect others. My youngest goes back to school next week and there's not a bone in her body that thinks of not wearing a mask. It's just common sense.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 10 Aug 2021, 19:13

mudshark wrote:Abbott is as bad as that asshole in Florida. Politicizing the use of masks in schools... With what can this be compared? I have no idea, but I think it's plain evil. What a bunch of nutcases. And half the voters supports these cunts. Both are planning a presidential run (well, for Abbott a presidential).

It is extraordinary. He has to do the nuttiest shit possible so he doesn’t lose a primary challenge from his right. I understand that in principle but at some point, you have to be willing to lose for doing the right thing.

In a sane world, when an entire political party is single handedly responsible for the repeated, catastrophic failure of the electrical grid, they would pay for it with their jobs, across the board. But we don’t live in a sane world. I’m so over it all.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 10 Aug 2021, 19:29

Funny you mention the grid: Today I'm getting my Victory solar panels installed. I fear prices will double soon. Somebody will have to pay for the 'winterizing' and whatnot, and of course those somebodies are ordinary Texans. No mas!

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 12 Aug 2021, 21:27

Some Austin restaurants/ cinemas / bars / shows are asking for vaccination cards or negative tests to get entry - as of today. Greg Abbott is gonna explode :D

Dr Markus wrote:

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 13 Aug 2021, 13:36

That's a win-win situation, then!