4%

Total votes: 53

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Ban Jimbo?

Postby Rorschach » 15 Mar 2021, 07:16

C wrote:
I am against Jimbo being banned.

So, that's C and Googs (who barely ever post in Nexdoorland) and Flower (who mostly just posts in a constant loop of otherwise dead threads) against banning Jimbo.

On the other hand we have:
Geezee,
Toomanyhatz,
Harvey,
Kath,
Jimboo,
Samoan
and I
(who all post here regularly) openly in favour of banning.
I get the impression DD would be in favour, though I haven't noticed him directly announcing that, and maybe Sam Stone and the Mission would come back if Jimbo were gone. They have both expressed a desire that he be banned.

There are also credible reports that other posters would post here more if Jimbo were banned.

I don't see any indication that the poll results have been skewed by the use of aliases.
Bugger off.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 15 Mar 2021, 14:02

Following a PM conversation with Tym, I feel a bit uncomfortable banning Jimbo outright, so as a provisional temporary measure I've set up a new section for the board for his nonsense. Jimboland is at the bottom. Hopefully everything will remain there for those that want to engage.
A fair compromise?
Happy to move any other threads there too. (did anyone say pictures of cats?)

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 15 Mar 2021, 14:31

Objectively I don't deserve this. My thread is one thread the title of which explains what goes in the thread. I don't shit on any other thread. And as far as bringing activity to a dying board, on no other thread in the history of BCB have I seen such numbers. Those clicks represent guests who, if given more interesting topics might join and up the chatter. Are you killing a golden goose? Basically, you don't like what I am putting down but you don't want to debate because my points are too strong - usually backed up with links - and you are, I guess, too weak to admit you are wrong. This move is typical of today's cancel culture where censorship and ear-plugging is what all the kids are doing. Lalalala can't hear you! Sad.
Question authority.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Mar 2021, 14:45

You have your thread, it's not been deleted or edited and anyone that wants to engage with you has an extra click to make. I'm sorry but the weight of feeling was that you should be banned. Would you prefer that?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 15 Mar 2021, 15:00

That all seems fair to me.
Well done Prof.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Mar 2021, 15:19

Thanks! :)

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Mar 2021, 15:29

The Prof wrote:Following a PM conversation with Tym, I feel a bit uncomfortable banning Jimbo outright, so as a provisional temporary measure I've set up a new section for the board for his nonsense. Jimboland is at the bottom. Hopefully everything will remain there for those that want to engage.
A fair compromise?
Happy to move any other threads there too. (did anyone say pictures of cats?)

Unless that means he can't post anywhere else, it's pointless.

He'll just continue as now. He's already had a thread for conspiracies which he steadfastly refused to use because there was no one else on there to troll.

Either ban the cunt (even if only as a temporary measure) or let him post as now. Any other measure is totally pointless.

And for the record, I think I may have been the first one to suggest banning him. He brings no good to this place at all, and hasn't done for years.

And if the will of the people on here is so strongly in favour of banning him, we should do so. Just as it would be if it was me - the difference being, I wouldn't exactly lose sleep over it, whereas he will. A lot.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Mar 2021, 16:01

For clarity - I'm not in any way criticising The Prof. I know his hands are tied and it's not ultimately his decision.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 15 Mar 2021, 16:12

It's a compromise Pete. It can be temporary and it's going to please everybody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 15 Mar 2021, 16:26

I like the idea of "Jimboland" because I think it's a suitably weird solution to a weird problem. Here's the weirdness of the problem (as I see it)
Jimbo asked the Question "Ban Jimbo?" by starting the thread and gave the first answer to his own question in the thread:

Jimbo wrote:I say no. Jimbo is a font of amusement and enlightening alternative information. And he's about the only one who starts any threads here. Do you see how many views his corona virus thread gets? A lot more than there are BCB members. Actual outsiders are checking us out! And what he wrote about Kath I think was pretty funny and apt considering what she had said first. So no. :D

so, he seems pretty confident that he won't be banned doesn't he? But that's not enough. He goes on to say that the reason Jimbo (HIMSELF) shouldn't be banned is because his threads are really enlightening and popular and he said a funny thing to kath.

well, I can only speak for myself. I didn't for a minute expect Jimbo to get banned but i don't think his threads are enlightening and I didn't think what he said to Kath was funny. yeah, his threads are active but he seems to imply that fresh new eyeballs visit the forum for the purpose of reading his threads. I see no evidence of this. even if they do-if they don't speak up, what difference does it make? I voted "Ban Jimbo" to stick it to Jimbo because I think Jimbo started the thread to stroke himself.

so, I didn't ever expect him to get banned I just wanted to Vote against Jimbo. I think Jimboland seems like as good a solution as any. Jimbo can enjoy all the new people who will supposedly be flocking to his wonderful posts and winning sense of humor and anybody who is tired of that crap will hopefully find it easier to avoid.

P.S. Jimbo did add to the "word association thread" lately so I am obliged. I do see the old sense of humor flair up from time to time. I hope that light hasn't gone out entirely. I know these are weird fuckin' times and we are all coping as best we can in our own way. I had a lot of good will stored up for Jimbo but I think it's all used up. I voted against Jimbo because I liked him better when he was way nicer. IMO the poll was stacked so I cheated. it seemed like the right choice at the time. I think "Jimboland" seems like the right choice for now.
Last edited by Sneelock on 16 Mar 2021, 01:27, edited 4 times in total.
uggy poopy doody.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 15 Mar 2021, 18:54

Jimbo wrote:Objectively I don't deserve this. My thread is one thread the title of which explains what goes in the thread. I don't shit on any other thread. And as far as bringing activity to a dying board, on no other thread in the history of BCB have I seen such numbers. Those clicks represent guests who, if given more interesting topics might join and up the chatter. Are you killing a golden goose? Basically, you don't like what I am putting down but you don't want to debate because my points are too strong - usually backed up with links - and you are, I guess, too weak to admit you are wrong. This move is typical of today's cancel culture where censorship and ear-plugging is what all the kids are doing. Lalalala can't hear you! Sad.

Fake stats, fake news and blaming a conspiracy is at the root of it all. Come on Jimmy, where did you get that Taliban hat you were wearing? While doing something for the government I bet.
Your mask is slipping.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 15 Mar 2021, 23:49

As usual, Jimbo is taking some rather huge shortcuts through the facts.

Don't shit on any other thread? Uh...he's certainly tried. To his 'credit' (I guess) he has laid off the other Covid threads, but he had to be reminded to do so more than once.

Clicks? As Rayge already explained in the 'lurker' thread, there are many reasons why that happens. People (those that are not bots, which accounts for most of them) lurking but not posting could be because they're shy or feel outnumbered here, but it could also just as easily be they were looking for an intelligent discussion about Covid and realized that there wasn't one to be had here. I'll add that posting memes constantly raises the numbers too because people doing an image search will be brought to where those specific images are being posted in addition to where they originated.

But this is the kicker:

Basically, you don't like what I am putting down but you don't want to debate because my points are too strong - usually backed up with links - and you are, I guess, too weak to admit you are wrong.

Really now.

Just speaking for myself (but I know others here have said the same) I would LOVE to debate. Took me a while to realize he's not capable of it. As I said really early on, an immunity to facts. He's said so several times. "This makes the point that..." err, no it doesn't. And your reading comprehension is not my responsibility.

Again, I've said several times there are valid points made in some of what's been posted there - worthy of debate. Lockdown too severe? Hey, plenty of people a lot more sane/intelligent than Jimbo have said so. Not one of them repeated the same unrelated points from the same sources over and over and over. A meme is not an argument. A tagline ('Covid is horseshit') is not an argument. Not one of them has said the cure for Covid is to take two aspirin and lie down and it'll pass either. That is an incorrect (and potentially dangerous) argument to make, and would have been cause for immediate banning on pretty much any board that has more active moderators than this one does.

Bottom line for me is, this is a music board. It is not a conspiracy board. Those are available for those who want them. I don't even know what Jimbo's doing here any more - he hasn't posted about music for years.

And I'm already seeing more posting by people who've been kept away by his nonsense. Hopefully more will arrive.

Straight up trade, Jimbo for Rorschach, Geezee, and maybe (in due time) others coming back to the fold? Is there really anyone here who wouldn't make that trade?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

souphound
World Class Ignoramus

Postby souphound » 16 Mar 2021, 15:42

Bang on, Hatz.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 16 Mar 2021, 16:22

Give it 6 months and 'Jimboland' will be the most popular section of the board :P

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 16 Mar 2021, 23:19

I haven't been around but trying to get back into it. I remember these types of threads from way back when, when we were still on Mojo (The name John Coan comes to mind). I'm not sure how exactly it all went but believe Slider and I ended up being elected mediators with the election promise that we'd do fuck all. On that premise: I voted against. Nobody needs to be banned, ever. Simply avoid those who piss you off and it will all come out in the wash. And who doesnt like a little bit of Alex Jones every once in a while? With the emphasis on 'a little bit'.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 17 Mar 2021, 03:03

The Prof wrote:Give it 6 months and 'Jimboland' will be the most popular section of the board :P

YEAH! :D
Question authority.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Mar 2021, 07:15

No from me...

I consider Jimbo a (rather sad) court jester and find it easy to avoid him.

Jimboland? Why not!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Mar 2021, 08:21

toomanyhatz wrote: memes

I didn't know what they were Dave so looked it up.

Interesting. Thanks

The term meme (from the Greek mimema, meaning “imitated”) was introduced in 1976 by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in his work The Selfish Gene

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 18 Mar 2021, 08:42

C wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote: memes

I didn't know what they were Dave so looked it up.

Interesting. Thanks

The term meme (from the Greek mimema, meaning “imitated”) was introduced in 1976 by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in his work The Selfish Gene

That's the original meaning but its more common meaning nowadays is an image or video that is forwarded many times on the Internet. Not quite what Dawkins had in mind, but you can see where it came from.
Bugger off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Mar 2021, 13:44

Incidentally for those talking about new members, apparently it's no longer possible to join the board..? Not sure why or when this was done.

Return to “Nextdoorland”