Corona kind of Life.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24394
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Deebank » 26 Sep 2021, 10:38

this made me chuckle:

Image
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 17346
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Neige » 27 Sep 2021, 12:35

Current situation in my neck of the woods: My vax certificate allows me to attend 3-G* indoor events unmasked, which is nice.

* stands for "geimpft, getestet, genesen" (vaccinated, tested [in the last 48 hours] or recovered).

Meanwhile, the number of sceptics, critics or vocal to hysterical opponents remains very high and the percentage of fully vaccinated people is stalling around 55%.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 26483
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby souphound » 27 Sep 2021, 16:59

On te vaccination front, I must say we're doing quite well over here. In Montreal, we're at about 82% with one dose and 75% with two. For the province as a whole, those numbers are a bit lower of course, being at about 79%/73%.

Still, the government has had to pass a law outlawing anti-vaxx demonstations outside of schools, hospitals and the likes. Anti-vaxxer demonstrations plying their trade in front of and targeting little kids FOR F*XX SAKES! :x

I fully respect for dissenting opinions to have the right to be heard, but there are ways to do this. Leave the kids and hospital workers out of this please.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 14032
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Sneelock » 27 Sep 2021, 20:45

it's rougher for me now socially than at any time since TRUMP first got elected. I know the smell of burning bridges and I'm afraid I might be gagging on it. I mean, I hope not. I'm a people person.

it's easy to tell who the anti-vaxxers are because it's all they want to talk about.
there's no reasoning with them so the things you want to say to TRY to reason with them just back up and you get frustrated and tempers flare and I hate it. It seems like it's getting worse instead of better.
uggy poopy doody.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32710
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 28 Sep 2021, 16:08

Deebank wrote:this made me chuckle:

Image


:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 22534
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Six String » 16 Oct 2021, 19:42

I went to a concert last night in an old theater that seats about 1,000 people. There were probably 900 people in attendance and I noticed quite a few without masks including people sitting next to me to the left and in the row in front of me. The acoustic bass was a bit boomy sounding so we moved from our second row seats near the p.a. to the upper section to escape that issue which was slightly improved and there we had empty rows around us so felt a little better in that way too. Our county still requires masks indoors so not sure why so many didn’t wear them other than covid fatigue and/or beligerence. Hard to know but it would be near impossible to enforce with a crowd that size outside of a general announcement. That kind of seals it for me for going to any significant sized venue until things improve a little. Wearing a mask for 2.5 hrs is no fun but at least it was a sit down, non dancing event.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 26483
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby souphound » 17 Oct 2021, 02:24

Six String wrote:Our county still requires masks indoors so not sure why so many didn’t wear them other than covid fatigue and/or beligerence.


Same going on here especially with the newly started hockey season. Thousands and thousands, nary a mask. Scary.

In large crowds especially, there has to be a lot of "See? They're not wearing masks! Why should I?" going on. On top of everything else
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 22534
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Six String » 17 Oct 2021, 17:14

souphound wrote:
Six String wrote:Our county still requires masks indoors so not sure why so many didn’t wear them other than covid fatigue and/or beligerence.


Same going on here especially with the newly started hockey season. Thousands and thousands, nary a mask. Scary.

In large crowds especially, there has to be a lot of "See? They're not wearing masks! Why should I?" going on. On top of everything else


At the only other indoor show I’ve been to, proof of vaccination and a mask was required. The room could seat 150 or so but there were only thirty people and we all naturally spaced ourselves apart. A couple came in after the lights went down and the music started and they were not wearing masks. The singer made a comment after the first song about how everyone was keeping us safe by wearing masks, etc. without pointing out the couple and it worked. They produced masks and wore them the entire time. They were the only people not following the rules so they really stood out, especially since they were sitting on the front row!
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3644
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Rorschach » 18 Oct 2021, 13:24

Sneelock wrote:it's rougher for me now socially than at any time since TRUMP first got elected. I know the smell of burning bridges and I'm afraid I might be gagging on it. I mean, I hope not. I'm a people person.

it's easy to tell who the anti-vaxxers are because it's all they want to talk about.
there's no reasoning with them so the things you want to say to TRY to reason with them just back up and you get frustrated and tempers flare and I hate it. It seems like it's getting worse instead of better.


I feel for you.
Here in Spain there's very little of that kind of crap going on. Pretty well everyone I know is careful and everyone wears a mask in shops, offices, etc.
However, I have heard that a couple of friends are anti-vaxers and I'm awfully glad I very rarely see them. In fact, I hope I never see them again.
Bugger off.

Positive Passion
Posts: 1909
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Oct 2021, 13:54

Six String wrote:
souphound wrote:
Six String wrote:Our county still requires masks indoors so not sure why so many didn’t wear them other than covid fatigue and/or beligerence.


Same going on here especially with the newly started hockey season. Thousands and thousands, nary a mask. Scary.

In large crowds especially, there has to be a lot of "See? They're not wearing masks! Why should I?" going on. On top of everything else


At the only other indoor show I’ve been to, proof of vaccination and a mask was required. The room could seat 150 or so but there were only thirty people and we all naturally spaced ourselves apart. A couple came in after the lights went down and the music started and they were not wearing masks. The singer made a comment after the first song about how everyone was keeping us safe by wearing masks, etc. without pointing out the couple and it worked. They produced masks and wore them the entire time. They were the only people not following the rules so they really stood out, especially since they were sitting on the front row!


Here you are still supposed to wear a mask on public transport but no-one does. It is illogical really - these people don't protest about having to, say, drive on the left (in the UK), but the principle is the same (it is a government imposed requirement largely on the grounds of public safety). And they wear other clothes, which is simply conforming to a social norm, not even a public safety requirement!

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 3372
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Hightea » 18 Oct 2021, 15:57

Six String wrote:I went to a concert last night in an old theater that seats about 1,000 people. There were probably 900 people in attendance and I noticed quite a few without masks including people sitting next to me to the left and in the row in front of me. The acoustic bass was a bit boomy sounding so we moved from our second row seats near the p.a. to the upper section to escape that issue which was slightly improved and there we had empty rows around us so felt a little better in that way too. Our county still requires masks indoors so not sure why so many didn’t wear them other than covid fatigue and/or beligerence. Hard to know but it would be near impossible to enforce with a crowd that size outside of a general announcement. That kind of seals it for me for going to any significant sized venue until things improve a little. Wearing a mask for 2.5 hrs is no fun but at least it was a sit down, non dancing event.


SO I've been to a number of outdoor shows (vac required) and just about no one is wearing a mask. Earlier this summer we saw an indoor show but GA only about 70 people. Required Vac but most of the people inside wore masks. However, I've now been to two indoor shows in the past few weeks. Again required vac. but this time almost no one had masks on. BOth were sold out (or near soldout).

User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 26483
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby souphound » 18 Oct 2021, 17:28

Just bought tickets for an indoor gig just before XMas. Tickets have been on sale for a little while now. Still lots of good seats available and we're talking about a pretty happening duo (would be unknown to each and every one of you I would think, 2Freres).

Such tickets would have been gone on their first day of availability. I mean Xmas, Friday night, great venue, not too expensive at all, totally apropos popular band......

Good for me I guess. That'll be 2 months from now, so, it'll be interetin what the "situation" will be like by then.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 11530
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Glad Tidings Mission Hall

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Samoan » 20 Oct 2021, 12:20

My mask is staying firmly on in indoor spaces, food shopping & other crowded areas until more is known about the new variant AY.4.2, a sub-variant of Delta the BBC reported yesterday.
I think people are far too impatient for it all to be over and life before January 2020 to resume. I can easily wait to go to the cinema, a concert, the pub and restaurants.

When (due late November) I'm invited to book my booster, I'll go but the programme is dragging it's heels.
As I'm in England, I can book my booster six months (182 days) after my second Pfizer dose, either by appointment or at an NHS walk-in centre.

Most people will be offered a booster dose of Pfizer or half of a Moderna vaccine.
I'm not happy about this half Moderna dose I've heard about if that's the booster they are offering me as I've heard bad things about it from my young cousin in AZ.
She's young, fit, very sporty and active but her 2nd Moderna jab completely floored her for 3 or 4 days with a fever of 40*C.
Last edited by Samoan on 15 Nov 2021, 17:48, edited 2 times in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

User avatar
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24665
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby copehead » 29 Oct 2021, 10:14

I've got tickets for the Manics at Wembley in December, by then I will be quadruple vaccinated ( 2 AZ, 2 Pfizer ) , for boring reasons, and flu jabbed but it is a standing show at Wembley so I should be able to socially distance ( in my experience venues like Wembley sell roughly the same amount of tickets for a seated show as for a standing one for fire safety and evacuation reasons but as everyone crushes down the front it is empty from half way back - that is the hope ) and I will be wearing a mask when moving through crowded areas or even all the time depending on how I feel.

I wouldn't want to be in a cinema or seated show that was a sell out as the UK is Plague Island ( yet again, why is that????) at the moment.

But I am hoping to see Dune on a quiet midweek showing as I owe it to the teenager who ploughed through the first 3 volumes of that series without ever really understanding what the fuck was going on.

First restaurant visit, also requiring a tube train trip, in 2 weeks, to test the waters, a posh restaurant though so shouldn't be crammed in.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24665
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby copehead » 29 Oct 2021, 10:14

Deebank wrote:this made me chuckle:

Image


A question mark in a blue square? Some people are easily amused
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36248
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby yomptepi » 29 Oct 2021, 10:28

copehead wrote:
First restaurant visit, also requiring a tube train trip, in 2 weeks, to test the waters, a posh restaurant though so shouldn't be crammed in.


Salt Bae?
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24394
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Deebank » 29 Oct 2021, 13:38

yomptepi wrote:
copehead wrote:
First restaurant visit, also requiring a tube train trip, in 2 weeks, to test the waters, a posh restaurant though so shouldn't be crammed in.


Salt Bae?


:lol:

He's not (quite) that daft.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 24394
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: Ina beautiful place out in the country

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Deebank » 29 Oct 2021, 13:40

copehead wrote:
Deebank wrote:this made me chuckle:

Image


A question mark in a blue square? Some people are easily amused


It was an hilarious (and highly anti-christian, you'd have approved) meme. Some Xtian nutter exhorting others to give thanks to god for their survival when 1.6 million had died followed by two or there amens plus one wag saying "Thanks for killing 1.6 m god!"


You probably had to 'be there'. :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32710
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 14 Nov 2021, 16:56

I don't know about anyone else, but having been saturated with so much coverage both scientific and otherwise about Covid, I have tended to shy away from a lot of it in order to retain some sanity. However, this weekend I was glad to have listened to two things-

This:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 0541591083

A no-nonsense, enjoyable interview with Dr. Anthony Fauci and this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qlzh

A truly beautiful show that had Michael Rosen revisiting all the people who cared for him when he was on a ventilator with Covid. It's hard to describe the light that glows from this show, only that the voices that you hear are infused with a dedication to care that just sails through the airwaves. Staff describing pre-vaccination scenes where people were dying all around them - quickly and unexpectedly - and they would be caring for patients whilst crying their eyes out as dead bodies were removed from around them hour after hour. The stories from Rosen's wife about visiting him are just lovely.
I really recommend it.

Prior to him being a patient, a lot of staff didn't know that Rosen was the author of this poem below - and when they did they printed it out and pinned it up above his bed.



It was also interesting hearing the perspective of health staff working inside the hospital when the weekly applause started. One doctor said she walked to the window and could hear all this clapping and it was incredible. This was before vaccines, remember - when health care personnel were themselves dying through caring for the sick. Extraordinary. Fauci was talking in the podcast about the hate mail he gets. Someone who has spent his entire career working for public health. To hear him talking of what we have in our hands to potentially end this sooner and the frustration of trying to persuade people that it is a good thing to do for humanity. Two simultaneously depressing and inspiring shows.

I was remembering while listening to the programme about the NHS that there was a day that Jimbo called them baddies.

:lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Six String
Posts: 22534
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Corona kind of Life.

Postby Six String » 14 Nov 2021, 18:37

For better or worse I am feeling more relaxed in public. I still wear masks when required or when it makes sense. Outdoor events like last night feel very safe to me and I’ve had my Moderna booster twelve days now. The few indoor events I’ve attended required proof of vaccine and masks but I much prefer the small outdoor shows I’ve been to in recent months.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan